FSD48008 1/48th Seafire decals

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads up that my latest decal sheet has arrived and is available to order. This sheet includes options for nine different Post-War Fleet Air Arm Seafires, including marks XV, XVII, FR.46 and 47. They are designed for the new Airfix Mk.XVII and re-issued Mk.46/47 kits. Note a Mk.XV can also be made by cross kitting the Airfix Spitfire Mk.XII and Seafire XVII, although some scratch building will be required.

Options included on the sheet are (in EDSG/Sky scheme unless mentioned otherwise); Mk.XVII SX311/167 of 1833 RNVR 1952; Mk.XVII SX370/HF (overall HSS with trainer bands) of 728 Sqn Hal-Far 1950; Mk.XV SR572/112 of 1832 RNVR 1949; FR.47 VP480/180 of 800 NAS on HMS Triumph 1950 (Korean Stripes); Mk.XVII SX159/102 of 1831 RNVR 1946 (Temperate scheme); Mk.XV PR419/107 of 790 NAS 1946 (Temperate scheme); Mk.XV PR474/6-11 HMS Glory touring Australia 1946 (Temperate with BFP roundel and bar on fuselage only); Mk.XVII SX235/101 of 1831 RNVR 1951 and lastly FR.46 LA545/110 of 1833 RNVR 1948 (Temperate scheme).

Please note in order to get so many options on the A5 sheet, no 'D' type roundels are included. These can be sourced from the Airfix kits (which have Cartograf printed decals included) , but for one of the Mk.XV and three of the Mk.XVII options you still require two 36 inch roundels for the underside (as Airfix have chosen an option that has smaller roundels under the wings). No stenciling is included however both Airfix kits due out soon include comprehensive stencils. Special thanks are due to Airfix for assistance in giving advance information to assist the project.

This is a limited edition with initial print run of only 200 sheets, a re-run is not likely unless there is significant demand. Price of the sheet is £9.00 plus postage, I hope to have some on sale this saturday at Peterborough Model Show

You can place an order from my website here. If you prefer not to pay by PayPal I can take card orders by phone or cheques in the post, pm if of interest.

Thanks!

Colin

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models

Cheers Colin !

Sheet arrived today, excellent all round ! :D

All the best

Clive Roper

Glad you like it Clive, one of the options wouldn't be there without your help! I'm can guess which you might built first...

Colin

Colin, are you at Hinckley?

Unfortunately not, next show is Southern Expo. then Cosford. Sheets are selling well but I can't believe they will sell out that quick.

Colin

Another order sent in. Cheers Colin!

I don't think you will be disappointed. They are nicely presented with full colour instructions and have subjects which do not appear to have been covered before in this scale. One thing that did not occur to me though is that they will probably not be enough to finish an FR47. Colin has, quite reasonably, assumed that you will be using the kit markings for most of the roundels. This is probably fine for current releases, but the decals on the origianl release of the FR47 are generally regarded as poor. Certainly mine are not much cop. I dare say the decal sheet with the re-release will be considerably better, but in any event, post-war roundels should not be difficult to find and the stencils are fairly generic.

I don't think you will be disappointed. They are nicely presented with full colour instructions and have subjects which do not appear to have been covered before in this scale. One thing that did not occur to me though is that they will probably not be enough to finish an FR47. Colin has, quite reasonably, assumed that you will be using the kit markings for most of the roundels. This is probably fine for current releases, but the decals on the origianl release of the FR47 are generally regarded as poor. Certainly mine are not much cop. I dare say the decal sheet with the re-release will be considerably better, but in any event, post-war roundels should not be difficult to find and the stencils are fairly generic.

Quite right, I was assuming most would have the new release (due out November). This is the first sheet I have done with help from Airfix, including a test shot of the Mk.XVII to make sure the decals fit ok (the Roundel and bar marking have been made fractionally oversize to fit the deeper Mk.XII fuselage for cross kitting option). Airfix were very pro-active helping on this sheet, clearly taking onboard the opportunity for more sales if modellers buy aftermarket sheets, long may this continue (they also gave me info on the Sabre F.4 of which a future sheet includes one, option with correct wing honest!) .

I was also told the FR.47 re-issue (and all future kits) will have cartograf decals in the box, apologies to those working with the older boxing.

Colin