Bf109E-5 or E-9

Jon Freeman

Hi All.

Has anyone got a pic or a scale plan drawing of the recce camera pack carried by the Bf109E-5 or 9 variant?

Underside plan would be ace!

thanks

Jon

Jon,

I have quite a bit of reference material if you want..? Feel free to email me at,

[email protected]

Also have a look here,

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?boar...amp;thread=1872

For Luftwaffe Recce information.

Colin

Jon,

Which particular camera installation are you after as the 109 E never carried a 'recce camera pack' as such. Would it be the 'Robot' or Rb type of installation?

Also, you have to be very careful about determining which were experimental or 'one-off' installations and the standard camera fit.

It would also be helpful if you have the identity (Werk Nummer, unit etc) of the aircraft you are interested in as that would help to identify what if any camera equipment was carried.

I have copies of all the manuals and documents for the 109E to 109K camera installations (both experimental and actual fits).

Cheers

Dave

Jon,

Which particular camera installation are you after as the 109 E never carried a 'recce camera pack' as such. Would it be the 'Robot' or Rb type of installation?

Also, you have to be very careful about determining which were experimental or 'one-off' installations and the standard camera fit.

It would also be helpful if you have the identity (Werk Nummer, unit etc) of the aircraft you are interested in as that would help to identify what if any camera equipment was carried.

I have copies of all the manuals and documents for the 109E to 109K camera installations (both experimental and actual fits).

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave and Colin.

This is the aircraft I need details on.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/57871616@N06/5495255843/

Thanks

Jon

OK Jon,

I have photos of this particular aircraft so will pull them out and see what additional info I have.

However, unless I'm much mistaken, the fairing under the rear fuselage is the Peil Gerät direction finder.

A more definitive answer will follow as soon as I've checked the file.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98

Hi

I seem to recall a similar aircraft , that was discussed somewhere, and that it was a cover fot the antenna for Peil G IV for the FuG VIIa radio set.

Cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Jon,

The answer to your query is as follows:

The aircraft is a Bf 109E-3 and the bulge beneath the rear fuselage is for the Peil G IV antenna which was fitted for night fighting trials by JG 52.

This particular profile was done by Tom Tullis and can be found in the Classic Colours book on the Balkan Campaign.

Cheers

Dave

• 7 years later...
On 3/3/2011 at 1:05 PM, tango98 said:

Jon,

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but you are saying that there never was any actual recce versions of the Bf109E?

If so, it figures that everybody keeps repeating the same incorrect info on the Bf109E-5 & Bf109E-9 versions.

Did any of the Bf109E versions carry cameras other than gun cameras?

Larry Engesath

lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net

I looked to Book of Hannu Valtonen about Bf109 and found some information.

Bf109E-5

All are modified from E-1 planes. Camera installed was type Rb 21/18 and film was 60mm and gave possibility to take around 300 pictures. There was no radio installed.Between 11.6 and 26.6.1940 were delivered at least nine Bf109E-5 planes. Known loses are: War.3558,3883 (GA+GI) and 3889 (GA+GH). One possibility is that most of planes are consumed as normal E-1 in fighter squadrons. Hannu Valtonen gives total number of E-5's 29, but points that some sources give number 26.

Bf109E-9

These were modified planes and equipped with Rb 50/30 cameras and it was possible take around 380 pictures. There was option to use drop tank and engine was DB601/N. Know loses are WNr 4965, 4967 and 4971 so very few examples were made by Arado. One known in UK force landed plane is known to be WNr 4970 is somewhere  stated to be E-7. Force landing happened January 1942. That plane was equipped with Rb 50/30 and robot cameras replaced wing guns. Total production is unknown maybe 9 planes.

Br. Vesa

4970, 4U+SH of the 1.(F)/123 shot down over Buckfastleigh, Devon on 17 January 1942. Identified at the time as an E-7 from main data plate recovered from wreckage. Also recorded in the Gen.Qu.6. Abt. returns as an E-7.

The pilot, Uffz. K. Thüner baled out and was taken prisoner.

Cheers

Dave