My aircraft drawings

Lieuwe

• 1 month later...

I have been working on my Starfighters some more, this time more colourfull machines;

First a Belgian Tigermeet paintscheme

F-104G_BAF_FX52_TigerMeet_finished.jpg

A German design in bright yellow

2167_Geier_27042011_1250-3.jpg

Another German design in the colours of the national flag

F-104G_2550_JBG-34_25thAnniversary_1250.jpg

And two machines from the Marineflieger Vikings team

F-104G_2663_Vikings_MFG-2_040511.jpg

F-104G_2672_Vikings_MFG-2_040511.jpg

Another question, does anyone here have any good pictures of the lion on the tail of the below aircraft?

F-104G_2063_Bavaria_04052011.jpg

I have the ones that are on 916-starfighters.de but those are too small to really draw any details from.

Thanks guys :) I just got a collection of vector RAF and RN squadron markings from a friend, some what-ifs are in the pipeline!

Hi Greased_Lightning :) I am using Photoshop for these, it makes it a lot easier to do different colourschemes.

Another prominent NATO 104 variant, Norwegian Airforce CF-104.

CF_104_104900_RNoAF_11052011.jpg

This particular aircraft was the last of the Canadair built Starfighters, it served in Europe with the Canadian airforce from 1963 until 1971 when it was withdrawn from service and eventually sold to the Norwegian airforce where it returned to operational service in 1974. It was lost on the 18th of January 1983 when it crashed in the sea 15 km from Bodo after the pilot lost control at low altitude, the pilot managed to eject safely but the plane was lost.

Nope! I do them all in Photoshop :) Makes it much easier to do subvariants and different paintschemes.

You do them all in Photoshop? You must spend a lot of time on there then? Do you use many add ons for Photoshop & which version are you using. Also do you do your line work in Illustrator first or is that all done in photoshop. Also what size & resolution do you work at for each drawing. Fantastic work from a fellow Photoshop user (CS.2).

Well I can't do the linedrawings for the life of me so I have a friend who does them for me or I find them at website like airwar.ru though those are very inaccurate. The entire planes is drawn with paths, gradient fills, selections and the paint bucket ;) To get the template to this level takes about 2 - 3 months if you would work on it full time which I can't so the 104 this far has taken about a year to do to this level where I can do the final paintschemes. It is 6000 pixels nose to tail, about 450 mb on disk (though subvariants like the CF-104 and the German ones with the different exhaust and ejection seat are in different PSD's which are about the same size each). I use just use Photoshop CS5 on a MacBookPro without any addons to photoshop, I don't even use that whole 3D stuff though it looks tempting but somehow feels like cheating :)

Well I can't do the linedrawings for the life of me so I have a friend who does them for me or I find them at website like airwar.ru though those are very inaccurate. The entire planes is drawn with paths, gradient fills, selections and the paint bucket ;) To get the template to this level takes about 2 - 3 months if you would work on it full time which I can't so the 104 this far has taken about a year to do to this level where I can do the final paintschemes. It is 6000 pixels nose to tail, about 450 mb on disk (though subvariants like the CF-104 and the German ones with the different exhaust and ejection seat are in different PSD's which are about the same size each). I use just use Photoshop CS5 on a MacBookPro without any addons to photoshop, I don't even use that whole 3D stuff though it looks tempting but somehow feels like cheating :)

I did start a line drawing of a Lightning taxying at Bruntingthorpe and boy does it take a while, so I can understand what with proper work commitments how long it would take. The drawing is a bit ambitious (for me anyway). I was going to paint over or blend the JPEG of the photograph into what should look like an illustration & import that underneath the vector line drawing in Illustrator. That's my aim & doing it on my iBook G4 it is possible but a bit slow! I do like the way you have done the lighting and those panel lines though. Superb & very crisp artwork!

regards

Martin

• 1 month later...

TF-104_4-44_MM54553_20stormo.jpg

More work done on my two-seater :) Going to do it in configuration for TF's first suitable for the C2 and MB seat variant. After that I am reworking it to a F-104F standard.

Hi! I do commissions though the price depends on wether I have done the aircraft type and the intended use for the finished drawing :) If I haven't done the type yet it might take a while to get it done because I am not a faster drawer, most projects take me about 3 months from the start. Feel free to shoot me a email at lieuwe dot mail at gmail dot com with any questions. My work is published for sale to the general public by a Italian company called aviation graphic run by a friend of mine Ugo Crisponi :)

TF-104_19062011_1250.jpg

C2 ejection seat configuration done, which is isn't correct for this italian machine but adding the MB seats should be easy enough!

Some final edits and I am about ready to call this one done!

TF-104_4-44_MM54553_20stormo_2.jpg

TF-104G-M 4-44 MM54553 of the 20th Stormo Italian Airforce