Airbrushing Vallejo Gloss Varnish

MakingModelsAgain

Have just sprayed (for the first time) with Vallejo Gloss in prep for decals and weathering and the result is about as shiny as a brick wall. I first diluted with water - as per instructions - but nothing. Then neat, but still not even a satin finish, just a slightly rough feel. Spraying at app 20-25psi. Any hints...?

I do have Klear, so was wondering if I should use that instead?

I was literally about to start spraying with this for the first time....I think I'll mark time for a moment...

Let's hope the wisened members of BM have some advice.

Spraying at app 20-25psi. Any hints...?

thers your problem. too high! its drying on contact and leaving behind dots. lower it to below 20. i usually spray at 15 or a bit higher. when thers a lot of paint i lower it to under 15 so the wet paint wont run!

Thanks Adrian!

Well, I tried a coat at 15psi-ish and now have a textured finish, but that's no doubt due to what I was already working on! Hehehe.... So not only back to the drawing board, but also the cupboard where I keep the Fairy Power Spray! So it's off with this coast (second time!) and a fresh start tomorrow!(third time lucky!)

If you want to remove the ''textured finish'' and restore the surface to a smooth finish just went sand it a little and re spray. i always wet sand when i have imperfections after gloss.

Thanks again Adrian, I thought about that, but it's only a wee 1/144 Eurofighter Typhoon and that makes for a fiddly proposition. God knows how many times I've broken off the front stabilisers and now that she's fully loaded, there's a lot to snap off! :)

For future reference, Klear does not need to be sprayed on. It brushes on very well and self-levels, leaving a smooth glossy surface for decalling. I have had similar experience to yourself with Vallejo gloss and have not managed to find the right way of spraying it as yet. I would suggest lower pressure and closer spraying distance from the model.

Definatly too high a pressure.

I spray at about 15psi using vellejo airbrush cleaner to thin and have had nothing but perfect results with vellejo varnish

Julien

• 1 month later...

The downloadable manual states one drop of Vallejo Airbrush thinner for every three drops of paint.

I always do that, even with the Gloss Varnish and spray it at 10 PSI. Spray it kind of 'wet', don't mist it, really!

Works every time.

20 to 25 PSI is WAY too high, can't remember when I used that high a pressure other than cleaning. But that's me.

• 5 years later...

As per the shelf life I've got a bottle almost 5 years and it's not gone yellow yet. As for the gloss level, well it's not great. When you paint it just seems to soak into the base colour and never goes glossy. It ends up dry and gritty. Best clears for high gloss are auto clears as used on full size cars. But they can be problematic over model paint and lift or even melt it..