SAM Publication F4U Corsair

POMPEO

New Aviation Datafile from SAM Publications

The Vought F4U Corsair remains one of the most distinctive and popular aircraft of World War II, and its unique inverted gull wing design combined with the colorful characters of some of the aces who gained fame flying it in combat has added to its mystique. In addition, the Corsair was used effectively not only by the United States Navy and Marines, but also saw distinguished service in the Fleet Air Arm in Great Britain and the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Thus the Corsair has a multi-national appeal making it an enigmatic subject and therefore a vital addition to the Datafile series. Authors Rafe Morrissey and Joe Hedgus bring the story of the Corsair vividly to life, with copious photographic illustrations, colour side profiles and scale plans. This is a must have book for the aviation enthusiast and historian alike.

The book is priced at £19.99 plus p+p and for ordering details go to www.sampublications.com or email sarah@sampublications.com

However, as for modelling content...

15 pages out 144, of which 7 are pictures of completed kits with text briefly describing each manufacturers kits in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scales, with another 2 pages of accessories and the last page listing 15 decal sheets (a quick search on the Hannants website shows 38) plus the usual 4 double sided pull out page of line drawings in 1/48.

As with the Harrier release, it would have been nice to see a really in depth build in either 1/48 or 1/32 scale and while there are also 7 pages of colour side views, period B&W and colour detail pictures, as well as images of restored airframes, I don't really think that these are now aimed at the modeller. Further and although I haven't checked personally, I would guess that many of the photographs included, could possibly be found freely on the internet.

Is it worth £24.00 (including P&P), quite possibly and please don't get me wrong, its a well produced and professional photo album, with minimum text but a Modellers Datafile, no and certainly not in the same league as the Datafiles that were originally published and as such will be the last that I will be buying.

However, as for modelling content...

... I don't really think that these are now aimed at the modeller.

Is it worth £24.00 (including P&P), quite possibly and please don't get me wrong, its a well produced and professional photo album, with minimum text but a Modellers Datafile, no and certainly not in the same league as the Datafiles that were originally published and as such will be the last that I will be buying.

I note that although the initials "MDF" appear on the cover, SAM Publications refer to it as an "Aviation Data File." It seems they are doing much the same as they did with MAM. They tweaked the name then wound down the modelling content to zero. I suspect they feel that the "pure" aviation enthusiasts are a more lucrative market who are put off by material aimed specifically at modellers. I am not saying that the book will not be of interest to modellers and I'd certainly like to see inside a copy, but I do like the Modellers Data File concept and think it is a shame the publishers no longer seem interested in it.

Edited by davidelvy

Hi

I have given up on these and similar titles, and tend to get the info I need from the original manuals produced in WW2, and from the relevant websites. I personally am never to sure on the accuracy of some of the stuff they use in the new books, i.e. could be based on restored a/c which are not necessarily the same as an original build.

cheers

Jerry

There appear to be a couple of strands to the Datafile series - mine, on the Hunter and next up the Firefly, will most assuredly be created with the modeller in mind.

The Firefly book is a truely Britmodeller venture, with all-new colour profiles by Srecko Bradic, all-new plans by Mark Gauntlet, a total of 10 builds by myself and Tony O'Toole in 1/72 and 1/48, and lots of walkaround photos from myself, Gary Hatcher and Mark Peapell.

This will be the same format as my Hunter book, and I am looking at further titles in the same vein.

A couple of teasers for you:

14-FireflyFR5WB286.jpg

Firefly01-1.jpg

And I hope that you will not "judge a book by its cover" but take time to look at each title individually before dismissing the series. :)

Nice to see the Firefly in profile. I built my PP Aeroparts Firefly in the scheme shown in the profile using inkjet printed decals from the series of decal sheets provided as downloads by Scale Aviation Modeller. Was a bit concerned that inkjet printing would not be dense enough but by using the 'best photo quality' option it came out OK. I look forward to seeing the Firefly book - when is it due out?

There appear to be a couple of strands to the Datafile series - mine, on the Hunter and next up the Firefly, will most assuredly be created with the modeller in mind.

And I hope that you will not "judge a book by its cover" but take time to look at each title individually before dismissing the series. :)

I had noticed there is considerable variation between datafile titles. I was dismayed by what happened to MAM and thought the publishers might be pushing the Datafiles in the same direction. I don't have the Hunter Datafile, but from what you say the book on the Firefly sounds more like the type of format which would appeal to me.

As for the usefulness of the titles in the series I have been very pleased with the ones I have bought. When I got back into modelling I relied heavily on the two Spitfire titles which enabled me to gain a lot of knowledge very quickly. Of course, I now realise there are inaccuracies and further reading has enabled me to spot them, but I still think they were an excellent purchase.

Edited by davidelvy

Hi Paul,

nice news about your books, this books ill be release By SAM Publications?

i waiting for

cheers

Cheers, guys!

I'm not sure exactly when it'll be released yet - sometime over the summer. The new SAM ad in the April edition will feature details, and you'll be able to pre-order the book.

For those who have been unhappy with MAM, the good news is that it is reverting back to its old format, starting with the April issue.

Cheers, guys!

I'm not sure exactly when it'll be released yet - sometime over the summer. The new SAM ad in the April edition will feature details, and you'll be able to pre-order the book.

For those who have been unhappy with MAM, the good news is that it is reverting back to its old format, starting with the April issue.

Glad to hear MAM is reverting back. I for one was not at all happy with the revised format that got away from modeling and let my subscriptions to both MAM and SAM lapse as a result.

• 2 weeks later...