Beurling's EP706

maltadefender

Hi all,

Just getting my ducks in a row to build 12 x Spits in 12 weeks for the Spitmodel GB. One of them will be 'Screwball' Beurling's 249 Sqn T-L EP706, which is often portrayed in desert scheme with a red spinner, but in the Malta Spitfire Aces book and the only photo I've found looks blue-grey.

Apparently 249 over-painted its aircraft from later deliveries (EP706 arrived in July '42), but it does fly in the face of a lot of models. It's pretty clear that there was something of an 'anything goes' attitude by the autumn of 1942, but if there are any thoughts from dab ands Id be grateful. Here are the pics:

Beurling in EP706 - looks like desrt scheme showing through in the scuffs on the wing root but overall single colour.

CIMG2781.jpg

Contemporary in desert scheme:

CIMG2784.jpg

Keith Park with a hotch-potch Spit in the background:

CIMG2783.jpg

Profile of EP706 in blue-grey:

CIMG2787.jpg

Similar thread here: Topic Linky

I have decals for EP706/T-L but no ref that indicated it was Beurling's, not even the instructions. Just "249 Squadron, Malta" I also have the IPMS Canada set that has a Vb for Beurling, BR301/UF-S. The link above indicated BR301 was a Vc; I'm getting confused... :unsure:

I'm planning the build, and will use Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky Blue for EP706/T-L, just to see how it comes out.

Regards,

Tim

Similar thread here: Topic Linky

I have decals for EP706/T-L but no ref that indicated it was Beurling's, not even the instructions. Just "249 Squadron, Malta" I also have the IPMS Canada set that has a Vb for Beurling, BR301/UF-S. The link above indicated BR301 was a Vc; I'm getting confused... :unsure:

I'm planning the build, and will use Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky Blue for EP706/T-L, just to see how it comes out.

Regards,

Tim

Many thanks Tim... looks like I'll be doing some thinned-out Extra Dark Sea Grey washes over desert scheme then!

249 painted over their Spitfires from the very first deliveries, not just later on. Although there is some evidence for EDSG, fresh paint might look a little dark for all except those just oversprayed. I've considered adding a little blue to Dark Sea Grey to get a more weathered finish, but haven't tried it yet. I don't think it was a case of "anything goes" as the scheme does seem to be dominant, at least at Takali and in 249 Sq, Although apparently at least one 1345 Flt Spitfire has ben suggested as being overall Mid Stone, perhaps!

The photo of T.B is often identified as 249 Sq, for obvious reasons, but has recently been identified as being in a Middle East OTU, together with a smiilar aircraft in an unotherwise unidentifiable code - F.A, I think, certainly F. something.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for joining in - your thoughts always appreciated. I'm going to try different solutions on all four Malta Spits planned, starting with desert and then overpainting with grey and blue washes, hopefully I'll end up close!

Yes it does seem that 249 pioneered overpainting, although I still agree with the Maltese guys that the initial Spit delivery Spotter was with Vbs in Temperate Land Scheme. That's remarkable about T-B though!

Every delivery except Calendar was in desert scheme. The aircraft from the first delivery was repainted in a dark blue-grey within days of arrival - see photo and description in Malta: The Spitfire Year. The complete giveaway on this batch (only) is the white serials.

If I could remember who told me about T.B I'd be able to find the email with the details! I've just replaced my computer and have (briefly) delved into the old files to sort them out but not found this. It might have been Steve Nichols.

I went back and reviewed my references and it appears all the Spitfires delivered to Malta were Vc. Was EP706 and/or BR301 Vc or Vb? I've looked for that website that has the serial production batches, but cannot find it now (thought it was bookmarked). I've since found 3 sets of decals for EP706/T-L so will try the same kit with variations on the blue/blue-grey as discussed here. I do want the basic aircraft variant to be right, though.

Okay, found it: Spitfire Production

BR301 VcT 2853 EA M46 FF 24-4-42 6MU 25-4-42 RAF Renfrew 28-4-42 ff Malta 249S 8-6-42 Damaged by Bf109s while landing Takali 29-7-42 SOC 31-7-42 FH54.20

EP706 Vb CBAF M46 38MU 25-7-42 RAF Abbotsinch 3-8-42 ff Malta 6-9-42 249S C2 ops 12-10-42 Engine cut abandoned 23m N of Valletta Malta 3-3-43

Which is interesting, as the Vb arrived later, after the Vc. Which tells me I can build EP307/T-L as a Vb with the later roundels and if/when I build BR301/UF-S I should do it as a Vc with the earlier style roundels.

Tim

Edited by Greenshirt

The first deliveries were Mk.Vb, Mk.Vc beginning with the two deliveries on the USS Wasp, and both Mk.Vb and Vc following later. They seem to have been treated interchangeably as fighters, although the Mk.Vc will have become the fighter-bombers. However, as RAF Malta developed their own modification for underwing bombs, so perhaps even that isn't an entirely safe assumption!