Any tips for spraying Xtracrylix

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi gang -

I have an Aztex 470, and use Xtracrylix thinners, but wondering what pressures and paint-to-thinner ratios people find work well. I've sprayed it before and had good results and bad results - pretty sure I thinned paint to same milky consistency each tiem, so just looking for some tips.

I'm using Xtracylix for my RF-5E as they have all 3 FS grays I need without having to mix.

Cheers

Jonners

Hi Jon

I use Xtracrylix through a dual-action Iwata HP-CS. I usually thin the paint to skimmed milk consistency and mix it thoroughly in the pot - although often the paint is good 'as is'.

I always add a couple of drops of Windsor and Newton acrylic flow improver (per half a cup of paint) and give it a quick mix before apreaying at about 15psi. In general (!) that works and the paint usually provides a nice semi-gloss finish.

Too thick a consistency and the nozzle clogs and/or the paint will come out with a grainy finish and the coverage will be uneven.

HTH

Andy

I think whatever you do the tip will clog up so a cotton bud soaked in IPA is the first thing you need.

I thin their paint about 50\50 with their own brand thinners and add a drop or two of flow aid to slow down the drying time. Pressure about 15psi and mist on very light coats to start with and thats about it.

I find some colours spray better than other but thats probably down to my gung ho approach to mixing ratios. They spray better when its not too hot.

I use a Badger 200 with a medium needle/head and I've had little trouble. As for thinning, I tend to use Wilkinson's screenwash.

I had endless problems with the Aztec - spitting, clogging, a weird 'marbleing' effect as the paint dried - and this was after really thinning down the paint. So much so, I was overjoyed when I went back to the single action Badger and have had no problems at all.

Using an Aztek as well I thin to 50/50 with own thinner. Spray at about 17 psi. Always have a cotton wool tab with alcohol at hand to clear clogging at the tip. I have been using green and ocean gray and they spray beautifully to a nice semi gloss finish.

I also use an Aztek and Xtracrylix. Sometimes it's OK thin, sometimes it's OK a little thicker. Sometimes dropping the pressure helps, sometimes it doesn't. what I will say is that Sky seems the worst. I just try to get the whole operation over as quickly as possible before the tip gets filled with something resembling cream cheese.

Cheers chaps - I think i'll try the flow improver trick.

Jonners

You won't go far wrong with that Jonners - you'll still get a little clogging on the tip, but it'll be much reduced, and the cotton wool bud soaked in thinners should sort that. As someone else said, Xtracrylix doesn't like being applied heavily to begin with, and can bead up, even if thinned correctly. A mist coat first, then you can spray with more confidence :)

You won't go far wrong with that Jonners - you'll still get a little clogging on the tip, but it'll be much reduced, and the cotton wool bud soaked in thinners should sort that. As someone else said, Xtracrylix doesn't like being applied heavily to begin with, and can bead up, even if thinned correctly. A mist coat first, then you can spray with more confidence :)

Thanks again for the further advice.

Can this beading occur when spraying another colour on top of an already applied one (ie a camo scheme), or it is just theintial coats onto bare plastic/ primer?

cheers

jonners

Thanks again for the further advice.

Can this beading occur when spraying another colour on top of an already applied one (ie a camo scheme), or it is just theintial coats onto bare plastic/ primer?

cheers

jonners

Generally primer, and most definitely plastic... I wouldn't spray any acrylic directly on plastic myself :S

Jonners,

Thin you xtracrylix with valejho airbrush cleaner, not thinner.

This stuff has a slight amount of ethylene glycol in it and acts to retard the paint. I shoot this trhough my Iwata with no problems at all, never had any cloging at the tip.

Julien

• 2 weeks later...

What about thickness ie how many passes? Lighter colours like Sky are easy to judge as I spray until the colour is "solid" but recently I did 2 passes using Extra Dark Sea grey and then promptly micro-meshed staight through it! (It was a very gentle sand just to lose a slight roughness to the touch.)

Is it worth leaving the model for 15 minutes after it looks OK and giving then it a last coat or is that asking for trouble?

I appreciate that for the more advanced effects lightness of touch, is what its all about and you do not want to lose the etched detail but as a beginner I am doing just simple 2 main colour schemes . (Airfix Seahawks are good due to the simple but attractive schemes, sharp edges to the colours and no etched detail.)

• 1 month later...

Really love Xtracrylix as they give the most beautiful finish IMHO.

Had lots of problems getting used to them.

Wrote to Hannants about that.

Got the following reply(by David Hanants himself!): Two parts thinner (!!!!) to one part paint, a few drops pf windscreen washer fluid, sprayed at 10 to 15 psi should work.

Guess what: it did.

Didn't add screen fluid so that's maybe why i still got a little paint build up. But for that i dab at the needle every few minutes with a brush soaked in Valejo airbrush cleaner.

Hope that helps.

I've tried various forms of thinners and for some reason the paint starts spraying well then becomes matt almost gritty. Have now ditched all my Xtracrylix and use enamels or Citadel if only requiring a basic colour. They spray brilliantly when thinned properly and don't clog up like Xtracrylix can. The finish is a little less smooth but I have put decals staight onto an unprepared surface with no silvering or adhering problems. They do have some odd names but some of the range are close approximations to mainstream colours. Recently used a green and purple Citadel for an Albatross and it looked Alright. Now have a dark grey colour of theirs which hopefully will be going onto my Sea fury. Of course Gunze colours are good as well. I have a linen colour of theirs which I've had for years already thinned and it sprayed without fault onto my OEF 153.