Removing Acrylic paint from a model

Jasonb13

Hi there,

I'm currently painting a model with Revell Aqua Colour paint. I've found out online that there's an alternate paint scheme I could go with, and I think I'd like to try it. However, I've already painted that particular portion of the model with the first paint scheme.

So, I was thinking I can either just paint over that section with the new colour, or remove the old colour first. The only reason I might not go with the first option is that the paint might look a bit thick, what with 1-2 coats of the new colour on top of 2 coats of the old colour. And the reason I might not go with the second option is that I could make a mess of the model / plastic!

I've got Revell's Aqua Colour Clean, which is for removing dry Revell Aqua colour paint, though I think it's more aimed at cleaning old brushes. Does anyone know if I put some of this on a cotton bud and cleaned the area I want to repaint, would it come out ok, or ruin the plastic? Should I just paint over the old colour with the new to play it safe? I'd be painting a light grey over a dark grey, but to be fair to Revell's paints, the light grey has pretty decent colour coverage so I wouldn't be too worried about the dark grey showing through, I just don't want to lose detail due to so many layers of paint!

Any tips or advice is appreciated as always!

J.

I use either isopropol or denatured alchohol on a cotton ball or q-tip depending on the size of the area in question. This will not leave streaks or affect the plastic in any way although it does take a few minutes to clean large areas. Just make sure you zip a knife through the panel lines before you respray to ensure they are not inadvertently filled in.

Chris

I use Fairey (not always this product) washing liquid mixed with water to wash/clean models after or before paint to remove dirt/grease. Is Fairy Power spray a much stronger solution maybe??

much!

I used to soak my Aztek nozzles in it, it take them apart, soak in power spray for a day, reassemble and bingo, as good as new.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies!

It's only 2 small areas I'm thinking of repainting, both a few square cms only. However, they're both very much in view, it's not like they're under the model! I don't want to sand in case I lose some detail ( I don't trust my sanding skills! ).

I've done the sensible thing and put 2 coats of the colour onto some sprue. Tomorrow I'll try a cotton bud & some Revell Aqua Colour Clean, and if that doesn't behave itself I can try some of the Fairy Power instead! Thanks for all your help, as always...

J.

Just to give an answer to this thread, I tried a cotton bud with Revell Aqua Colour Clean on the piece of sprue and it rubbed off the paint pretty quickly, but after a few hours the plastic itself was still fine ( and the part number I'd deliberately painted over didn't lose any of its detail ).

So I took the plunge and cleaned the two parts of the model, just using cotton buds and Aqua Colour Clean. It seems to have worked perfectly, I'm gonna let it dry and then get a coat over it and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the advice!

J.

• 6 years later...

I just had an acrylic paint job go wrong and wondered about how to remove it. I tried a little 'Ultimate Airbrush cleaner' and while it workedI thought that it was going to be expensive and looked for something cheaper, like IPA. Where do you get IPA? Answer - de-icing spray. It works a treat when used with steel wool plus it gives a lovely surface finish. I then washed it with sugar soap to remove any tacky bits.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2011 at 8:46 PM, AdriaN (MLT) said:

How can Fairy Power spray ... a dish cleaner, clean dried acrylic?? :hypnotised:

Hi Adrian,

Believe me it can, and it's bl**dy good at it too. It's my first choice for removing acrylics such as Vallejo and Lifecolor. Mind you, you have to get the original stuff if you can, as I have heard the scented versions isn't as good.

Best Wishes,

Will.