Il2 Sturmovik

This is what has been keeping me busy for the last few weeks, Italeri's reboxing of the Accurate Miniatures Il2

italeri2657reviewbg_1.jpg

It's a jolly nice kit - clean, crisp and nicely detailed and the cockpit is a peach

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I worked from both the words & pictures AM instructions (found here) and the simpler Italeri instructions. The AM instructions are a must for the assembly of the lower wing, but I ignored both when it came to installing the pit. The instructions would have you mount the pit onto the lower wing and then insert the lot into the upper fuselage. Well, a bit of a dry run proved to me that it would never fly so I fitted the pit into the fuselage first and then attached the lower wing. A lot of dry fitting was necessary to get the relative position of the three sub-assemblies just so - a correct fit is essential here.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

As usual, the colours are all brushed on apart from the trusty Halfords white primer and the blue underside and sand upper colour are both homebrews, mixed to "look right" rather than to be accurate.

And the finished article was weathered with paint chips, dust and rather dodgy exhaust staining. I think I should have left the upper deck matt.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with this one and it marks my penultimate 1/48 kit before I transition fully to 1/72.

Predvaritelʹnyĭ torzhestvenno, tovarishchi!

Very nice work I liked the build pics.

Nice one :) Having recently finished the Eduard edition of this kit I know there are parts that can be a bit tricky. How did you get on gluing the cowling together and keeping it all in the correct alignment? What did you think of the way the landing gear attaches? Did you swear a lot when trying to get the landing gear extension/retraction strut into the landing gear nacelle? ;)

That's very nice indeed! What did you use for the upper surface colours?

I'm doing Eduard's 1/72 version and they would have you believe that the rear gunner has no seat and it looks that on yours the poor bloke has to stand too?

Trevor

Ницца построить другу.

BB

Spasiba tovarich!

Nice one :) Having recently finished the Eduard edition of this kit I know there are parts that can be a bit tricky. How did you get on gluing the cowling together and keeping it all in the correct alignment? What did you think of the way the landing gear attaches? Did you swear a lot when trying to get the landing gear extension/retraction strut into the landing gear nacelle? ;)

Cowling - tricky! I thought I had it sussed, so I primed it and it still looked OK, then I painted it and it was clearly out of true! Bah! and yes, the landing gear was a bit of pig!

That's very nice indeed! What did you use for the upper surface colours?

I'm doing Eduard's 1/72 version and they would have you believe that the rear gunner has no seat and it looks that on yours the poor bloke has to stand too?

Trevor

Upper surface brown was really just a combination of whatever colours I had to hand in the right quantities to make the right hue. It was even based on an earlier homebrew, so there's no formula for it. Green was Tamiya NATO Green, lifted with white and the grey is a homebrew EDSG.

Edited by crookedmouth

It's correct, he didn't have a seat! The Soviets added the gunner after so many Sturmoviks were lost to attacks from German fighters. They weren't too bothered about his survival, indeed I think the casualty rates among Il-2 rear gunners was pretty horrific. The first Il-2s to have gunners were field modifications where they cut a hole in the fuselage behind the cockpit and mounted a machine gun. When they started to build the aircraft with rear gunner positions again it was only a half-hearted attempt. The gunner sat outside the armoured tub that protected the pilot and engine and he didn't have a seat, just a piece of leather or canvas strung across the fuselage sides, a bit like a hammock for his backside. I don't think AM included this in their original plastic, but Eduard added it as a photo etch part.

If you have a look you can just make it out on the model above - a leather colour strap just behind the machine gun....

Edited by Pielstick

Cowling - tricky! I thought I had it sussed, so I primed it and it still looked OK, then I painted it and it was clearly out of true! Bah! and yes, the landing gear was a bit of pig!

I definitely found the cowling and landing gear to be the most challenging parts of the kit. It looks like you've done a good job of it though.

I don't think AM included this in their original plastic, but Eduard added it as a photo etch part.

If you have a look you can just make it out on the model above - a leather colour strap just behind the machine gun....

They did indeed include a horrible piece of plastic to represent the canvas strap. I made a replacement out of tape and wire ...

DSCN6749-600.jpg

DSCN6755-600.jpg

Here's what the actual thing looked like ...

Image2-600.jpg

....Nice one Campbell...tough but ugly brute don't you think?......once again I am trying to keep up with you!!.....

Edited by Fozzy

Very nice Ruskie flying tank, :speak_cool: Can I ask what colour you used for the pit ?

Si.

Cheers.

Yet another homebrew, mostly Tamiya Sky but with a dash of DSG and some white. Looking at Ant's piccy, perhaps I needed less white and more DSG...