Westland Wallace questions ...

JOAN

Hi,

Just about the silly idea to make a Wallace from the DH9 Roden and a CMK Pegasus :

-Anybosy have a drawing or a photo about the wings slats ?

- What is the correct colour for the anti glare area on the fuselage ? It is look like a dark green ???

Thanks in advance

O.

It may be more difficult than you think - there are few, if any, parts in common between a DH9 and a Wallace. The Wallace inherited the same wing planform as the DH9a, which was different from the DH9's:

DH9: span 42' 4½", wing area 434 ft²

DH9a: span 45 ft 11½", wing area 486¾ ft²

Wallace: span 46' 5", wing area 488 ft²

It may be more difficult than you think - there are few, if any, parts in common between a DH9 and a Wallace. The Wallace inherited the same wing planform as the DH9a, which was different from the DH9's:

DH9: span 42' 4½", wing area 434 ft²

DH9a: span 45 ft 11½", wing area 486¾ ft²

Wallace: span 46' 5", wing area 488 ft²

Thanks a lot !! another bad idea....

I suppose there is no DH9A in 1/48...?

I probably have to start from a Wapiti....in 1/72 !

O.

Thanks a lot !! another bad idea....

I suppose there is no DH9A in 1/48...?

I probably have to start from a Wapiti....in 1/72 !

O.

The Wapiti and Wallace fuselages are very different in shape and dimension and as others have pointed out the Houston Wallace was quite different from the standard military machine.

John

• 10 years later...

Hi guys,

I am building a Westland Wallace from Frog (in fact I am working on a conversion to Mk. II) and found that I have no photos of the dashboard as well as good photos of the cockpit. This is strange because there are many photos of the fuselage from the Hendon Museum and the front cockpit is shrouded in mystery. At the very beginning I was going to use the same dashboard as for Wapiti, then the same as for PV6, now I see that it differs from Hendon Wallace (as I can tell from some photos)

So the question is, are there any good pictures of the Westland Wallace cockpit with the dashboard? If so, then I really appreciate it if anyone could share this.

On 2/21/2011 at 6:44 AM, JOAN said:

Hi,

Just about the silly idea to make a Wallace from the DH9 Roden and a CMK Pegasus :

-Anybosy have a drawing or a photo about the wings slats ?

- What is the correct colour for the anti glare area on the fuselage ? It is look like a dark green ???

Thanks in advance

O.

NIVO, as the others have said. I have linked an excerpt from Urban's paint color reference chart that gives an FS595 equivalent, Humbrol mixing formula, and a Tamiya color. If you have access to a color chip chart, you can check it for reference. I think FS 34096 is pretty close, and that color is available from numerous paint lines. I have not seen the Tamiya or Humbrol colors. Perhaps one of our 'tween the wars experten came be of more assistance. I used Modelmaster FS 34096 enamel on my 1/72 Siskin, and it was a good match to the color chip I have. IIRC, I had to add a few drops of grey to the paint out of the bottle, but I built that kit back in 1986, so I'm kinda fuzzy on the formula- the ol' Mk 1a memory banks ain't what they used to be! (Maybe a query in either the WW1 or Interwar  forums might be worth a shot?)

Mike

FS:34096Nivo6*Hu:116 + 6*Hu:117 + 1*Hu:163T:XF-61

Mike, thanks for your info but I am afraid that the question you answered is not longer relevant. Author asked about this more than 10 years ago))

Or maybe it is my fault and I had to create a new topic for my question🤔

Anyway, my question not about the colors, but about the cockpit. are there any pictures of the Westland Wallace cockpit with the dashboard?

If you look for drawing those drawings are perhaps OK

Westland_Wallace_3-view_NACA-AC-179.png

Some idea on insides you can get from preserved machine https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000542275.html

the dashboard of flight over Everest machine is here

https://www.wondersofworldaviation.com/everest.html 

Some differences with regular machine must be there, unfortunatelly...

Here you may find the Wapity cockpit

https://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/aircraft/past/901-wapiti.html#gsc.tab=0

And piece of Mk II

westland_wallace_mk_ii-71821.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Aldersieg.    Have you tried the Newark Air Museum ?  they found the remains of a Westland Wallace K6035 on RAF Cranwell North airfield in 1961 and it was restored for Hendon RAF Museum. Both Newark and Hendon Museum's and Skysport Engineeering archive's may be able to help.

• Like 1