Questions about Rudel's Fw 190D

Master Zen

I'm doing the finishing touches on Rudel's Fw 190D but I have a question: Did it have the "white dots" (stencils) on the wings which indicated the no step areas? I'm guiding myself on the Hasegawa instructions (found on 1999.co.jp) and it doesn't have them. I figured being so late in the war it could have been quite bare bones

Thanks!

I'm doing the finishing touches on Rudel's Fw 190D but I have a question: Did it have the "white dots" (stencils) on the wings which indicated the no step areas? I'm guiding myself on the Hasegawa instructions (found on 1999.co.jp) and it doesn't have them. I figured being so late in the war it could have been quite bare bones

The excellent 2-volume set on Fw 190D camo and markings from the Czech publisher JaPo, makes a convincing case that the walkway markings were not typically used at all on the Dora. There are very few photos of production machines showing them in place. The frequently-seen pictures of Barkhorn's JG 6 machine are a well-known exception, but generally they are not present.

Excellent, thanks for the reply. As I suspected they weren't on, plus it looks better without them :)

My pleasure!

I can't say enough about the JaPo books if you like the 190D. They extensively cover each of the four manufacturers of the Dora, following serial numbers in sequence to trace evolution of camouflage and markings, including typical maintenance stenciling, for each production batch.

It's a favorite reference, and IMHO one of the best-researched works on late-war Luftwaffe aircraft available.

Thank you FalkeEins for info ;)

I have both volume of JaPo book about the Dora and have a pleasure to be friend with Eric Larger and send him some material from my collection. Only hope that JaPo will finish their third volume and include color chips as they announced.

Cheers :)