1950's FAA aircraft

jynski

I usually build 1/48 modern aircraft but I really like the FAA aircraft from the 50s. I like the sky/EDSG scheme. I am contemplating doing a series of aircraft in 1/72 scale. I already have a Trumpeter Gannet. I want to do a Sea Fury, Seahawk, Wyvern, Sea Meteor, Vampire and a Seafire 46/47. All in Sky/EDSG. Mainly out of the box builds. Any aircraft I'm missing? What are the best kits/decals to use? Paint? Any help would be appreciated. :drink:

I usually build 1/48 modern aircraft but I really like the FAA aircraft from the 50s. I like the sky/EDSG scheme. I am contemplating doing a series of aircraft in 1/72 scale. I already have a Trumpeter Gannet. I want to do a Sea Fury, Seahawk, Wyvern, Sea Meteor, Vampire and a Seafire 46/47. All in Sky/EDSG. Mainly out of the box builds. Any aircraft I'm missing? What are the best kits/decals to use? Paint? Any help would be appreciated. :drink:

Missing Sea Venom, Sea Hornet and Attacker. May be others

HTH

Andy

Edited by andym

AEW Skyraider?

Not a 1/48 kit available afaik but there are conversions

Also AEW Grumman Avenger

as above.

The Attacker is available if you can find and afford a Classic Airframes kit.

Not sure when the Firefly was retired but pretty sure they were still in service.

There would also be second line aircratft

none of which I can think of at the moment :rolleyes:

If it's those that appeared in EDSG/Sky, the ones missing from your list (and some 1/72 kit suggestions to add to the previous posts)

Supermarine Attacker - Old Frog/Eastern Express, CMR resin (Apparently very good) or forthcoming AZ kit.

Blackburn Firebrand - Not sure kit wise, I have an old Rareplane vacform

Westland Whirlwind (Helicopter)

Sea Fury - Trumpeter is OK-ish, not as good as their Wyvern

Wyvern - Trumpeter is excellent

Sea Meteor - was an F3, so conversion from MPM or Dragon

Seahawk- currently, MPM/Special Hobby, or wait for the forthcoming Hobbyboss

Vampire - Heller (Or Airfix/Revell release of same kit) - A few early Sea Vampires didn't have the hooked tail pipe

Sea Venom - old Frog or CMR resin

Seafire FR47 - forthcoming MPM looks the best bet

This is probably my favorite era to build and I've completed a good portion of the kits:

Spitfire 46/47: Admiral/AZ and CMR... with a possible xtrakit in the next year <- CMR is the best, but wait for the xtrakit for the price.

Attacker:AZ (upcoming), CMR <- CMR is a slightly older release so maybe wait to see how the AZ kit turns out.

Wyvern: Trumpeter and CMR Resin. <- Personally I like the CMR kit better, but its not really worth the cost unless you are a nut.

Sea Hornet: Special Hobby <- I love this kit, just needs a bit of work on the wingroots.

Sea Fury: Aki, Special Hobby, and Trumpter <- Aki is by far the best kit... but 60 pounds. I like the SH a teeny bit better than the trump.

Blackburn Firebrand: Aki (again at 60 pounds... but oh so gorgeous.)

Seahawk: Special Hobby/MPM or Hobby Boss. <- I really like the SH kit (great resin cockpit and details), so I'd buy it even with the new HB kit.

Sea Vampire: CMR <- its the newest CMR Kit from their Vampire line... which are gorgeous.

Sea Venom: Frog or an upcoming CMR kit. <- the Frog kits needs ALOT of work... there is a flightpath detail set that is worth the buy.

Gannet: CMR, Trumpeter or Revell <- the Revell is probably the best of all three.

Scimitar: CMR next month.

I can give you tips on most of these models, and photos too.

Edited by -Neu-

Some more EDSG/Sky of the 50's:

Supermarine Seafire F.Mk.17

Supermarine Seafire F.Mk.45

D.H. Mosquito TR.33

Fairey Firefly Mk.5

Fairey Barracuda III

Fairey Gannet AS.1/.4

Supermarine Sea Otter ASR.II

V.P.

-----------------------

FLY NAVY

img2285o.th.jpg img1726g.th.jpg img2731k.th.jpg img1065ku9.th.jpgimg0578rv1.th.jpgimg1453edited.th.jpg

Edited by Homebee

You could also try these, maybe a cheaper but possibly less accurate :rolleyes: option:-

Attacker - Frog/Novo (Airwaves etc PE & Aeroclub/Falcon Vacform canopies avail plus a plethora of decals)

Wyvern - Frog/Novo (Airwaves etc PE & Aeroclub/Falcon Vacform canopies avail plus a plethora of decals)

Sea Fury - Airfix/PM model (Airwaves etc PE & Aeroclub/Falcon Vacform canopies avail plus a plethora of decals)

Firebrand - Pegasus (avail fm Kingkit I do beleive)

Seahawk - Airfix (Airwaves etc PE & Aeroclub/Falcon Vacform canopies avail plus a plethora of decals)

Sea Venom - Premier comes with WM/Vac form canopy & new decals (Airwaves etc PE & Aeroclub/Falcon Vacform canopies avail plus a plethora of decals)

Scimitar - Xtrakit (Loads of aftermarket stuff available)

Gannet - You could always do a COD version which can be made from pretty much any kit, not EDSG/Sky but a very attractive all over grey!

Just wanted to give you the cheaper/less AMS orientated option!

Edited by Acky190

:wall:

Apparently someone did a 1/72nd conversion many moons ago, chances of finding it now though :banghead:

I had always been under the impression that the FAA had not used the Avenger in the AEW but only the ASW role after starting a thread on it ages ago on here, but after studying the 8th pic down on here I am sure I can see a FAA version lurking around in the background! Am I seeing things or is this a FAA AEW Avenger :hmmm:

Edited by Acky190

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Dougla...AEW1&u=type

Trying to resist the urge to look for a Skyraider

A good place for checking FAA kits is Gengriz's website

Fred must have just about built evertything by now

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/

bingo! some 1/72 AEWs :yahoo:

Think Skyraiders were only in the overall dark blue so sorry to Jynski for the diversion

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=Dougla...AEW1&u=type

Trying to resist the urge to look for a Skyraider

A good place for checking FAA kits is Gengriz's website

Fred must have just about built evertything by now

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/

bingo! some 1/72 AEWs :yahoo:

Think Skyraiders were only in the overall dark blue so sorry to Jynski for the diversion

Sorry mate, are my mince pies playing up? I can't see any FAA AEW Avengers? I have the Aeroclub Skyraider conversion, bought before Peter's sad & untimely death last year & also before most things Aeroclub became limited availabilty/discontinued/rare and mega hard to get hold of!

Also AEW Grumman Avenger

Postwar the FAA used Avengers for AS, ECM and COD but not AEW. But if you want to do a TBM-3W in the FAA EDSG/sky scheme, you can model a Dutch Navy example. In 1/72 there is or was a HighPlanes coversion for the Hasegawa kit: marking USN or Japanese.

FAA aircraft produced under the Magna Models label:-

1/48 0248 Firebrand TF5

0348 Attacker FB1/2

0448 Firebrand TFII

1/72

0272 Firefly T7

0472 Firebrand TF5

0572 Seamew

2472 Skyraider AEW1

2672 Barracuda TR V

2772 Firebrand TFIII/IV

2972 Spearfish

3172 Firefly U8

3472 Sturgeon TT2/3

5272 Sea Prince

7472 Firefly T1/2

There were others now discontinued as injection molded kits appeared and conversions,namely sea vixens,attackers,Gannet AEW, avenger AEW,mosquito TT39, sturgeon PR1 & SB3.THE 1/48 scale Sea Prince is also imminent. hth chris

Esci did a 1/48 Skyraider AEW with radome, my father has two or three of them, but I suspect he would be unwilling to give them up.

Chris

North Wing Model Craft has a top 1/48th AEW.1 resin conversion set for the Tamiya A-1H Skyraider

http://nsf.tc/~nmc/ProductDetail.php?iProd...4&stock=-10

Presentation http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/...wmc_48005.shtml

nmc48005.jpg

nwmc_48005_parts1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

There were others now discontinued as injection molded kits appeared and conversions,namely sea vixens,attackers,Gannet AEW, avenger AEW,mosquito TT39, sturgeon PR1 & SB3.

Ooh, tell me about these injection-moulded Sturgeons, Chris!