Military Aircraft Monthly

Just got my copy of the March issue of Military Aircraft Monthly, Gary Hatchers editorial says the publisher has decided to revert to old model and historical format from next (April) issue, and rename it 'Model Aircraft'. He says this is based on feedback from their readers survey, hobby industry and advertising base and I think its a good move, as content has been a little thin recently. Well done to their team for listening, I look forward to the return of another model magazine, leave the historical only content to Aeroplane Monthly and Flypast. March issue features a well timed Airfile feature on the HS Dominie.

Colin

Just got my copy of the March issue of Military Aircraft Monthly, Gary Hatchers editorial says the publisher has decided to revert to old model and historical format from next (April) issue, and rename it 'Model Aircraft'. He says this is based on feedback from their readers survey, hobby industry and advertising base and I think its a good move, as content has been a little thin recently. Well done to their team for listening, I look forward to the return of another model magazine, leave the historical only content to Aeroplane Monthly and Flypast. March issue features a well timed Airfile feature on the HS Dominie.

Colin

Excellent. I always thought the idea of moving the magazine away from its distinctive mix and into the already congested full-size aircraft market was misguided. It's not just Aeroplane Monthly and Flypast but other newcomers like Combat Aircraft as well.

All they've got to do now is bring back Neil Robinson and Tony O'Toole and everyone will be happy.

I also let my subscription lapse when they moved away from modelling, which was a shame as it was one of my favourite magazines in it's original format, I will have to look and see what format it comes back as before I spend any money.

Den

That is good news, I was going to cancel my order at the newsagents Today, will now wait and see what next issue is like.

In its original format, it was one of the better Model Aircraft magazines with a mixture of content, hopefully this will return.

Derek

It's unfair to say they had totally removed historical content. There were a couple of pretty good articles on pre-WW2 matters, which you aren't going to get elsewhere. The magazine stood a chance of turning into an overdue replacement for Air Enthusiast - but it would have needed better paper.

If that's the case I will start buying it again - I guess their sales must have fallen dramatically! I notice Neil, Tony and Paul Lucas are all in Airfix this month.

Now please improve the paper it's printed on!!

Are you directing the last comment at Airfix mag or t'other rag?

I though the Airfix mag was pretty high up the evolutionary trail with their paper.

THC

Well lets hope they sort out the paper issue, cus it would be good to have MAM back to MAM.

Now can anyone tell me when Superficial Advertiser Monthly will return to its previous incarnation of a proper modelling mag???? please

Jonners

[edit for sanity]

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Are you directing the last comment at Airfix mag or t'other rag?

I though the Airfix mag was pretty high up the evolutionary trail with their paper.

THC

T'other one. YOu could spit wet peas through the last one I bought. The latest issue of the new Airfix is the best yet, even if they do put those blooming cars in it!! :innocent:

T'other one. YOu could spit wet peas through the last one I bought. The latest issue of the new Airfix is the best yet, even if they do put those blooming cars in it!! :innocent:

I was on the verge of giving up on the "new" MAM as it was not really catering to my modelling interests. I'll now hang on and see what transpires. I wonder what Neil Robinson is thinking now?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This comment made a little bit of wee come out!

thanks Dave!

PMSL :speak_cool:

I was on the verge of giving up on the "new" MAM as it was not really catering to my modelling interests. I'll now hang on and see what transpires. I wonder what Neil Robinson is thinking now?

TFFT??? :evil_laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

i have posted a editorial, with a preview for the actual issue...see here

to me looks like a modellers interesting publication, alfred price articles are great

cheers

Pompeo

Edited by POMPEO

i have posted a editorial, with a preview for the actual issue...see here

to me looks like a modellers interesting publication, alfred price articles are great

cheers

Pompeo

I find the comment about a new direction rather ironic. Surely it's more a case of retracing steps and getting back on course.

I must say I do welcome this news as after MAM dumped modellers I found no other modelling publication to which I wished to subscribe. Better paper would be good, but I'd rather have 100 pages with plenty to read printed on poor paper than, say, 70 pages of high quality paper that only took me two breakfasts and a trip to the loo to read. I suppose it's all a matter of cost.

I find the comment about a new direction rather ironic. Surely it's more a case of retracing steps and getting back on course.

I must say I do welcome this news as after MAM dumped modellers I found no other modelling publication to which I wished to subscribe. Better paper would be good, but I'd rather have 100 pages with plenty to read printed on poor paper than, say, 70 pages of high quality paper that only took me two breakfasts and a trip to the loo to read. I suppose it's all a matter of cost.

i Agree with you about the number of interesting pages in relation of high paper quality, you are right, about to return to old way to made the magazine, is nie that SAM publications have attetion to made this

cheers

Yes, finally there's a chance I might have my favourite magazine back !

MAM was a great magazine before they changed direction, with the right blend of history and modelling.. and most important, historical articles were the kind that was useful to modellers.

I'll buy the april issue and see if the good old days are back.. there's a chance I might start buying magazines again.

• 4 weeks later...
If that's the case I will start buying it again - I guess their sales must have fallen dramatically! I notice Neil, Tony and Paul Lucas are all in Airfix this month.

Now please improve the paper it's printed on!!

I thought the original idea was damned stupid, bought the first two in the new format and then dropped them entirely - prior to that it had become my favourite magazine partly because it had a decent balance of scale and 1:1 content but probably mostly because the then editor knew what he was doing and did it well. I hope it returns to something very like it had been.

Shane

Now can anyone tell me when Superficial Advertiser Monthly will return to its previous incarnation of a proper modelling mag???? please

Jonners, if you are referring to SAM (not SAMI) I am with you. I really miss my fix of SAM, but I will not be going back whilst they persist in wasting space with poor type setting, too many pictures that don't really show anything and those silly "codes" when describing whether a kit is resin or injection etc.

Despite the increase in numbers of modelling magazines (good news) they all seem to be too much of the same thing (not so good news) and none of them seem to be "real" aircraft modelling magazines.

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

Sigh, more SAM bashing. Change the record chaps, it's getting boring.

Jamie

http://haggismodels.blogspot.com/

Hi Jamie

So is having an editor who regards it as his right to take bi-monthly pot-shots at the online community because some online modellers differ in opinion to his on things like accuracy and content. :)

Perhaps if he addressed these in a constructive way, we could have a proper discussion, but what we get is "modelling fascists", or "set up your own website to get free models".

If its put into print in an editorial its going to get commented on, because editorials traditionally are the tone setting pieces for magazines.

cheers

Jonners

Just read your blog Jamie, I think we will have to agree to disagree! cheers - edited to add this.

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor