Hobbyboss FGA.6 Seahawk

Robert

Is it me or does the kit look almost identical to the Trumpter 1/48 minus the wing fold?

I'd bet good money on it. I'm never too sure how close Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are, but they do appear to use the same set of CAD files and parcel out the various scales between them.

Has anyone got any idea how these are going to set us back? Just wondering when the AZmodel Attacker will be released, Hanannts are still showing it as future releases?

Edited by Acky190

Thats strange, the Seahawk has dropped in price by £2 since last night, from £11.99 to £9.99 in a couple of hours! Lets hope its like a reverse auction :whistle:

Would you Adam & Eve it, back to £11.99!

Well, this has completely just made my morning.

Ever since giving up trying to make the Airfix one into something that ressembled a Sea Hawk, I have wanted a decent Se Hawk. And as for the Suez markings: wow! :yahoo:

It looks pretty detailed, and hopefully it will be at least vaguely accurate (is this hoping too much?). Granted the "codes on top of the wings" is a bit of a blunder, but I think I can live with that...and simply not obey that particular instruction.

Couple of nitpicks: XE375 was a FGA 4 during suez, not a 6.... not that it matters.

I really don't like how pronounced the intake vanes are: they are more recessed from all the photos I've seen.... then again the HB version actually HAS an intake, and thats a step up from the Special hobby kit.

Well, this has completely just made my morning.

Ever since giving up trying to make the Airfix one into something that ressembled a Sea Hawk, I have wanted a decent Se Hawk. And as for the Suez markings: wow! :yahoo:

It looks pretty detailed, and hopefully it will be at least vaguely accurate (is this hoping too much?). Granted the "codes on top of the wings" is a bit of a blunder, but I think I can live with that...and simply not obey that particular instruction.

I thought the MPM/Special hobby kit was pretty good, with the exception of the intake issue.... the resin cockpit was pretty sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Bagged one today at the North Somerset Model show, £10 from Andy @ Antics, first impressions:

Very nice, the mouldings are clean and the recessed detail very petite - ironically its perhaps a little too fine for my tastes, be interesting to see how it passes the Halfords Plastic Primer test!

Breakdown is very similar to the 1/48 Trumpeter kit, the forward fuselage is in upper and lower sections with the wing moulded in situ, the rear fuselage is split left and right halves to facilitate the later versions with the taller fin (not in the kit). The wings are moulded full span so you're on your own when it comes to foldig them. Cockpit has moulded detail, quite nice on the side consoles, instrument panel is just circles, but there is a decal as well. There is some nice wheel well detail in the main bays. Jet pipes are split in halves, may be better to replace these with aluminium tubing. Stores include drop tanks an rockets, as ever the fins on the a latter are a bit thick but nothing plastic strip can't fix.

Three decal schemes, two RN one Indian. The decals are very well printed but there are a couple of oddities - INIDIAN NAVY being one, serials for the upper wings of the RN schemes being another. Colour diagrams shown for all three schemes, but no plan views for the Indian version. Hobbyboss have the Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky scheme down as Dark Sea Grey and Duck Egg Green (sic), but for some reason interpret the white underside for two of the schemes as being "IJN Gray". Suez stripes are provided, be interesting to see if how these work.

All told this is a very nice kit, the level of detail is good and its keenly priced. The stock chorus will be "its not quite Tamigawa" - no, its affordable for starters and what it lacks can easily be put right at minimal cost.

Cant wait to start mine!

Been looking forward to this ever since it was announced. £12 is a little more then I was hoping for from HobbyBoss but only since I'm used to them being cheap :winkgrin: and I'm still certaintly going to be getting a few. Having built (badly) the Airfix offering it's great to see what is a reasonably niche aircraft getting another look in with a modern kit :D . Glad to see such a variety of markings from the initial release as well. Thanks for the review Jonathon Mock the kit sounds a cracker.

No probs, glad it was of some initial use, I'm still trying to clear the workbench so I can make a start on this!

I'm contemplating putting into use Dad's experiences of painting the Suez stripes where they used roundel blue because there was no black.