Something odd goin on...

timraven1992

I recently got my cabinet out to dust it all out and noticed some cracking in the paint and decals :S

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

Anyone know what's happened?

They were both sprayed with Tamiya acrylics, kleared, then subjected to micro sol and set with the decals,

klear again, weathering wash and an xtracrylix flat coat.

These were both finished about 2 years ago

Cheers

Tim

How soon after painting did you spray the Kleer? The Tamiya paint can still be curing after the top surface is touch dry and because Kleer dries quickly it can cause this kind of problem, (just not sure it takes 2 years to show though). Best to let the top coat of paint to fully cure for at least 24hrs before applying the Kleer next time.

Sunlight, heat/large temperature fluctuation & paint cure/contamination are the things that come immediately to mind. I use Tamiya & Klear almost exclusively & have not had this issue - well not yet anyway.

I've experienced the same problem with gloss Tamiya acrylics and Klear/future. The Tamiya acrylics always seem to dry slightly soft, and I'm not entirely convinced that it actually cures (only "dries"). The Klear/Future dries hard, and with the Tamiya paint still "living", that will cause the Future/Klear and decals put on them to crack. I discovered the problem back in the early 90s after making a Speed Spitfire , and Tamiya X-4 Blue seemed a good match for the blue. Brushed a couple of coats of Klear over it and got a smooth as glass finish. Was not a happy bunny a few months later, and decided to test. Painted a piece of plasticard Tamiya acrylic gloss white, and left one part to dry for two weeks before brushing Klear over it, the other part was left to dry for three weeks. Both ended up looking like a dried out mudflat, and after that I never used Klear over Tamiya acrylics again. Have used Klear over Xtracrylics and enamels, and have not seen that problem again.

Jens