* Future *

TonyR

Sorry guys but I'm gonna ask another silly question, & I hope you'll excuse me 'cos I've not been keeping up with the hobby for a very long time!!

I read in a lot of posts of people using something called 'Future' which I believe is some sort of Floor Polish/Treatment. This is something I'd never heard of back when I was last tinkering with plastic kits. Would it be too much to ask if some kind person could give this old geezer the lowdown . like - What exactly is it? Where do you get it? What is it called in the UK? & What exactly are you supposed to do with it when you have it? [Please, be polite!! :) ] It's great to read through these posts because there are so many new things that have happened to the hobby in the last 20/30 years. The after sales market was really only just starting around the time I gave up modelling, so it's amazing to see what you can get nowadays, it's like learning the hobby all over again, and long may it be so - All except the prices!! Man! are they scary!! :analintruder: I look at the price tags on some of the boxes I bought years ago, and compare them to the prices now .... :hypnotised: well! ... anyway enough of that, back to the 'Future' ( :doh: lol) look forward to getting some interesting 'gen'

TiA Tony R

Edited by TonyR

Easiest answer is, it's called Klear in the UK and there's loads of threads about it, too many to link to. "Klear" will give you a much more useful search than "Future". Klear is near-miraculous; the only slight problem is that it's out of production and views are divided about the new "Pledge with Future Shine".

all you need to know

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

so long as you can find it, J&J have stopped producing it in this country.

Dave

And it's used as a gloss coat.

There are lots of threads about it on the forum, but personally I have had no problems with the 'new' type, apart from if you spray it onto canopies.

That was always a problem with the old stuff anyway.

Dave

Hi to Sean, Phil & Dave.

Thanks for the info about 'Future' or 'Pledge Kleer' or whatever else you want to call it!! - Rare stuff by the sound of it. I will have to have a look around my local supermarkets to see if by some chance they have any on their shelves, but from what you all say I may be onto a loser :deadhorse: Pity 'cos it sounds handy stuff to have around .. still, as Dave says, isn't it always the way. :badmood:

Tony R

Hi to Sean, Phil & Dave.

Thanks for the info about 'Future' or 'Pledge Kleer' or whatever else you want to call it!! - Rare stuff by the sound of it. I will have to have a look around my local supermarkets to see if by some chance they have any on their shelves, but from what you all say I may be onto a loser :deadhorse: Pity 'cos it sounds handy stuff to have around .. still, as Dave says, isn't it always the way. :badmood:

Tony R

To be honest, you'd have more luck in an independent ironmonger's. Asda was the last supermarket to hold original Klear and I think it's all gone now. You may think the price is a bit tooth-sucking, especially if you fall for the on-line sharks, but a single bottle will last you a very, very long time.

There are quite good reports coming in of a similar floor wax sold by Lakeland (the kitchen shop, not the clothing shop).

Edited by pigsty

To be honest, you'd have more luck in an independent ironmonger's. Asda was the last supermarket to hold original Klear and I think it's all gone now. You may think the price is a bit tooth-sucking, especially if you fall for the on-line sharks, but a single bottle will last you a very, very long time.

There are quite good reports coming in of a similar floor wax sold by Lakeland (the kitchen shop, not the clothing shop).

Do you have a picture of the floor wax from lakeland? So that I know what to buy when I am in Engeland.

Cheers Arnold

Do you have a picture of the floor wax from lakeland? So that I know what to buy when I am in Engeland.

Cheers Arnold

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/quick-shine!...e/product/20286

Heres the link Arnold ( great name - its my dads too!)

As the fool who first suggested Quick Shine on here, I 'm glad to see its been well received - I have had no problems with it all all - as a gloss, as a canopy gloss, as a thinner for acrylics, and as an after dinner drink ( OK one of these isnt true).

Heres Lakelands store locator page too. You can order it online - but if you are in the UK this might help you find a store thats close to your destination. I would call first to make sure the store has it though.

cheers

Jonners

Hi to Sean, Phil & Dave.

Tony R

Morrisons have the Pledge "New Klear". £3.89 I think, its with the furniture polish usually.

I've also got some Astonish Flawless, 99p for 750ml from Home Bargain (Orange and Cinnamon scent :analintruder: )

This too has a milky white look to it but seems to do the job

Chris

Thanxs Jon. Glad you like my name.

So it isn't a thinner for acrylics. Hehehehehehehe

If I am in Engeland we are there almost every time to boost the English Econemy (Shopping!!!), so if I am passing by a lakeland I will have a look.

Cheers Arnold :drink::cheers:

Sorry guys but I'm gonna ask another silly question, & I hope you'll excuse me 'cos I've not been keeping up with the hobby for a very long time!!

I read in a lot of posts of people using something called 'Future' which I believe is some sort of Floor Polish/Treatment. This is something I'd never heard of back when I was last tinkering with plastic kits. Would it be too much to ask if some kind person could give this old geezer the lowdown . like - What exactly is it? Where do you get it? What is it called in the UK? & What exactly are you supposed to do with it when you have it? [Please, be polite!! :) ] It's great to read through these posts because there are so many new things that have happened to the hobby in the last 20/30 years. The after sales market was really only just starting around the time I gave up modelling, so it's amazing to see what you can get nowadays, it's like learning the hobby all over again, and long may it be so - All except the prices!! Man! are they scary!! :analintruder: I look at the price tags on some of the boxes I bought years ago, and compare them to the prices now .... :hypnotised: well! ... anyway enough of that, back to the 'Future' ( :doh: lol) look forward to getting some interesting 'gen'

TiA Tony R

To at least partly answer your question, Tony, I use Future for a gloss coat prior to decals and as a barrier prior to doing washes. I spray it through my airbrush straight from the bottle at about 15 psi, first coat just a mist coat, followed about every 10 minutes or so by another until I have the shine I want. I will then use it as the top coat over the decals when I'm done. I also use it to put that clear-as-glass shine on canopies. I DON'T spray it, as that will take forever and be much thicker than you'll want. I dip my canopies into a small container holding enough Future to immerse the entire canopy without letting it go (I hold it with a pair of nicely pointed tweezers). Prep the canopy first by making sure it is as clean and clear as you can make it. If you have a way, try to remove any static electricity that may have been generated during the clean-up (I use a Zero-Stat gun from my vinyl record days). Dip the canopy slowly into the Future, watching for bubbles adhering to the plastic. They're caused either by a foreign substance on the surface or residual static. Just raise the canopy back up a bit and try again. When you're able to immerse the entire canopy without bubbles, slowly extract it and hold it vertical for a bit, letting the Future drain to one corner, if possible. Gently touch the corner to a bit of paper towel or lint-free cloth to wick the excess Future away then place the canopy on another paper towel in a box you can close up. Leave it there for at least an hour (I usually do canopies just before finishing for the night and leave them covered until next time to dry. Lastly, Future (or your local equivalent) can be used to mix with flat (matte) acrylics to create semi-gloss or gloss colors when airbrushing. Hope this helps some. Good luck finding something similar locally.

Steve

Edited by Steve Collins

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/quick-shine!...e/product/20286

As the fool who first suggested Quick Shine on here, I 'm glad to see its been well received - I have had no problems with it all all - as a gloss, as a canopy gloss, as a thinner for acrylics, and as an after dinner drink ( OK one of these isnt true).

what !!!!! you mean it can't be used as a thinner? :drink:

Don't forget it can also be used as a floor polish. :whistle:

now thats just being plain silly :mental:

edit:- actually, a couple of years ago my missus found my open bottle in the garage ( the rest are safely stored in the loft ) only used it on the kitchen floor...daft tart. Still not speaking to her! Mind you I've resolved the problem of her doing it agin by laying a natural stone floor. May have cost a bit but at least it's preserved my supplies of the clear (kleer) necter

Edited by sinnerboy

Hi all,

Thanks for the info on the new Pledge Klear, Phil & Chris. I'll keep my eyes open next time i'm in Tesco to see if they have any on their shelves. But it's great news that there is a possible alternative at Lakelands as SWMBO has an account with them!! and has just now put it on the list for next time she puts in an order. So thanks Sean & Jon for that too!! ... Lastly, an extra thank you to Steve C for the tips on how to use it! . Those will come in very handy when I get to that stage, but in the meantime I have quite a few spare bits n bobs left over from 'back when' so I'll be having a few trial runs too. Cheers guys you've all been very helpful, and it's most appreciated. :clap2:

Tony R