Now why would Airfix have a meeting with the Hawker Association?

chadders

Apart from Tea, cake, biccies and a nice chat

Maybe they want Airfix to do like a lot of James May kits so they can replace gate guardians and strip the hurricanes and Spits down....

Thinking of that, maybe Hawker have come up with the ingenious idea of working with Airfix to make a fleet of plastic real flyable aircraft for pocket money prices for any little MOD general or use to be trainee pilot to buy and fly!

I'm sorry I'll grab my :coat: , TAXI!

New Hurricanes? A new Tempest? Please a new Tempest... A new tool 1st-gen Harrier family would be nice...

Let me see...:hmmm:

yes please

yes please and yes please

Though the Academy is none too bad in 1/72 so assume you mean 1/48 Modeller.

New tool P1127 and Kestral would be welcomed but not likely.

Do we need a Tiffie? Again Academy's is not too bad and there is the Hase 1/48

Have the revamped Airfix done a biplane yet?

Hawk/Fury family would be nice.

or maybe they just met for a pie and a pint.

Please please please early Harrier T-birds!!

Have the revamped Airfix done a biplane yet?

Hawk/Fury family would be nice.

Yes to my knowledge they are brining out a 1:72 Swordfish this year...

Sure they have reboxed some WWI fighters recently and are going to do so again for their whole IWM contract to cover WWI

Dunno about bout any other scales though...

Why's everyone jumping on the 1/24 th wagon.....

the biggest hole in the market with the most scope has to be a decent 1/48 Hunter?

Specially if you include the twin seaters....

Just a thought

Dave

Damned near anything done by Hawker will be welcome in my stash but a Tempest or tin-wing Harrier particularly so.

The Hunter has been well served by Revel in every other scale than 48th so a few of those will also be popular I'm sure.

As the Hurricane and Fury tools already exist I'm not sure if they would invest in a new set or upgrade what they have.

Perhaps a Sopwith Camel in 24th? Not too big or expensive and quite iconic.

Any of these sound like good prospects to me, then again I don't know what I'm talking about, although it could turn out to be a special boxing of existing kits - any important Hawker anniversaries coming up?

Given the need for an accurate 1/72 Hurricane, that Airfix seem to be updating old kits with new, that 1/48 Hase Hurris are much sought after, wouldn't rule out the Hurri.

AZ Models have done the Fury family in 1/72 but relatively expensively and are they still available?

Nor are there any new kits in 1/48 afaik.

Other than the discredited Academy kit and Aeroclub(?) if you can find one, the 1/48 Hunter has a big gap in the market.

• 9 years later...
On 16/02/2011 at 09:56, The Velociweiler said:

It's possible that it was just Airfix people arranging politely and diplomatically that after years of research, Airfix have discovered that each and every aircraft that Hawker ever designed and built were inaccurate in dimensions and outline?

while this is meant as a joke,  in the case of the Hurricane, it isn't.

This was published with the drawings by the author in 1980

35568750533_1f3269b366_o.jpgHurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f by losethekibble, on Flickr

and that information  got forgotten about.  So, if you go and ask the owners of the hawker archive for drawings......

in 2009 Airfix tooled up a 1/72nd Hurricane IIc, using plans most likely in The Hawker Hurricane by Francis K Mason,  the 1990 edition has some very detailed plans with his name on them.

The Airfix kit is an excellent match for these, problem is the plans are awful.  Even a brief comparison with photos in the book should have shown this.

hurr2-7.jpg

compare fin, spine angle, and place of transition from flat behind cockpit to slope, as well as the side panels being wrong, as is the rudder (too small) 

airfix_2096_parts1.jpg

There are many more faults in the kit..   I know I should get out more.    Oh dear I can't as we a virus pandemic...

Fortunately there is now the Arma IIc kit.  

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

The hunter would make sense, given the numbers of worldwide operators of the type.

I half suspect you've actually posted this in 2011 and accidentally scheduled to appear in the future of 2020. (Much in the way e-mails or social media posts can be scheduled to be sent at a later time -  was this possible back then?)

In which case you were spot on! The Airfix Hunter has been available for a while now. 

Even if wrong I really love the idea of time travelling threads... ^_^

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Even if wrong I really love the idea of time travelling threads... ^_^

Or maybe it moved into a parallel universe and has just moved back again? 🥴

• Haha 1