'What If' modernised USS New Jersey

johndon

New to the forum so I thought I'd post a few pics of my current WIP a 'what if' modernised USS New Jersey. Changes to the ship are going to be as follows:

Tommahawk decks deepened with VLS launchers added.

Twin 5" guns replaced with single mounts.

Aft mast added.

RPV drone hander added aft.

MK37 directors changed for SPG51 illuminators.

Lower bridge rebuilt.

Lots of scratchbuilding with PE from GMM and updated weapons from Veteran Models.

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0010-3.jpg

DSCF0008-3.jpg

DSCF0011-2.jpg

John

Just planting a seed of an idea, at one time there was a proposal to replace the rear turret with servicing and flightdeck facilities for up to twelve AV8B Harriers...

This was planned, but they found out that if they removed the turret and associated equipment they would encounter massive stability problems, so it was abandoned. But since this is a whif, then anything goes.

Just planting a seed of an idea, at one time there was a proposal to replace the rear turret with servicing and flightdeck facilities for up to twelve AV8B Harriers...

Funny you should say that - initially, this is what I was going to do:

DSCF0006-2.jpg

However, I was never happy with the flight deck so I scrapped it an reinstated the aft turret...

John

REminds me of the IJN Ise

Essentially, it would have been a modern version of the Ise. A number of such design proposals were put forward including one that had 2 ski jumps added port and starboard.

John

I've started detailing the bulkheads and scratched a new helicopter control room (I lost the original piece) but I'm not particularly happy with it so I'm going to start again.

DSCF0015.jpg

Detailing of the forward bulkheads has begun and I've started detailing the fire control tower:

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

John

Detailing of the weather deck bulkheads continues with PE and scraps of plastic strip:

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

It's not 100% accurate to the New Jersey but this is a refit after all. Anyway, the bulkheads are starting to look a lot busier...

John

Progress continues at my typical glacial pace. I'm still adding details to the weather deck level bulkheads but I am working on other parts of the superstructure at the same time so here's a tour down the starboard side and then back up the port side:

DSCF0001-113.jpg

The extension to the lower bridge still needs some work but the whole thing is starting to look a lot busier...

DSCF0002-96.jpg

Lots going on amidships:

DSCF0003-75.jpg

View looking forward that shows my 3rd attempt at rebuilding the helicopter control room which still needs a roof:

DSCF0004-59.jpg

And now back up the port side:

DSCF0005-30.jpg

DSCF0006-22.jpg

DSCF0007-12.jpg

Loads still to do obviously and I still need to find a way to replicate the loudspeakers that appear all over the superstructure...

John

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw one or two pages of your work on this project on another site. Great to see the whole thing so far. Your work is fantastic. I'll be consulting you for tips when I start mine. I love the detail on the CIWS guns.

Cheers,

Don

• 5 months later...

Still plugging away at this one having waited for the Scaledecks real wood deck which has now arrived.

Aft deck and helo pad have had their first coat of anti skid applied and I've started test fitting the deck:

DSCF0001-121.jpg

Test fitting the decks on the main superstructure:

DSCF0002-103.jpg

I've started to paint the main superstructure and the additional bridge level is starting to blend in nicely with just a little more work required with the filler although it does need some additional detailing adding as it's looking a little slab sided at the moment.

DSCF0003-81.jpg

John