1/24 Landrover Lightweight

Okdoky

Oil cooler shroud that also directs air through the radiator

DVC06168.jpg

DVC06167.jpg

also had to adjust the footwells as I realised I had made them too deep and they extended too far beyond the wheelarches. They now match the wheel arch

DVC06164.jpg

DVC06165.jpg

added the backing sheet to the front seats

DVC06160.jpg

also topped off the sides and rear cargo area with thin U channel

DVC06161.jpg

added the stiffeners to the backing sheet also

DVC06163.jpg

DVC06162.jpg

added some shims under the cargo area to try to get the correct ride height

DVC06187.jpg

DVC06188.jpg

DVC06189.jpg

made a start on lining the engine bay to accept the wheel arches, radiator and maybe a scratch engine, still to decide, unless someone has a spair sitting idle somewhere.

DVC06184.jpg

DVC06186.jpg

DVC06185.jpg

Enjoying my hols at the caravan in Lossiemouth with the kids and the inlaws. Determined to get a lot more time on the Landy.

Nige

hello Nige

brilliant update as to be expected and i hope you are enjoying your holidays with your family.

the load bed and tail gate are looking spot on mate.

how do you think the bonnet is doing ?> from your photos it looks a little tilted from the bulk head to the front

the top of the bonnet should be horizontal,it may be the angle of the photo and not trying to be picky mate.

terry

hello Nige

brilliant update as to be expected and i hope you are enjoying your holidays with your family.

the load bed and tail gate are looking spot on mate.

how do you think the bonnet is doing ?> from your photos it looks a little tilted from the bulk head to the front

the top of the bonnet should be horizontal,it may be the angle of the photo and not trying to be picky mate.

terry

Hi Terry

The bonnet still has some natural spring in the curve that lifts the windscreen end up slightly. This does give the bonnet a slope when simply placed on for comparison. I still have to decide if I will attempt a working bonnet or a more simple fixing that allows option of placed open or shut. Wichever I go for, the fixing should hopefully draw the windcreen end down a bit making the overall bonnet flat and level as it should be.

A bigger hastle I have is getting the front grill to match the bonnet shape and height. The grill is to scale, which means the poor fit is either in the bonnet front or the height of the chassis.

Will plod on and shave a bit here and there to see what makes it fit.

Nige

Hi Nige

wasnt a critisim mate just an observation,from memory my bonnet was never a flush fit anyway. it always depended on the catch, brilliant work nige really enjoying your build.

terry

Hi Nige

wasnt a critisim mate just an observation,from memory my bonnet was never a flush fit anyway. it always depended on the catch, brilliant work nige really enjoying your build.

terry

Hi Terry

I am always looking for folks to let me know what they think as it does help iron out issues that you tend to overlook in the heat of battle with the plastic, like me noticing the footwells being fer too large. I had used the ESCI 109 kit as the guide for building them, but the difference in plastic part thickness and wheelarch on the real 109 meant that I did not notice it till much later. Luckely they were easy to fix, unlike some parts.

When I was trying to fix the rear bumper and get its height fixed in relation to the cargo floor, I dislodged the rear axle, leaf spring and u bolts. When fixing that back up, I noticed the chassis had a bad twist built in from the start. One job led to another and to another. In the meantime, the new bottle of superglue had a nozzle blockage. It dislodged only to squirt a stream of superglue 6 inches across my cutting mat. Could have been over the in-laws caravan dining table, or worse still, the wife's laptop sitting another inch or two beyond.

LUCKY, OR WHAT ?????

Glad to have your input and I always take any crits for the help the offer. So dig deep in the memory banks and pass on any help you can.

All the very best

Nige

Managed to figure out what is going on with the front grill and bonnet. Needed a little snip off the top of the grill to allow the bonnet to sit right down and the tin foil arches needed a slot cut in each to allow the front light wells to sit in front of the grill. Also added the boxing for the dashboard dials.

DVC06193.jpg

DVC06194.jpg

still needs a bit of trimming to get the bonnet to sit true left to right now

DVC06191.jpg

Nige

You know, with a bit of work that could be quite a good model.

Seriously, I am in awe of your scratch building skills.

Brian

Hi Brian

All hints greatly appreciated. Always learning !!!!!! It's very much on the "if it looks about right" style of modelling. When I see some of the other scratchbuilders who do much, much more in 1/35, 1/72 or smaller ,,,,,,,,,,,, Now those are awesome !!!

Had some peace from the kids and in-laws to get some work done today !!!!!

Under the bonnet tool box out of square hollow section and capped off with tin foil from chocolate powder tin.

DVC06204.jpg

Floor panels from tin foil on top of a plastic frame

DVC06205.jpg

DVC06206.jpg

The doors cut out from the side panels were added to with door handle cut outs

DVC06216.jpg

the door lock mechanism

DVC06217.jpg

framing out (slightly inboard, but easier to make sure it fitted after forming up)

DVC06218.jpg

door handle in cut out

DVC06219.jpg

finished door lock

DVC06220.jpg

Nige

RAFBrawdyLightweight75AF88.jpg

Note the door shuts on this - my daily plaything in the RAF at the time... :rolleyes: That workhorse was our section's allocated example modified to carry out specific duties we had, and has the snow-plough chassis attachments underneath as you might spot. Rumour has it that this was the only thing holding the chassis straight as we did abuse that poor old Lightweight at times. BUT it never let us down at all :winkgrin:

Hi Rob

I had a 110 County stationwaggon that was as bad and it was typical Landrover. Draughty, leaked and with breeze block aerodynamics. Still loved the old shed though.

Thanks Pete for the pic. Still in two minds what to do this lightweight as. I have a Monogram Landy 88 Stationwaggon that I was thinking of doing as RAF. Do you have any more pics in your collection of Landies, 88, 109, 90, 110, etc in RAF guise???

Thanks for looking in. Hope folks are liking.

Nige

Sadly that is the only worthy pic of any RAF Lightweight that I took - many aircraft shots but never thought to take pics of our vehicles at the time :(

By the way, for the record I think your build is a work of art in the making - the attention to detail is awesome! I check in on this thread everytime you update it....

Edited by Pete B

Sadly that is the only worthy pic of any RAF Lightweight that I took - many aircraft shots but never thought to take pics of our vehicles at the time :(

By the way, for the record I think your build is a work of art in the making - the attention to detail is awesome! I check in on this thread everytime you update it....

Shame, though thanks for sharing. I remember driving the other trusty runabout on RAF bases as a Civilian instructor with the ATC. The old Sherpa minibus. Shame they don't make them as a model in 1/24th.

Nige

Realised that the ESCI 109 kit has great seats to use as a guide for the scratchbuild lightweight seats. Gave me another correction to deal with as my placement of the seats backing sheet would have given the driver and passengers a more reclined position, more akin to an F16 fighter jet. A few cuts and repositioning.

DVC06252.jpg

Also means a bit of patching of the holes left at the corners. Well my Landy needed lots of patching up to keeping it running, so I will put it down to damage by cargo or summit.

DVC06253.jpg

Placed the Monogram engine block and gearbox in the lightweight to see how it would look. Intension being to use this as a guide to scratch a basic engine to go under the hood. After all, will need the engine for the 88.

DVC06251.jpg

Surprised myself how easy it fitted in, though using the 88 chassis as my guide meant I had to be close, even with the slight bodywork differences.

DVC06250.jpg

Made a start using large section rectangular hollow tube glued between sheet end pieces. The top is set in the narrow plane vertically, and the bottom with the narrow plane horizontally.

DVC06254.jpg

DVC06255.jpg

The space in between filled with thin sheet to place all the other componants on to build up the general shape.

DVC06256.jpg

The sump is another section of the hollow tube, this time laminated with thick p/card to get the required width, then sanded to profile.

More to follow when time allows

Nige

Hi Rich

Hoping to see your Transit bus getting some plastic cut soon and posted up. Will it be to service the 1/24 Jet?

Was glorious weather up here in Lossie so I took the opportunity to do some al-fresco model building. It only just got colder and breezy so gives me an excuse to post up some progress.

DVC06266.jpg

Carved thick sheet into the timing belt housing (I think) on the front of the engine block. The circles are to form the clutch housing.

DVC06272.jpg

The circles were placed on the mini drill to glue up the laminations and then sand smooth. I found that I made an early start on the chamfering by scribing a larger circle on one side of the plastic, and by turning the sheet over, scribing a smaller circle. When pressed out, the plastic took the path of least resistance and left a natural chamfer.

DVC06275.jpg

The clutch housing on for test fit

DVC06276.jpg

Added some thin plastic strips to mimic the reinforcement to the clutch housing

DVC06285.jpg

The same hollow rectangle section tubing used to form the basis of the gearbox and transfer box casings glued to the clutch. Will add on some light detailing after I have checked it can all still fit in on the lightweight.

DVC06286.jpg

Copied the sump fixings

DVC06287.jpg

My lovely mum in law layed on a brunch fry up to keep me going

DVC06267.jpg

Karen decided that Arron needed some daddy time and he spent some time on my lap as I fettled away at the plastic, sometimes a bit shoogly. A good excuse for my inaccuracies.

DVC06274.jpg

DVC06273.jpg

And Arron's thoughts on my work so far ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, !!!!!!!

DVC06284.jpg

All the best from a sunny Lossiemouth

Nige

• Like 1

Fixed the rear cruss member to the chassis which also determines the body height. Will add detailing including the bady attachment points and rear bumperettes later.

DVC06305.jpg

Scratchbuilt a steering wheel using wire round a cut plastic former, plasticard for the spokes, a plasticard hub, drilled to accept a thick portion of stretched sprue.

DVC06301.jpg

DVC06302.jpg

DVC06303.jpg

All glurd together using two part epoxy.

DVC06304.jpg

Additional epoxy added to the spokes to add a little depth to them

DVC06312.jpg

DVC06308.jpg

Engine block in for test fit

DVC06310.jpg

DVC06307.jpg

DVC06306.jpg

DVC06311.jpg

Nige

well, done a bit today on the transit, need to get out and grab some plastic sheet and some rail to do the cahssis work. Will do some piccys and a thread soonish.

The good news is I managed to pick up a part build italeri truck for the engine and axles on the Atlentean bus

Looking fab Nige, looks like little dude is a big fan of your work too.

Thanks Ben for looking in. Arron is good at overseeing my work. His comments range from the odd giggle to a down right loud roar. Just got to work out whether it is my crap work that day he is commenting on or the crap I have to clean up after him !!!!

well, done a bit today on the transit, need to get out and grab some plastic sheet and some rail to do the cahssis work. Will do some piccys and a thread soonish.

The good news is I managed to pick up a part build italeri truck for the engine and axles on the Atlentean bus

Tee hee Rich. You as bad as me. Starting sveral new projects before one even half finished. And with wee Alfie on the go too. Ain't it fun !!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing your Atlantean.

Not had any time to myself past two days as in-laws want stuff done to caravan, Home at weekrnd and wife in to hospital while I am back at work. Ferk !!!!!!

Caos will reign.

Nige

Not having much luck before the Perth Show as the wife is still in hospital and my car has just failed its MOT and needs lots done this time !!!!!! Will need to organize a taxi to get her home if she gets allowed home tomorrow.

Might even put paid to getting to Perth if the car not ready by then.

The joys

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Nige, haven't checked on your progress for a while, hence no encouragement!

The engine is superb and, watching somebody else's scratchbuild is making me consider having a go myself. fancy doing a DAF fire engine in 1/24. I'll just add it to the list (after I fnish the camper, re-landscape the garden, paint the house, fit a new boiler, plaster the kitchen ceiling...)

One question, though, how on earth do you model with Alfie on your knee??? Hannah is sitting at the side of me on her own laptop (looking at pictures of VW campers - research for my next build she says) while I try to stick the door handles on my current camper and I can't concentrate at all. Its a b***er 'cos I can't swear when they don't fit!!

Keep up the good work

Brian

ps What happened to the DROPS?????