1/24 Landrover Lightweight

Okdoky

Life got in the way o modelling yet again last weekend.

The wife ended up in hospital and had been busy keeping house with the girls and baby Arron. Kaz back out on Tuesday and feeling loads better after an op last Saturday.

Only got a couple of fuel tanks roughed up at the moment to add to the chassis and will post pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

Nige

Life got in the way o modelling yet again last weekend.

The wife ended up in hospital and had been busy keeping house with the girls and baby Arron. Kaz back out on Tuesday and feeling loads better after an op last Saturday.

Only got a couple of fuel tanks roughed up at the moment to add to the chassis and will post pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

Nige

All best wishes to you and your family

mate

Hi Viper

Kaz and the kids are all doing fantastic now and to look at Kaz you would not think she had been through the wars. Taken everything in her stride as usual. What a gall !!!

Had a chance to do some little bits tonight. Fabricated two basic fuel tanks using this pic as reference

lrchassis8.jpg

DVC06039.jpg

I cut four thick plastic pieces and temporarily glued them together to sand them to the shapes of the tanks profile. Then I added a section of square hollow section between two to give me the width. Then by cutting the tin foil to the width, I superglued the foil as a wrap around strip to form the tanks.

DVC06038.jpg

Still got the cross shaped indents to carve on the sides, fuel tank lids and pipework under the seats

M.jpg

DVC06042.jpg

DVC06041.jpg

Nige

Looking good sir. When I first joined up our sqn oc had one as a run about I remember after a good weekend at the naafi some of us got some (alot) brown paper from stores and wrapped it up for him. Not long after it went for a service (disposal) the OC was in bits...2 weeks later it was returned, seems that OC MT owed the Razzman a favour and it got a reprive until the chassis went 18 months later. :violin:

It always had "1:1 airifx kit" in chalk on the back. Happy Days.

Second attempt at forming the front wheelarches with light clusters from folded tin foil. First attempt. went Pete Tong having used the craft nife to mark out the fold lines which led to premature fractures when folding.

DVC06053.jpg

DVC06052.jpg

DVC06055.jpg

This is as far as I got when the fold broke

DVC06064.jpg

Fresh tin cut to size and this time used a thin embossing tool from Hobbycraft to mark out the folds. Being a rounded head instead of a nife edge it did not over stress the folds.

DVC06075.jpg

DVC06073.jpg

DVC06074.jpg

Will do the other side and check the proportions after I feed Arron his last bottle of the day. One handed typing here.

Nige

No night feeds?

Hi Rich

That is Arron 14 weeks today and he has been out of night feed for the last ten of those. We have been very lucky with all three kids as they wer all like that. We even get the feeling that he is in the very early stage of teething. On my lap and very grumpy without my pinky to munch on.

Not much chance to build handcuffed to him for the moment.

Taking the time at the PC to look on my favourite source for reference on the Lightweight. Tonnes of reference pics free for the picking of whole Landies or the componant parts. Trying to find some of the engine bay with no engine in it to see how the panels all fit together.

Nige

Great to hear Alfie doing well.

Going to have a go at building the bonnet next as this will give me a shabe to work on the front. If it don't work out will try to do the grill and radiator housing and build the bonnet around it.

lwbonnettop.jpg

lwbonnetundersurface.jpg

First attempt at size and shape

DVC06113.jpg

DVC06115.jpg

Needs tweeking on the dimensions as the wide end is far too narrow and the overall length is too long which I am putting down to the fact that I have not compensated for all the curves enough loosing vital mm's.

If any one has a real Landrover Lightweight in their drive way it would be great to get the real width measurements on all the curves and the length down the middle and along the sides. Would help me avoid cocking up too much. Though I have loads of carry out containers to keep stabbing away at it.

Nige

Nige

Edited by Okdoky

Thank you Viper

Silly bugger me I should have copied a couple of drawings and cut the profiles out and used thread to measure the curves and transfer those. Would have been a damned sight more accurate than using calipers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, duh !!!!!!!!!!! What a div !!!!!!!!!!

One for tomorrow me thinks when me head not hurting from pushing my poor old brain cells too far !!!!!!!!!!!

Tee hee

Nige

Second attempt and looking much better as I took the time to draw the profiles correctly this time.

"IT DOES HELP WHEN YOU MEASURE THE CORRECT LINES ON THE DRAWINGS" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "MEASURE TWICE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, CUT ONCE"

DVC06116.jpg

DVC06118.jpg

DVC06117.jpg

DVC06119.jpg

DVC06120.jpg

DVC06121.jpg

DVC06122.jpg

A bit more detailing to add top and bottom after a bit of tweeking on the curves to get the bonnet to sit flat and to profile, but that is where it is at for tonight.

Off to bed said Zebadi !!!!!!

Night

Nige

hi Nige. the bonnet is def taking shape and trickier that i would have imagined. but all credit to you she is looking great.

you are capturing the lightweight look well, mine used to be black green and sand camo.

Thanks Moofles

Appreciated

Added a little detailing to the underside including the curve reinforcement which will help strengthen the tin foil bonnet in the very same way as the original. Should easily support a resin spare wheel.

DVC06123-1.jpg

DVC06125.jpg

DVC06124.jpg

DVC06126.jpg

DVC06128.jpg

DVC06127.jpg

Getting to really enjoy this build as it seems to be going together quiet nicely now.

Nige

Had time to add in some rear tub support channels to sit fix down to the chassis. Made these by pressing tin foil over thin U channel to the approx size.

DVC06129.jpg

DVC06130.jpg

These will be seen quite easily from the side due to the wide open wheelarches

DVC06131.jpg

DVC06132.jpg

Lightweight/trailer combo for reference as to where I am so far.

DVC06134.jpg

DVC06133.jpg

Nige

I love Land Rovers and would love a Lightweight one day! Nice build fella...!

Hi Radleigh

I owned my very own Landie 110 County Stationwaggon for over 4 years. Loved it to bits ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it was also falling to bits. Didn't help that I off roaded it but did not have enough money to put it back together again when bits would break. Unfortunately when I was in the TA I never really got a chance to off road with a Lightweight. My short amount of driving them was mainly on road convoys or just off into the nearby hides for laying up. My main off roading in the TA was with the 8x6 DAF DROPS. Great motor !!!!!

No excuse Radleigh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you could build your own Lightweight too !!!!!!

Nige

Making some brackets that are quite promenant under and on the bonnet.

First to form the brackets using tin foil, wide tweezers, a piece of old sprue of correct profile held on the work plate by a blob of blue tac.

DVC06135.jpg

DVC06141.jpg

DVC06137.jpg

DVC06138.jpg

Same technique used with wire.

DVC06140.jpg

DVC06142.jpg

DVC06143.jpg

Brackets in place under

DVC06139.jpg

Placement of the wire helped by blue tac again to allow superglue to be dripped over the wire ends.

DVC06144.jpg

DVC06145.jpg

Just need to add straps to hold the spare wheel on, and to make a set of hinges to fix to the front bulkhead,

DVC06146.jpg

Nigel

Time for the front grill.

Plastic sheet for rigidity this time as I will be working from the placement of this for almost everything else.

DVC06147.jpg

The mesh is from plastic fly screen which is a good match for the mesh size.

DVC06148.jpg

Some embossing of tin foil on the Landrover 109 from ESCI to gain a couple of Landrover badges, one front and one back.

DVC06149.jpg

I will need to adjust the light clusterson the front wings to match up with the grill as they are a little oversized at the moment.

Nige

Start on the footwells

Plastic for the sides and tin foil for the fronts

DVC06152.jpg

DVC06153.jpg

A bit of pressure to keep the folds from undoing

DVC06154.jpg

Passenger footwell in place

DVC06156.jpg

DVC06157.jpg

DVC06158.jpg

Working on the drivers side