1/24 Landrover Lightweight

Okdoky

Sorry Nige, haven't checked on your progress for a while, hence no encouragement!

The engine is superb and, watching somebody else's scratchbuild is making me consider having a go myself. fancy doing a DAF fire engine in 1/24. I'll just add it to the list (after I fnish the camper, re-landscape the garden, paint the house, fit a new boiler, plaster the kitchen ceiling...)

One question, though, how on earth do you model with Alfie on your knee??? Hannah is sitting at the side of me on her own laptop (looking at pictures of VW campers - research for my next build she says) while I try to stick the door handles on my current camper and I can't concentrate at all. Its a b***er 'cos I can't swear when they don't fit!!

Keep up the good work

Brian

ps What happened to the DROPS?????

Hi Brian

No apologies necessary mate !! Been rather busy with other things getting in the way of model building and haven't touched the Landy all this holiday weekend. Keen to find out what kind of fire engine you are talking about. How much would you have to scratch build and would there be a kit to base the scratch build on?

It was great to be able to sit with Arron on my knee for a while doing my model. I was fortunate that he was quiet and curious to see what daddy was doing. I made sure the bits I was working on were fairly robust and weren't too fiddly. I did think a bit later about the sharpness of the files I was using on one part if he had decided to leap out of my arms as he had done before when I was feeding him. Best not to work with sharps and baby !!!!!!

Your VW is coming on great ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the home straight now with that one !!!!!! I wish I could say the same for my models. The DROPS being one of theose stalled projects that I cannot seem to get the balls to get back onto with all the stuff going on around me right now.

Maybe after the Lightweight I might see if I can get this one going again.

Have you seen these on Truck Model World

Scratch Build D/Decker bus

D/Decker bus 2

Now I wish my bus would look like these !!!!!!

Nige

Yeah, I had seen those - pretty impressive stuff. I do still visit the TMW forum although I am no longer a member (chucked my bricks out of my pram when Howard upset me once to often!).

I had got thoughts of scratchbuilding a DAF LF55 fire appliance in 1/24 (Code 3'd one in 1/50 a while ago that was featured in TMW). It would have to be a full scratchbuild as no kit exists, only the wheels and axles would be available to buy (oh and possibly the steering wheel and front seats I suppose). But I have so many other projects in mind I doubt I will get round to it until I retire (or get made redundant).

"Best not to work with sharps and a baby"???? You could say that - especially if Mrs Okdoky is around. Gillian still goes ape if she sees the tools I let Hannah use if we are working together!

Brian

Nice bus models there!

Mine is on hold as I need to get a pile of plastic strips etc. I picked up a Volvo Truck at a show for £3 started so I have the engine and axles now.

My 1 year old now wants to be with me in my den, shame is she is all arms, grabbing everything in reach (and stuff not in reach!) and I dont have the most tidy bench!

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the model

A few days back I was attempting to add some more details to the engine and was distracted by having to deal with a minor dispute between the girls. Having dealt with the matter in my usual no nonsense manner "GO TO BED !!!!! ", I turned back to the dining table and stumbled.

In the process I got my balance by placing my hand on the table and snapped the start of the front, nearside wing off.

DVC06460.jpg

DVC06461.jpg

I was not totally happy with the wings anyway, so it forced me to cut these section off both sides and start again. Having looked at the photos I realized that I needed to form indents for the lower door hinges

lrlw2-1.jpg

I drilled a starter hole and filed the rectangles out of each side piece. Then added a backing plate and rounded off using liquid glue to soften the the sharp edges.

DVC06463.jpg

DVC06464.jpg

This is what I am trying to achieve with a busy engine bay

lrlw11-2.jpg

And after a some interrupted play at the dining table, this is as far as I have got on the replacement wings.

DVC06465.jpg

Another job I did was to add the brackets to the rear cross member that the rear tub will be bolted to. This also gives the correct ride height for the body shell.

DVC06410.jpg

Gonna see if I can get some more done tonight.

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian and Malc ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks for keeping the faith and looking in from time to time.

Been busy with work, kids and the dear wife !!!!!!

Little bit of fixing carried out to the wings and a little trimming back of the nose of the bonnet as I realized that I had too much overhang at the front.

DVC06541.jpg

Much happier with the sit of the bonnet now

DVC06542.jpg

And much happier having fixed the sides where the door hinges will be secured.

DVC06540.jpg

Engine placed for show with new wings

DVC06546.jpg

DVC06545.jpg

Engine, clutch, gearbox and transfer case

DVC06544.jpg

DVC06543.jpg

Nige

Packing a bit more into the engine bay. Scratched a brake bellows, master cylinder and fluid reservoir.

Laminated circles again with a trim of thin strip for the edging the bellows and fluid reservior. Sprue cut and sanded for the master cylinder. Tin foil trim around the front grill.

DVC06547.jpg

DVC06549.jpg

DVC06548.jpg

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking in on the build. Hope everyone has not gone to sleep waiting on the next instalment.

Added some pipes to the brake master cylinder

DVC06568.jpg

DVC06569.jpg

DVC06570.jpg

Air filter housing and the first part of the flexi hose that will eventually get linked to an carburator and engine manifold on the opposite side of the engine

DVC06571.jpg

Distributer cap and leads

DVC06562.jpg

DVC06563.jpg

Starter motor fixed to the cylinder head cover

DVC06565.jpg

Where the engine bay is at the moment

DVC06572.jpg

DVC06573.jpg

Nige

• 3 months later...

Hi Rich

Not been in the mood to pick up the plastic just now but hope that I can regain my mojo and get on with this and the DROPS !!!!!

As for 1/24 Landies here a few that are on the market and can be found in shops and on flee bay from time to time.

6a47_1.jpg

The Monogram short wheelbase is a nice wee kit. Commands some crazy prices on flee bay. Wish they would release this again. This is mine that I bought as a strip and restore project for about £7 plus postage with resin wheels to replace the wide rubber ones on the kit.

I have the others noted below that I have added the links from flee bay as I don't have the pics of the kits handy to pop up here. All are available at reasonable prices with the Paratrooper version just having been repopped by Italeri !!!!!!

DVC05162.jpg

DVC05164.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monogram-LAND-RO...=item336b0057de

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESCI-LAND-ROVER-...=item43a9a491e6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITALERI-LWB-LAND...=item4841ea09fb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESCI-African-Saf...=item45fd2f3d50

Kit Form Services are in negotiation with Landrover for a license to pop some resin Lightweights and 101 Forward controls in 1/24 to go along with their fantastic Bedford, Stalwart, Pig, Saladin and Saracin kits.

Hope that helps

Nige

• 6 months later...
:mellow: I was hoping there was when I saw the notification drop in my emails - been watching this with keen interest as it seemed a fascinating project :ditto:

Thanks, Im after some cheap so I can try some conversions, but it looks like the Italeri kit will be the way to go. Does the military version come with the windscreen parts?

Hi Rich

Will try have a look when I can for you !!!!!!!!!!!

Any update on this?

Cheers

BB

Sorry BB but no more progress for now !!!!!!!!!!!! Have to try and finish off the DAF DROPS for the Perth Show !!!!!!!!!!!

:mellow: I was hoping there was when I saw the notification drop in my emails - been watching this with keen interest as it seemed a fascinating project :ditto:

Thanks Pete ,,,,,,,,, hopefully the Lightweight will get resurrected very soon after the show !!!!!!!!!!! Glad you are enjoying as I am too !!!!!!!!!!!! It is stretching the grey cells a little every now and again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to have more updates sometime soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

• 11 months later...

Thanks to Steve, I now have two correct tyres and wheels for the Sankey trailer ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what a star !!!!!!!!!!!

Had to cut the hubs off the axle and pin through the white metal brake drums so that I could fit them to my simple tube axle already fitted

DVC09817.jpg

I believe these are the KFS set and it is obvious to see the quality of the production that is offered !!!!!!!!!!!!

DVC09818.jpg

I am much happier with the overall look now and will get around to spraying them up when I have a few more parts for the TM ready to spray too

DVC09819.jpg

Thanks again Steve

Nige

• 4 years later...

Thanks for putting onto your build, I somehow missed this one, excellent scratch building and a job well done. Coming on nicely, I didn't particularly like driving these, at 6' I found them damned uncomfortable.