Slide Scanner

FTW

Evening All

With the demise of K64 my interest in photographing aircraft with a digital camera is not the same. I've a collection of several thousand 35mm slides going back to the early 70s and have been thinking of scanning them to a laptop and an external hard drive.

My dilemma is which slide scanner to buy. Reviews seem to be mixed and prices vary from £50 - several £00

I've noticed that some of you have posted scanned slides here . Could some of you give an opinion on scanners to buy , how effective they are and prices

I've done a search here but found nothing on the subject

Any advice welcome

Regards

Frank

Evening All

With the demise of K64 my interest in photographing aircraft with a digital camera is not the same. I've a collection of several thousand 35mm slides going back to the early 70s and have been thinking of scanning them to a laptop and an external hard drive.

My dilemma is which slide scanner to buy. Reviews seem to be mixed and prices vary from £50 - several £00

I've noticed that some of you have posted scanned slides here . Could some of you give an opinion on scanners to buy , how effective they are and prices

I've done a search here but found nothing on the subject

Any advice welcome

Regards

Frank

look in e bay photography and look in "film scanner", AT THE MOMENT THERE IS A NIKON COOLSCAN 3 at around £70, i have one and it is very good, however you need to be able to handle a scsi connection which are fiddly to set up but are cheaper than scanners with a usb connection. (easier to set up) at the moment there is a nikon ll 20 for a very reasonable srart price and will do the job very well but you will also need a spare pci slot on your motherboard, if you go for the cheaper scsi card option. Adaptec scsi cards can be had for less than a fiver on e bay and my coolscan 3 works fine with xp.

i have also had a minolta scan dual in the past which also uses a scsi card but also worked fine on xp

pm me if you need any further advice

look in e bay photography and look in "film scanner", AT THE MOMENT THERE IS A NIKON COOLSCAN 3 at around £70, i have one and it is very good, however you need to be able to handle a scsi connection

Hi Thanks for that but I don't think I can use a SCSI with my laptop but I will have a look

F

yes, sorry did not read fully, you will need a usb connection, bit more expensive

Had a look at EBay and there is some awesome looking Kit there - most of it looks way beyond my plug and play level of IT ability. I feel sure now I'm after something a bit simpler tahn what i saw there

Thanks for your help

f

Hi,

I have an Epson V300.It is a good non professionnal scanner - so very much cheaper...- easy to use with good resolution.

I have the same story : old K64 or Fuji 25 ....

see here from the Air Tatoo 85 :

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y317/j...img037light.jpg

Cheers

O.

Thanks for that Ill have a look at it - nice pic

f

HI all

Finally l bit the bullet and with all of the conflicting reviews out there decided to go for a plug and play at the bottom end of the market on the basis that if it didn't work and the results were poor I had not spent too much on something that would be useless after I'd finished my scanning

Sooo - I went for an AGFA AFS3

I am astounded by the results - slides scan very well, 40 year old negs scan very well - I had forgotten how much grain there was in B&W film - I can't believe how well the little machine converts Slides, colour negs and B&W negs some of these go back to late 60s

Doubt very much if they are anywhere near a top of the range scanner but it does what I need - so if you want a cheap user friendly slide and fil scanner - Im not making a recomendation b it I am very happy with what i bought

Cost £9.50

Regards

f

Edited by FTW

Evening All

With the demise of K64 my interest in photographing aircraft with a digital camera is not the same.

Please explain -presume you mean non digital photography is better? Is K64 a camera?

Please explain -presume you mean non digital photography is better? Is K64 a camera?

Evening

K64 = Kodachrome 64 and K25 = Kodachrome 25

I've collected 35mm slides using K64 & K25 for over 40 years and traded with guys across the world swapping slides most of which required K64/K25 slides in return - sometimes i would buy slides to fill in gaps in my collection

For many collectors K64 or K25 were the standard films used by those who wanted to trade slides the numbers referred to film speed 25 ASA & 64 ASA

For me it was about shooting the aircraft and possessing a 35mm slide

Digital is great but it just not the same - it's a personal thing and probably an age thing - and in no way meant to criticise digital photography which I do and I'm not trying to start an argument over what is better

Hope that helps

F

Edited by FTW

• 1 month later...

Hi

I see you have now purchased, so this advice is too late but may be of interest to others. I own a Nikon Coolscan 5000 and it has the following advantages:

1. Superb hi-resolution giving results like new DSLR files.

2. Software included works well allowing you to restore colours and contrast.

3. It and can be set to scan Kodachrome, Negs etc.

4. The dust and scratch removal is very impressive, saving hours of photoshop work.

5. You can scan to RAW files which gives you the abilty to use Camers RAW/Lightroom software giving you maximum control over the final image.

6. You can scan strips of negatives automatically.

Yes, it's expensive but well worth it for the serious user.

David

Hi

I see you have now purchased, so this advice is too late but may be of interest to others. I own a Nikon Coolscan 5000 and it has the following advantages:

1. Superb hi-resolution giving results like new DSLR files.

2. Software included works well allowing you to restore colours and contrast.

3. It and can be set to scan Kodachrome, Negs etc.

4. The dust and scratch removal is very impressive, saving hours of photoshop work.

5. You can scan to RAW files which gives you the abilty to use Camers RAW/Lightroom software giving you maximum control over the final image.

6. You can scan strips of negatives automatically.

Yes, it's expensive but well worth it for the serious user.

David

This subject has just caught my attention as I have the same situation with my slides. So, How much?

Edited by Paul J

Sooo - I went for an AGFA AFS3

re near a top of the range scanner but it does what I need - so if you want a cheap user friendly slide and fil scanner - Im not making a recomendation b it I am very happy with what i bought

Cost £9.50

Where did you get it from at that price?

Hello from a fellow Coolscan user!

I've had my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED since they came out and it's been great to use, especially with the SF210 bulk slide feeder. After a few trial runs, I now just load up 50 slides and fire and forget!

This subject has just caught my attention as I have the same situation with my slides. So, How much?

You'll be paying £399 for the Nikon. If you have just a few slides then go for something like the Agfa but if you have loads and/or you are a keen photographer then something like the Nikon Coolscan is worth it. The only probelm is that all your slide owning friends will be looking for favours!

David

I purchased a plustek OpticFilm 7200 several years ago and have run several thousand images (color slides, color negatives and black & white negatives) through it without a hitch. The programs included with the 7200 allow all the editing and correction most anyone would want. From earlier posts it appears as if I could have done better pricewise with some other brand, but I have no regrets as the 7200 got the gob done for me.