How do I prepare metal for spraying?

Hi,

I've been asked to paint a pewter model of a Hastings into a colour scheme as worn by 202 Sqn. I have a colour profile of the aircraft, and I have sourced appropriate decals etc. However, I have never sprayed anything other than plastic kits before now, and I don't want to ruin or spoil an expensive item! Please could someone with experience of doing this give me a few pointers on how to prepare the pewter and what kind of paints I should use. I was hoping to use Xtracolor enamels if appropriate, as these are what I normally use...

Many thanks in advance for any comments received!

TOTD

White metal usually needs to be cleaned up, a wire brush or micro mesh and a knife to tidy mould joints.

Then the metal is best primed, Halfords Grey is always an option, or any etching primer.

After that it's business as normal. Except CA glue and 2 part epoxy for strength to put the heavy duty pieces together.

Can't see a problem with xtracolor....

I'm sure other people will have a slightly different approach, but that's the way I usually do it.

I always used Halfords (or similar) basic primer when I was working with diecast trucks. Works OK but you have to be very careful when masking or the tape may lift the primer. On the plus side, if you do get it wrong, a quick scrub with Nitromors or a soak in brake fluid and the paint will disolve so you can start again.

Brian

etch primer will be a lot more resistant to chipping. normal grey primer will work ok but wont be as durable. make sure you key the metal with say 1200 grit wet+dry before you spray to give the paint something to stick to, and make sure its clean and degreased as others have said. once its primed you can pretty much regard it as any other model.