'77 Dodge Monaco police cruiser

LewsDad

It looks like...

"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

but it also looks like the Bluesmobile AFTER Jake and Elwood got done parking it.

Good luck with the restoration!

bestest,

M.

"we got a full tank of gas............and, were on a mission from GOD..."

Jake and Elrod.............[the BLUES brothers]

Not quite the Bluesmobile, guys (that was a '74) but still one of the most recognisable cop cars to anyone over a certain age and one of my all-time favourites.

This is the AMT Joker/Gotham PD kit, originally released by MPC in various tv guises (Dukes of Hazzard, TJ Hooker etc) iirc. Thinking I might go for a CHP flat-top interceptor look this time, if only because the lightbar's crap and I can't be bothered to try and scratch a new one...

dodge.jpg

That machine has some beefy rubber! Those rims and wide tires would look great on an early sixties racer.

They are quite wide! First one of these I made was bright red with big intakes, splitter, wing and Viper engine, and it looked the business. In this config it just looks like it'll tramline all over the shop!

What are you doing about decals?

I'll make my own to begin with, but if they're shoddy I'll try the tip below...

Lewsdad, try policecarmodels.com they have everything you will need such as lightbars and decals. You cant make up a yank police car without a lightbar :o

Admittedly they do look better,* and it seems like a lot of the CHP cars had very basic square-edged lightbars like the ones in the background of that pic, so I might have a crack at it. It's the last thing to go on anyway, so I've got plenty of time!

Thanks for the encouragement so far, it's... encouraging! :D

*apart from the '69 Polara 440 interceptor, which not only remains the fastest-ever full-size highway patrol car but, for my money, is also the best-looking:

1969-dodge-polara-10.jpg

4659586001_3017723509_z.jpg

1969-dodge-polara-06.jpg

Not quite the Bluesmobile, guys (that was a '74) but still one of the most recognisable cop cars to anyone over a certain age and one of my all-time favourites.

This is the AMT Joker/Gotham PD kit, originally released by MPC in various tv guises (Dukes of Hazzard, TJ Hooker etc) iirc. Thinking I might go for a CHP flat-top interceptor look this time, if only because the lightbar's crap and I can't be bothered to try and scratch a new one...

dodge.jpg

i have all of them in all boxes (although i had to sell my DofH when i needed the money, i have a huge pile of batman and hooker ones)

Nice

I just recently build this for a g/b......TJ hooker varient..........will be nice to see what you will be doing with this rebuild.

Rgds

mrb

cool

Lewsdad, try policecarmodels.com they have everything you will need such as lightbars and decals. You cant make up a yank police car without a lightbar :o

i have had lots of bits from them over the years..

is there much interest in yank cop cars on here> i bought tons of books, decals etc as im a big fan (i have a few of the Yodel Monaco/fury too).

im going to be starting the hobby heaven 70's Ford but as a plain undercover cop car i think.....

I made mine into Huggy's ride!

I was looking at those pics yesterday when I was trying to decide what to do with the kit. Superb job, almost swayed me towards doing an unmarked version. (I originally built this one as factory stock in dark green and it didn't look anywhere near as nice as yours!)

i have all of them in all boxes (although i had to sell my DofH when i needed the money, i have a huge pile of batman and hooker ones)

Let me know if you get in a tight spot again - I'll have some off you if you need to get rid!

I was looking at those pics yesterday when I was trying to decide what to do with the kit. Superb job, almost swayed me towards doing an unmarked version. (I originally built this one as factory stock in dark green and it didn't look anywhere near as nice as yours!)

Let me know if you get in a tight spot again - I'll have some off you if you need to get rid!

im down to my last 10 AMT ones so hope not. i have some aftermarket decals for the 77 monaco, CHP and frisco. hope to use em one day soon

i built a few US cop cars over the years, Camaro 79. Monaco's, crown vics and camprices but i need to strip the paint, as the white went yellow, i didnt know it would at the time..

i used to have over a 1000 US car kits, but down to a 100 now....bah. i got lots and lots of books from the US, when i had more cash than i do now, and tons of lightbars etc.

DSCF0617.jpg

Sweet stash! I'll take the Revell Z28, two Monacos and a '70 Ford when you're ready. :)

hehe. out of shot i have the very old johan Fury cop cars too. in my stash, i have lots of 4x4's, so i could turn them into cop stuff. i have a couple of figures, but nowt modern....just fat sherreff

hehe. out of shot i have the very old johan Fury cop cars too. in my stash, i have lots of 4x4's, so i could turn them into cop stuff. i have a couple of figures, but nowt modern....just fat sherreff

if you have one that can be made in to "Sherrif" from the CARS film I would happily relieve you of it ;-)

if you have one that can be made in to "Sherrif" from the CARS film I would happily relieve you of it ;-)

never heard of that, can you google for a pic so i know what it is?

also whos a CHiPs tv show fan? i met eric estrada a few years ago....i was shaking my hips and pointing to my belt buckle at him....but everyone else just thought i was a perv or a wierdlo

JBot Decals in Canada do CHiP decals.

http://www.jbot.ca/cars/us/california.shtml

I've never ordered from JBot because whenever I thought about it his homepage kept saying he wasn't taking any orders. But as of last week it now looks like he is again! I'm tempted with a set of Vancouver police decals.

Here's JBots homepage. Anyone used his decals?

http://www.jbot.ca/welcome.shtml

I have two of the Johan kits mention earlier

329733295.jpg

329731747.jpg

Cheers!

JBot Decals in Canada do CHiP decals.

http://www.jbot.ca/cars/us/california.shtml

I've never ordered from JBot because whenever I thought about it his homepage kept saying he wasn't taking any orders. But as of last week it now looks like he is again! I'm tempted with a set of Vancouver police decals.

Here's JBots homepage. Anyone used his decals?

http://www.jbot.ca/welcome.shtml

I have two of the Johan kits mention earlier

Cheers!

i have some of his decals, never used them yet though.