Boeing 777-300ER conversion

Having recently finished a Minicraft Boeing 777-200ER, I decided my next civil project would be to convert the -200 series into a -300ER series. :banghead:

I bought a Minicraft Continental Airlines edition Boeing 777-200 and then set about getting the necessary conversion parts.

These included: Braz's resin fuselage plugs, Contrail Models' resin GE-90-115B engine set and raked wing tips, and finally F-DCAL's Emirates decal sheet (this will need some minor adjustments.)

I've made a start tonight and the following pictures show progress so far...

Everything ready for the off...

IMG_0168.jpg

Contrails' engine set:

IMG_0164.jpg

Contrails' raked wing tip set:

IMG_0165.jpg

Braz's fuselage plugs:

IMG_0162.jpg

FDCAL's instructions:

IMG_0166.jpg

The decals themselves:

IMG_0167.jpg

Front cutting point:

IMG_0169.jpg

Rear cutting point:

IMG_0170.jpg

Test fitting of front plug:

IMG_0172.jpg

Test fitting of rear plug:

IMG_0173.jpg

Fuselage conversion complete:

P2070471.jpg

She is LOOOOOONNNNGGGG!

P2070472.jpg

Filling is next; I'll try and post some more pics when this is done.

Well I've been busy with the filler and here she is in her current state... hoping to get the sanding and re-scribing done over the weekend and then primed up in preparation for the wings.

P2110473.jpg

P2110476.jpg

I've also now changed my plans and have decided to do one of BA's new -336ERs. Out of interest does anyone know if the BA machines have corruguard on top of the wings? The undersides are all grey but I can't find any top shots. Any help would be much appreciated!

Have been busy this weekend. I sanded the 777 yesterday and gave it a coat of primer, then did some correcting of a few blemishes and gave the entire fusealge a going over with some super-fine sand paper.

IMG_0179.jpg

Front left view:

IMG_0180.jpg

Rear left:

IMG_0181.jpg

Front right:

IMG_0182.jpg

Rear right:

IMG_0183.jpg

Comparison of fusealge length with my recently finished 777-200:

IMG_0184.jpg

The wings will be the next job.

Edited by tomprobert

Looks like fun. Is it a trick of the lens, or is the resin slightly smaller in diameter than the kit parts? :hmmm:

Yes, but no more than 1mm in diameter. Nothing a bit of good old fashioned filling and sanding can't fix!!

Excellent progress, looks you kept everything aligned on the fuselage. Really nice plane and nice to know there is a GE90-115b conversion finally available. I was telling the BraZ guys at SWM they really needed to do one. Anyone know if the Contrails stuff is available in the UK.

On the plug size, I had a similar issue with my A340-600 conversion. Even though that was molded as two halves, the diameter was slightly smaller, may be it's to do with the resin shrinking slightly as it cures?

Oh and here's a photo of the Emirates for a bit of inspiration.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Bo...-31H/0642311/L/

Excellent progress, looks you kept everything aligned on the fuselage. Really nice plane and nice to know there is a GE90-115b conversion finally available. I was telling the BraZ guys at SWM they really needed to do one. Anyone know if the Contrails stuff is available in the UK.

On the plug size, I had a similar issue with my A340-600 conversion. Even though that was molded as two halves, the diameter was slightly smaller, may be it's to do with the resin shrinking slightly as it cures?

Oh and here's a photo of the Emirates for a bit of inspiration.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Bo...-31H/0642311/L/

Hi Darren,

I had to go directly to the US to get the engines, his website is very user friendly. Couldn't find anyone who imports them to the UK I'm afraid, but someone else out there might!

Super project! But, bear in mind that 773ER Emirates have larger wordmark for the carrier while the decal from FDcal is for a B777-200 with smaller wordmark and the windows are already printed over. Pay attention to the last 3 letters of wordmark (ie Emira-!tes!) closely, 4 windows over on 772 against 9 on the 773.

Stoking up with chips and cola, tracing the project.

Super project! But, bear in mind that 773ER Emirates have larger wordmark for the carrier while the decal from FDcal is for a B777-200 with smaller wordmark and the windows are already printed over. Pay attention to the last 3 letters of wordmark (ie Emira-!tes!) closely, 4 windows over on 772 against 9 on the 773.

Stoking up with chips and cola, tracing the project.

Thanks for this info. You're absolutely spot on in terms of the window layout and titling - I've had a good look tonight and I think it will be near on impossible to get an accurate -300ER in Emirates colours using this sheet. That'll teach me to start a project without researching it properly!!

Therefore I've come over all patriotic and I think I'm going to do one of the new British Airways -336ERs. I've got an Xtradecal sheet for the 777 and this looks like a far more straight forward route in terms of decalling. With a few items from the decal spares box it shouldn't be too tricky... I say with fingers crossed.

Thanks for this info. You're absolutely spot on in terms of the window layout and titling - I've had a good look tonight and I think it will be near on impossible to get an accurate -300ER in Emirates colours using this sheet. That'll teach me to start a project without researching it properly!!

Therefore I've come over all patriotic and I think I'm going to do one of the new British Airways -336ERs. I've got an Xtradecal sheet for the 777 and this looks like a far more straight forward route in terms of decalling. With a few items from the decal spares box it shouldn't be too tricky... I say with fingers crossed.

there is a British Airways Boeing 777-300ER decal sheet availble

ba777-300.jpg

i had it custom made when BA took Delivery of the first -300ER still got it to do

i will PM you his Contact Address should you want to use this sheet

Richard

Might it have been easier (or even cheaper) to use two kits, rather than the resin fuselage plugs? Use the long centre section from one, and longer rear and forward sections from the other. That would also eliminate the problem of having the plug pieces narrower. How do the kits compare in price to the plugs?

That's how I did an Airfix Trident 3B many years back.

Cheers,

Mac.

Might it have been easier (or even cheaper) to use two kits, rather than the resin fuselage plugs? Use the long centre section from one, and longer rear and forward sections from the other. That would also eliminate the problem of having the plug pieces narrower. How do the kits compare in price to the plugs?

Cheers,

Mac.

Hi Mac

look at my thread of how i converted my -200 into 300ER maybe this will be of use to you next time you do one

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=202561

i have started but not yet finished a 767-400ER the same way

Richard

Cheers,

Mac.

Hmmm.... in terms of the fuselage plugs it may have been easier, the only problem would be you still need to fork out on the engines and wing-tips (unless you are scratch building them like Rich) if you want to do the 300ER version. Interesting idea though.

I've got the wings done now but can't post the pictures as have exceeded by limit. Does anyone know what the monthly limit is?

Very impressive work so far! ;)

Considering the base kit, I can only imagine all the work put into this project so far....

I'm very tempted myself to accumulate everything to start a Qatar -300ER

Any opinions on the Contrail replacement windscreen?

Best regards,

Guillaume

Very impressive work so far! ;)

Considering the base kit, I can only imagine all the work put into this project so far....

I'm very tempted myself to accumulate everything to start a Qatar -300ER

Any opinions on the Contrail replacement windscreen?

Best regards,

Guillaume

I haven't used it on this build as I've gone for lots of blending with filler. If it's anything like the wing-tips it'll fit superbly, the engines look great too.

I've exceeded my picture limit so am waiting to post some more pics - the wings are on and I'm about to begin on the engines.

Watch this space...

I have two accounts with PB and have bunged loads of pics on both but niether have reached thier limit...

maybe you could open a second account? You'll need another email addy but that might solve the problem.

You might also think about opening accounts at a couple more image hosting sites and spreading your pics across them.

That way you avoid filling one up.

I have two accounts with PB and have bunged loads of pics on both but niether have reached thier limit...

maybe you could open a second account? You'll need another email addy but that might solve the problem.

You might also think about opening accounts at a couple more image hosting sites and spreading your pics across them.

That way you avoid filling one up.

Thanks, will give that a try!