Spitfire Single Type Group Build

About a week ago, I started a Tamiya Spitfire Mk1, intending to use the decals from the superb Southern Expo sheet. This is as far as I got.

query01.jpg

If I suspend work on this (I have plenty of things to keep me busy for the next week or so) will it fulfil the 25% rule? If so, can I include it in the groupbuild?

About a week ago, I started a Tamiya Spitfire Mk1, intending to use the decals from the superb Southern Expo sheet. This is as far as I got.

query01.jpg

If I suspend work on this (I have plenty of things to keep me busy for the next week or so) will it fulfil the 25% rule? If so, can I include it in the groupbuild?

I'd say that just about fits within the 25% rule. :)

Jason

I've just finished 30-odd 1/48 Spit/Seafires and I'm about to venture into 1/32 scale. I have the following in the stash currently.

Revell 1/32 Seafire II

Revell 1/32 Spitfire I/II

Revell 1/32 Spitfire F.22/24

Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire V

PCM 1/32 Spitfire IXc

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire V

I'd like to join in with one or more of these please.

As it happens my stash has 12 1/72 Spits in it. My (admittedly somewhat ambitious) plan is to try and do one per week.

For me Spits look best in the air, and fortunately I've got a pair of '5-Up' displays and a 'dogfight double' knocking around.

Planned builds are therefore as follows... we'll see how far I get!

Dogfight double:

Matchbox Spitfire Mk.IX 'Hornet Squadron' from Piece of Cake

Airfix Spitfire Mk.IX 'Hornet Squadron' from Piece of Cake

5-Up:

Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VIII, 155 Sqn, India, 1944

Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, 79 Sqn RAAF, New Guinea, 1944

Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, 85 Sqn RAAF, Victoria, 1945

Academy Spitfire XIV, 610 Sqn, 'doodlebug killer', 1944

Italeri Spitfire Mk.Vb, USAAF, 1943

5-Up:

Italeri Spitfire Mk.Vb, 603 Sqn, Malta, 1942

Italeri Spitfire Mk.Vb, 601 Sqn, Malta, 1942

Italeri Spitfire Mk.Vb, 249 Sqn, Malta, 1942

Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb, 312 (Czech) Sqn, 1942

Airfix Spitfire Mk.I, 313 (Czech) Sqn, 1941

Edited by maltadefender

Havent built a plane in years so might have a bash at a Spit. In armour modelling I us Tamiya acrylics - do they do a range of RAF stuff - if not, whats the best range of acrylics that contains RAF colours

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes, Tamiya covers both Dark Green/Dark Earth and Dark Green/Ocean Grey topsides and pretty well every underside as well.

Go on, give it a go!

I think I'll commit to the Airfix 1:48 Mk. I in prewar configuration and the Airfix 1:48 Seafire 47 for a "first and the last" theme duo...

Not a rumour Mk 16 due fairly imminently...

It's already out, I've seen one on the shelves at the LHS. I don't know if it would arrive here on the west coast of Canada any sooner than the UK, but either way it shouldn't be long to wait hopefully.

Edited by Sabre_days

I have three spits in the stash and am taking part in a Spit build on another Forum - I take it that it will not matter if I build the same for more than one GB on different Forums?

The three are all 1/48 :

Airfix XII - I shall do as EB-S using aftermarket decals for the S (being my initial) and with retractable tailwheeel (S was one with retractable so I believe) and with the thin invasion stripes that others have discussed on this site. Whether it is strictly accurate I don't know but don't care as I think it could look good.

ICM VIII - in Fargo Express but using aftermarket decals because they seem better than the kit ones and include stencils, etc.

Academy XIVe - in the Violet Dorothy markings (Aviaeology) using the replacement cowling and exhausts, but otherwise OOB unless I come across a new spinner and props in the meantime - I am not going to the lengths of other major surgery on the kit.

As and when Airfix bring out the Seafire XVII I intend getting two and another XII so that I can build two XVIIs one with wings up and another in flight and then a XV.

All will be brush painted (I have no AB).

I will not get all these done by the deadline. Not sure which I will start, but will see which one I finish in time.

SLoB

Hi SLoB,

You're welcome to enter your models in multiple Group Builds as long as each one isn't more than 25% already started. :)

Jason