SILVER DOPE ?

JOAN

Hi all,

What is the best painting for a brit silver dope rendering ?? From Hawker Fury to Vampire...didn't find the good technic or paint : to silvered and not enough grey...any advise welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

O.

What is called "silver dope" is really nothing more than clear dope with aluminum powder mixed in. This 'silver coat' is applied to fabric covered airframes to provide protection to the fabric from the sun. The silver coats can be covered with colored or camouflage coats, or left as a final finish itself resulting in savings of labor, material and weight. An aircraft in silver dope with polished metal panels is truly a thing of beauty. This finish was very popular in the 1920's and 30's and resulted in some of the most attractive military and civilian schemes ever seen. The silver coat finish can vary from a quite bright, almost a metallic flake appearance to a silver/grey. I've seen both extremes on aircraft I've owned but I couldn't tell you what made the difference! :huh: The surface sheen as you would expect, depends on the condition of the surface itself. If it's cared for and polished, it's shiny, if neglected, its dull!

I've used a wide range of paints on my models for fabric left in silver coats, I can't say I have found any particular brand or type better than another. I tend to prefer paints that are a bit more 'grainy' or have larger pigment particles to provide a bit of contrast to any bare aluminum metal panels.

Hope this helps a bit, and not just muddy the waters!

Eric

What is called "silver dope" is really nothing more than clear dope with aluminum powder mixed in. This 'silver coat' is applied to fabric covered airframes to provide protection to the fabric from the sun. The silver coats can be covered with colored or camouflage coats, or left as a final finish itself resulting in savings of labor, material and weight. An aircraft in silver dope with polished metal panels is truly a thing of beauty. This finish was very popular in the 1920's and 30's and resulted in some of the most attractive military and civilian schemes ever seen. The silver coat finish can vary from a quite bright, almost a metallic flake appearance to a silver/grey. I've seen both extremes on aircraft I've owned but I couldn't tell you what made the difference! :huh: The surface sheen as you would expect, depends on the condition of the surface itself. If it's cared for and polished, it's shiny, if neglected, its dull!

I've used a wide range of paints on my models for fabric left in silver coats, I can't say I have found any particular brand or type better than another. I tend to prefer paints that are a bit more 'grainy' or have larger pigment particles to provide a bit of contrast to any bare aluminum metal panels.

Hope this helps a bit, and not just muddy the waters!

Eric

Thanks Eric !

Very helpful.

Cheers

O.

I use Floquil Old Silver (from their railroad colors line) for my Aluminium Dope, and then finish it off with some Testor's Dullcoat to get the final finish:

Fury005.jpg

Gladfinished006.jpg

Cheers,

Doug

Wow ! nice models....I think there is a 48 Fury here....I have somes to build.

Thanks for your reply.Very helpful.

Cheers

O.

I find Halfords Nissan Silver with an overspray of Games Workshop Purity Seal to dull the final finish gives a nice silver dope. Used it on my Nimrod.

DSC03480.jpg

Very nice Nimrod ! the 72's CMR ? The final varnish seems to be very important as well....I love the shade richness in modelling.

Thanks for your answer.

Cheers

O.

Very nice Nimrod ! the 72's CMR ? The final varnish seems to be very important as well....I love the shade richness in modelling.

Thanks for your answer.

Cheers

O.

1/48 conversion of the Airfix Fury

Thanks for the info, I was thinking more along the line of a geriatric ignoramus.... :spudniksmurf:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys have drifted over to interwar from my usual home on the WW1 threads.

I use Plasti-kote enamel Silver 109S from an aerosol can it gives a lovely smooth dull aluminium finish. When it's varnished over it looks perfect for doped fabric. Wilkinsons sell it but be careful it is very fine grained and will show up all the surface flaws.

Ed