1/76 cable for crane rigging-suitable thread.

max stafford

One of my current railway projects involves a Cowans & Sheldon rail mounted crane of 1940s vintage. All is going pretty well, but I'm going to need a suitable thread or similar agent for the hoist/rigging cable. The stuff I use for aircraft rigging is way too fine as this crane is one with a 10t lifting capacity. Does anybody know of anything suitable. Cotton thread is a complete no-no as it's too 'hairy'!

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
G'day Dave,

Very fine wire twisted into a single thread is my usual choice for representing wire rope.3 strands wound into 1 can give a very effective result,the trick is twisting them evenly.

Thanks Alex and apologies for the late reply. This sounds like an interesting method and I will be having an experiment. I imagine the method involves anchoring the strands at one end and placing the other end in the chuck of a hand drill or similar?

Dave.

No worries Dave,it's not like you're throwing a sickie at work or anything.I like the sound of EricB's idea,could be a bit of mileage in it.

As for my suggestion,yes that will work.Hold the free ends together while you are turning the other end with something suitable.A cordless drill nice and steady takes a lot of the ballache out of the job.Just make sure the strands of wire are straight and kink free before you start.

Enjoy experimenting,it's surprisingly easy to make something that looks complex.It's also just as easy to make a balls of it,been there done that still do on a laughably regular basis.