Sea Hurricane IIc Airfix 1/72

Hi

This is my contribution to the Group Build.

My inspiration is the Shuttlworth Collection's airworthy example...

scseahurri.jpg

scseahurri1.jpg

scseahurri2.jpg

Please see below the box shot, and contents...

SeaHurribox.jpg

SeaHurrisprue.jpg

And one of my references...

Hurriref.jpg

I will be building straight from the box, using the kit decals. I will simultaneously be building the "old mould" Airfix IIc in BBMF SEAC markings.

Hi

I have now glued on the wings, rudder and tailplanes. I have deflected the rudder and drooped the elevators slightly in line with my picture of the Shuttleworth Collection's example above. I am now going to sand the various join lines before applying the Halfords White Plastic Primer.

SeaHurrirudder2.jpg

SeaHurrirudder.jpg

SeaHurrirudder1.jpg

Certainly coming along well and at a fair pace. Mine is a hairy stick attempt to do while I encourage my daughter into the hobby.

How did you get on with the arrester hook.

Hi Madmonk

I don't own an airbrush either, so I do most of my painting with a brush, using Halfords aerosols for tricky colours like white and black.

The arrestor mechanism was a hairy moment for me, as I like quick, straight from the box builds and get nervous cutting chunks out of a perfectly good kit! I don't have a razor saw, so I used a set of side cutters for the thickest plastic fore and aft and then scored the rest with my scalpel. It is not perfect, but then I am not a perfectionist!!

I've made the mods for the arrester, now needs some filler though. I have an airbrush but everything is packed away as we move house in 3 weeks but I wanted something to do to keep my hand in. The sea hurricane looks different from the usual camo finish!

Hi

I have now brush painted the camouflage on her nose over the Halfords White Primer, which I an keeping as the top coat.

I have painted the exhausts with my home brew of Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal mixed with Humbrol 55 Bronze and I have painted the cannon Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal and then buffed them slightly.

I applied strips of white-painted black decal sheet to the canopy.

Next step is a coat or two of Klear followed by the decals.

seahurripainted.jpg

seahurripainted1.jpg

Hi

The decals are on and the canopy is resting in place. I still need to glue on the exhausts, pitot and landing light lenses. I had to reconstruct the radio mast, because the top part snapped off as I was removing it from the sprue. I plan to do some very light weathering followed by a coat of W&N Galeria Matt Varnish.

Seahurridecals-1.jpg

Seahurridecals1.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

Thanks Jason. I don't have an airbrush, and I have found that the Halfords White Plastic Primer is an ideal top coat, if you don't need a high-gloss finish.

Yep, I only have brushes myself, and anything that can quicken the process and still give great results works for me! I'll probably get some Halford's Black paint for the base of my sub as well, saves me worrying about brush marks!

J.

Hi

I have finished my Sea Hurricane! I applied couple of washes of W&N Raw Umber, followed by a coat of W&N Galeria Satin Varnish to seal everything in. I Have shown the hook extended and have chosen not to add any staining from the cannon or exhausts.

More pictures here

All in all, a fun build of a Hurricane in different clothes!

seahurrifinis4.jpg

Nice looking Sea Hurricane Alpha, mine is in a stalled position at moment but hope it come out as good as yours soon.

What is the Haynes Manual like, I have a 1/24 Hurricane that it would be nice to add more detail to.

Nice looking Sea Hurricane Alpha, mine is in a stalled position at moment but hope it come out as good as yours soon.

What is the Haynes Manual like, I have a 1/24 Hurricane that it would be nice to add more detail to.

Hi madmonk

Thanks for your comments. I think Airfix should be applauded for producing a different subject for Hurricane fans. Despite the coats of paint, the detail is a little heavy for my tastes, as I prefer not to see over-scale panel lines etc. Having said that, she looks the part and I am pleased with her.

I think the Haynes manuals are excellent for modellers as they have plenty of detail shots in addition to period photos. I think that they are much better value than the SAM Modellers Datafile books. I picked up the latest one on the B-17 from Amazon for around £12.