Meteor TT20

JOHN ELLIS

I'm looking for photos of the target towing equipment under the rear fuselage of the Meteor TT20. I am referring to the original 4 x drogue installation. I have the datafile book amongst others which has a drawing but would like some clear photos. A future project is a flying model of a TT20. I have done the usual google searches etc with no luck. I am hoping someone has got some photos or access to a TT20.

Thanks

John

Here is one from the TT.20 at the Yeovilton restoration facility. Photo by Steve Naylor.

TT20_Towgear_general_01.jpg

The 1/48 pattern for the Cooper Details limited edition conversion for the Classic Airframes Meteor:

TT20BufferStrutAssy.jpg

The best bet is the book "The Long Drag: A Short History of British Target Towing" that has a number of drawings and photos of the TT.20 useful for model making.

Thanks Regulus

Thats the photo I am after. It would have been nice to be complete but I can work with that. The long drag book has good details of the winch and cable run but nothing on the underside of the aircraft. The datafile book has a drawing showing this but is not clear enough to draw up the components. I have found a site that has a "Gloster Meteor TT.20 Aircraft Servicing Manual RAF AP101B-2920-1" for sale for under $20. It might be worth getting.

John

Thanks Regulus

Thats the photo I am after. It would have been nice to be complete but I can work with that. The long drag book has good details of the winch and cable run but nothing on the underside of the aircraft. The datafile book has a drawing showing this but is not clear enough to draw up the components. I have found a site that has a "Gloster Meteor TT.20 Aircraft Servicing Manual RAF AP101B-2920-1" for sale for under $20. It might be worth getting.

John

Good to see the TT20 being tackled, as I knew Don Evans who wrote 'The Long Drag', but unfortunately passed away a little over a year ago. His mind was razor sharp regarding his target towing days, and always had a good tale to tell. Actually have his wooden 32nd scale TT20 under my desk at work being repaired as it was our weather vane at the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection but suffered storm damage last year ( it actually flew 100 yards on a strong South Westerly!) If you are interested we have an actual Meteor U16 'WK800' in our collection, if you needed any info on that? Good luck with the build.

• 4 weeks later...

I've come across a photo that may be useful and I notice that it doesn't have the rear unknown mounting bracket.

Steve

Meteor20TT2020WD678-cu20-Changi-1962-S908As.jpg

Edited by worm