1/48 Tamiya Swordfish

Hello friends.

Thank you for your nice words.

absolutely superb but would the torpedo blades be so shiny? not a critisism just a comment

Hi plimsol, no problem, i like to know what my fellow modelers think and know. I think that the pics show it more shiny, but even so you are right, nothing that a coat of satin coat dont fixe. Thank you for your opinion.

beautiful model, the paint looks perfect and captures the weather beaten feel of the stringbag perfectly, i hope my one turns out as nice!

as to "why stringbag?", the nickname came about as in the UK many people of the era used to carry around in their handbag or pockets a handy bag made from woven string to make it easier to carry anything they needed during the day- the swordfish was very sturdy and was adapted to carry all sorts of loads- torpedoes, bombs, mines, depth charges, flares, smoke grenades, radar, even motorbikes! hence it was likened to the popular carry-all "string bag" :)

Hi lufbramatt, thank you! Always learning its what i think and i have learned something with you about my favorite bi-plane! Thank you for the explanation.

Best regards

Vitor Costa

Hello Friends

Once more, thank you very much for your comments. When i read this words in a "brit" site... you can imagine the value of your comments to me.

That is one beautiful piece of work.

I have just decided that I shall be buying one as my next big build.

Hi Billy, im looking forward to see it here! Its a beautiful bird so... what are you waiting for?

Absolutely beautiful build and photography Vitor, would you mind describing your set up for taking phots?

Regards

Bruce

Hi Pacificmustang, the first photo was taken by a "professional" friend, the others... just the automatic of my camera a cyber-shot from Sony the DSC-V3 and some luck i guess :-)

Absolutely lovely build!

Also a good reference for my own Swordfish project, thanks!

Hi Billy, if you want i can send you lots (really lots) of pictures that i toke in the building process, feel free to ask.

Briliant job.

Where is mine? I have to get it out of my stash.

Cheers Arnold :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Hi Arniec, go there fast please! Swordfish kits are always welcome here!

also, all the torpedo propellor blades i have seen have been very shiny- at duxford, hendon and the IWM Lambeth. I know they are restored museum exhibits but the brass/bronze propellors are always highly polished so I dont think it looks wrong imo.

Hi Lufbramatt, the pics i have are recent ones, probably the mistake (if there is one) was that, i didnt have good references from the real one at war time! But like i wrote before the flash of the camera give more shine to the "metal" parts, thank you for you research.

Thank you all guys

Best regards

Vitor Costa

That is a beautiful model.

I could sit all day and look at pictures of that.

You really have to 'get into' a model to want to finish it to that.Thats not building a model for the sake of a model being built..thats wanting have a stringbag in all its features.

Truly brilliant.

Can't recall seeing a better 1/48 than this one (and there have been some fabulous models on this site). If the criteria is to have that indefinable air of reality then you sir are at the top of the pile. The fact that such a great model is a Swordfish merely adds to the spice. wonderful.

very best

Groucho

Hello Friends

GREAT!

Regards

Ilan

That is a beautiful model.

I could sit all day and look at pictures of that.

You really have to 'get into' a model to want to finish it to that.Thats not building a model for the sake of a model being built..thats wanting have a stringbag in all its features.

Truly brilliant.

trpsarge, i think i did that, i tried to put all the "things" that could bring something different to the kit, in the end i got excited and i did much more that i supposed to do when i started the kit

Can't recall seeing a better 1/48 than this one (and there have been some fabulous models on this site). If the criteria is to have that indefinable air of reality then you sir are at the top of the pile. The fact that such a great model is a Swordfish merely adds to the spice. wonderful.

very best

Groucho

Groucho i hope that this kit can be inspirational for some fellow modelers, if someone build one because he saw this one, i will be very happy.

I'm not surprised it won a 1st place, lovely model.

Thank you very much.

Regards from Portugal