J-35BS Draken 1/48

smoffo

Hello

This will be my first wip here on britmodeller.

Going to do the draken in finnish markings, it will be the first draken in finnsh use (DK-202). The hasegawa kit offers the F version and there are some really visual diffrences. The B model has a diffrent canopy, air intakes and top of vertical fin.

The conversion parts are from maestro models, including a set for lowered flaps. I also got the aires cockpit set.

All the parts:

IMG_9757.jpg

The good thing is that hasegawa included the markings for 4 different B models in the kit (even if you can't make a B model from the box).

Started a usual in the pit. Getting some plastic removed to fit the aires pit. Pretty easy, as the pit was almost a drop in replacement.

So far the cockpit has got the basic colors:

IMG_9758.jpg

Next is the pe parts for the instrument panel, as soon as the white paint has dried.

Michael

Ive got the Red spcial scheme boxing of this kit to do in the stash and i want to get my hands on the yellow one and the black one to go with it.

I just saw the yellow one in my LHS today, if you are intresetd give the shop a email.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/martti.kuivalainen/engindex.html

Got some small progress, there is a bit of work to get the inlet ducting to look ok. There is no parts in the kit as the original is blanked of just a 1cm from the inlet. This is propably fine when using the original parts but I have the shorter inlets and it looked stupid going the same way. Hard to describe but will post some pictures later today.

Michael

Edited by smoffo

Understand what you mean about the intakes Micheal. Do you have anything planned to represent the intake trunking? The curved flatened tube has caused me to stall a build several years ago.

The worst thing about the kit is the exhaust/fuselage joint. Do LOTS of dry fitting first and it should be an easy exercise.................

The worst thing about the kit is the exhaust/fuselage joint. Do LOTS of dry fitting first and it should be an easy exercise.................

Don't use too much filler. There is a step or change of profile there on the real Draken.

Jens

Managed to separate the flaps and ailerons. The wing root extends over on the exhaust part. There is a pe part to go instead of the removed flap so I had to open up the root.

IMG_9981.jpg

The fit of the exhaust seems to be pretty good, I found out that it's very easy to get it slightly out of position so have to be carefull when it comes to glueing.

The cockpit is ready, the only parts missing are the HUD and the seatbealts. Those will be put in much later.

IMG_9985.jpg

The ailerons where easy to remove and the resin parts had a good fit. A few airbubbles has to be filled and sanded.

IMG_9986.jpg

For the intakes it seems that the easiest way is to build a little wall in the fuselage. Made a few tests and you are not able to see anything inside the wing without pointing a flashlight down into the intake. Painting everything black will just improve. This is much easier than trying to build the whole intake ducting.

IMG_9987.jpg

Here you can se the diffrence in length of intakes.

IMG_9990.jpg

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress, the fuselage halfs are now glued together. When attaching the outer wings I left them in a simple jig to cure. I forgot to close the door to the hobby room and of course the cat got a little bit too curious. She pushed the plane of the jig, as a result I got a little step between the parts. The step was however easily removed with a sanding stick but a bunch of detail also disappeared.

The exhaust/fuselage joint was easier to get right than predicted, only a little bit of filler needed.

IMG_0083.jpg

It starts to look like a draken

IMG_0082.jpg

Michael

• 8 months later...

Have made some progress,

ES4F0422.jpg

The vacu canopy took some trimming to get right but only a little bit of filler will be needed.

Just some minor sanding and it's ready for paint.

All the resin conversion parts from maestro models fitted perfectly(fin top, short intakes and droped flaps) and as the other parts come in the box there was only one vent that had to be scratch built.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the paint down, painted using tamiya acrylics and alclad.

ES4F1052.jpg

ES4F1051.jpg

Had some problems with the resin intakes, for some reason the paint wouldn't stay on part of the inside. Both primer and paint came off in small sheets. Fortunately I have a pair of FOD covers from Two Mikes so I'll plug the holes with those :)

The green paint on the intakes will be blended with other greens as soon as I get to the oil paints.

Now it's time to hit the small parts.

Michael

Super work there!

Can I be nosy and enquire as to exactly what shades of Tamiya paints you used? I am planning a Swedish Draken in the same scheme, and I prefer using Tamiya paints. Your choice looks spot on!

Regards, Paul

Super work there!

Can I be nosy and enquire as to exactly what shades of Tamiya paints you used? I am planning a Swedish Draken in the same scheme, and I prefer using Tamiya paints. Your choice looks spot on!

Regards, Paul

I went with the suggestions on IPMS Stockholm, XF-66 for the underside and XF-13/XF-17 for the top side. The bottom bare metal is Alclad Dural aluminum as is also the wing and fin leading edge.

The colors looked like an eye ball match from photos I taken of a museum plane that is still in its original paint.

The dark blue(XF-17) has been mixed with some light grey and sprayed randomly across the plane.

The glass fiber intakes are a mix of two different greens and a yellow.

Michael

Cheers!

That's me sorted!

P

I went with the suggestions on IPMS Stockholm, XF-66 for the underside and XF-13/XF-17 for the top side. The bottom bare metal is Alclad Dural aluminum as is also the wing and fin leading edge.

The colors looked like an eye ball match from photos I taken of a museum plane that is still in its original paint.

The dark blue(XF-17) has been mixed with some light grey and sprayed randomly across the plane.

The glass fiber intakes are a mix of two different greens and a yellow.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

After a little painting the gear legs where ready to be installed

ES4F1529.jpg

Gear doors where painted and waiting for installation

ES4F1520.jpg

Wheels are also ready

ES4F1533.jpg

I decided that I wanted some training missiles under the wing. I found these in the spare box, they came with a CA F-5A and is the right Sidewinder model(AIM-9B)

ES4F1532.jpg

To get some launch rails I had to combine the two that comes with the kit. Of course none of them is correct

ES4F1148.jpg

When put together they look at least close to the real thing

ES4F1149.jpg

Michael