King George V 1:350

You think that's bad - Lion Roar upgrade for Yamato

Sometimes I wonder how many kilos of etch is stashed away never to be built in cuboards and closets all over the world. Probably tonnes of it.

Beside the Yamato set, I also have at least 10 similar sets that I know in my heart has none or small chance of ever being completet. Flyhawks Kongo-set, Hasegawas Akagi-sets, WEM's Hornet sets. The list is almost endless. And I still keep buying more and more....

Kongoetch2.jpg

Edited by denstore

Sounds very familiar, I have the Yamato and Mogami Lionroar sets, Hase sets for the Gambier Bay, Akagi, Nagato (both kits), Ise, and Agano plus all the WEM stuff for the Hornet, Nimitz, Kuznetsov, Kongo and Kirishima. It's not that I won't build them, but I don't have the space to display them. I really need to build/buy a bigger 1:1 House.

Anyway, back on topic. Just take your time with the etch, it can get extemely fiddly so a good set of magnifyers or the Optivisor rig is a must.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh for the love of....

It takes almost 1 month to order some new paint, and it arrives...minus the 2 colours I need. Replaced with "Wall" and "Marble".

I phone up the supplier, and lo and behold, Montana Gold don't do Diamond Grey or Dust Grey anymore! Of which marble and wall are apparently the replacements.

Well, you judge for yourselves - does this look like a suitable replacement???? (observe the lower section) :rant:

web.jpg

a) It's not even close in colour

B) It's a gloss

c) The finish is utterly dreadful. Goes on lumpy and gloopy. I tried different nozzles from cans which do work ok - no cigar. Looks like the formula itself has changed. Montana Gold have ****ed up royally here. The change in colours I could live with...but not the reduction in fineness and quality. A customer lost.

Now I'm in a dilema....I've already started with Diamond grey...do I continue with Marble, and hope nobody notices? i notice...and it'll bug me.

just caught your build of the KGV, as its my next project on the ship side!!!

dont know how far you have got with your photo-etch but i use Gator Grip for the photo etch stuff

i have found that its not as instant as cyno glue but gives you a little time to place and move.

it goes off in about 20 mins and then it will not be liable to being knocked off, as some cyno glues can be brittle.

you can get gator grip from little cars i would recomend this.

hope you get the paints sorted soon.

Edited by leader3

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back!

ok, I've found a close match for my missing paint at last - good ol' halfords! Goes on good too - I might buy more from there, now that Montana Gold have screwed up their formula...

Anyway, I re-sprayed all the superstructures apart from the top half of the bridge - you can now barely notice the difference in shades! And then I got the superglue out...at last. And here we are - most of the superstructure now done, and I've started on the weaponry.

Only real snag has been the front funnel and fitments around it; Tamiya have done such an excellent job on this kit, and it fits so snuggly, that even a coat of paint makes it tricky to fit together! :analintruder:

Oh and since this was taken, the kit anchor cables have been sanded out - I'll be using real chain for this. Not because this model is good enough to warrant it, but because I thought I'd give it a go, before applying it properly to the Bismark 1:350, which is waiting for this 'dry dock' to clear...

And here we are (note: the gun tops and the decks *do* match - not sure what the camera has done here):

web.jpg

Everything looks great so far. A beautiful kit of a beautiful ship. I'm doing my KGV as she was when she met Bismarck.

Cheers,

Don

Cheers guys! At least I know I'm on the right track then...first ship an' all...

Anyway, only a small update, what with finishing off my F117.

- Pom Poms on

- inflatables on; I went with an off-white for these, given that was a likely colour, rather than pure white.

- Barrels into main guns. Again, I've left these as hull colour, instead of the recommended two-tone of Tamiya. I may even paint the gaiters.

- Couple of super structure bits I missed yesterday added.

Sorry about the crap photo - took in a hurry with a rubbish camera:

web.jpg

There's a few stairs to do now, and it looks like I'll have to foray into the etch for the first time! yikes... :analintruder:

Your KGV looks a lot neater than mine. One thing I've learnt about attempting to handpaint a model this big is that I need to buy an airbrush and compressor before I do the next one!

I guess you've seen these 1945 pics

Hi-Res Pic of KGV

Close-up of secondary turret

It would be nice to be able to approach some of that level of detail :)

Your KGV looks a lot neater than mine. One thing I've learnt about attempting to handpaint a model this big is that I need to buy an airbrush and compressor before I do the next one!

I guess you've seen these 1945 pics

Hi-Res Pic of KGV

Close-up of secondary turret

It would be nice to be able to approach some of that level of detail :)

*edit - on closer inspection of Moltke's pics, I think I'll paint my pom poms black/grey, instead of Tamiya's recommendations. Wotcha think?

* edit 2 - ...and I'm going to do the etch version of the range finders

These are nice pics! Yes, an airbrush would be nice - I'd like one too, instead of working with rattle cans. Given this is my first ship, I've gotta say - I'm only using the spray for the really big sections - the hull, super structure etc. The guns I'm having to paint the metal by hand, and all the other fiddly bits too, so the hairy brush isn't completely redundant!

Anyway, I have some more progress:

- Range finders are on

- Cranes started! These are from the etch, and they're great...I've replaced the etch cables with my own silver thread though. Look better IMO. I left one crane raised, but I'm having second thoughts now - I think I'll fasten it down like the other one

- More guns done

- Anchor runs painted; gone for a lighter grey (almost a white), to highlight the anchors once they go one. Anchor chain has been sprayed gun metal, and looks ace; more pics tomorrow when I fit it

- Some etch stairways fitted - no real problems, surprisingly

- More bits and bobs done

Gotta say - the etch has worked well so far. But gahd it's *tiny*! Some tricky jobs ahead - the 20mm's to be done, and the AA's as well - all have etch, and all are TINY.

Well, another pic. Enjoy.

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

I use cans as well ,found airbrush just to much bother, the cans probly cost more but less messing

Been following your build with interest as I built this one many years ago and used the White Ensign p.e. when these things were just coming out, you picked a great kit to start with. The p.e. looks a bit daunting but is actually easy to use, i have been doing the Fujimi P.O.W. in 1/700 for the last few months with White Ensigns p.e. and some parts from G.M.M. and it is a real trawl in that scale!! As for painting an airbrush and White Ensign paints is the best way forward I found. Those Flyhawk p.e. sets are truly stunning though i wonder if they are a little overkill! Anyway keep on with the good work and enjoy.

Steve.

I use cans as well ,found airbrush just to much bother, the cans probly cost more but less messing

This isn't critic in any way, I'm only curious about what part of airbrushing you find messy? The painting itself or the cleanup?

I used to hate the preparation, cleaning, cleaning up overspray, the smell (or really the wifes complaints about it) and so on.

But today I find spraycans a lot messier than airbrushing, and I only use them for priming. I will try Vallejos primer soon, and hopefully it works good enough to retire the last spraycans permanently.

This isn't critic in any way, I'm only curious about what part of airbrushing you find messy? The painting itself or the cleanup?

I used to hate the preparation, cleaning, cleaning up overspray, the smell (or really the wifes complaints about it) and so on.

But today I find spraycans a lot messier than airbrushing, and I only use them for priming. I will try Vallejos primer soon, and hopefully it works good enough to retire the last spraycans permanently.

I have to agree with above, once I got used to using an airbrush I found the control and finish it provided really pleasing, the cleaning of anything i guess is a chore, though i have seen modeels of this size brush painted before that have been excellent. Each to his own i guess as long as we have fun which ever method we use, i do not do many 1/350 ships now but I have had a desire for a while now to do another K.G.V. or P.O.W. in 1/350, she who must be obeyed is not going to be happy!! Keep the build going it is looking good.

Steve.

Well, speaking of PE, the trick stuff has begun. Basically, the shoulder rests, the sights and the armour plate are all PE for the 20mm's....and I'm sicks of them already!

Why? Because I've done 3 (shoulder rests and gun barrel left to paint):

web.jpg

...but still have 27 left to do!

web.jpg

At this size the paint fills in the gaps in the sight, but given their size, I seriously doubt anyone will notice (see the clothes peg for reference size)....

*edit - yes, I know the left guns shoulder rests are upside down...but only the truly hawk-eyed will notice once it's in-situ :nerd:

Edited by silverburn

Coming along very nicely. Good to see you've got the AA production line going. Here are a couple of pics of my build, using the WEM etch. Yes, I know I missed the seam on the deck, but I was suffering from two slipped discs at the time so wasn't really concentrating.

Img_7562.jpg

Img_7565.jpg

Img_7564.jpg

Coming along very nicely. Good to see you've got the AA production line going. Here are a couple of pics of my build, using the WEM etch. Yes, I know I missed the seam on the deck, but I was suffering from two slipped discs at the time so wasn't really concentrating.

That's an excellent build btw - I especially love your rigging - how did you manage it???? That's the bit I'm dreading the most.