1/72 Airfix F-86F

cjhm

This is my first post so apologies for any newbie errors ...

Here is my Airfix F-86F, the recent 'new mould' kit

I've returned to modelling after 10 years or so 'child break' and have been building stuff 'from the box' to please myself, trying not to get hooked back on the need for resin\etch\decals etc etc for each kit I do

The Sabre was built as per instructions other than omitting the underwing tanks and filling the mounting holes as I wanted a clean look. I left canopy loose so it can be posed open or shut.

Silver is Citadel\Games Workshop Chainmail, the gun panels Boltgun Metal with the panel lines and other details picked out in the same companies Gryphonnia Sepia and Badab Black washes (borrowed from son's wargaming paints; they are really good quality products)

Details and interior are in Lifecolour, decals went on really well with aid of Mr Mark softner which were then sealed with Lifecolour satin clear

All painting was by brush, the base is a picture frame from local 99p store painted with grey\stone Lifecolour, weathered with GW and marked up into squares with a fine Sharpie marker

Only odd thing was the canopy, I had to paint the lower frame a lot wider than the marked frame line to make enough room for the pilot name decal to fit and match pictures I had

Hope you enjoy

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

Edited by cjhm

Very nice job there. I've built one not long ago finished in Frecce Tricolori Italian display team scheme and also found the canopy frame frustrating. But I did replace the wheels with nicely cast ones from Aeroclub as the kit main wheels in particular are quite poor but is still a nice kit. Well done.

Sabre fan,

Paul.

Julien, I didn't know Pavarotti was an F-86 jockey aswell!!:-)

Edited by Paul J

Lovely job and welcome from another newbie!

That new Airfix sabre kit looks great, I have done various Heller, Fujimi, Hasegawa and Academy versions of the F-86 and think I will have to add this one to the stash seeing your build.

Cheers

Simon

Very nice,i picked up some Games workshop paint to try their metallic s on a B17.

might pick up more if i can get though there over attentive staff .

Really good return on one of my favorite subjects.

• 2 weeks later...
Oooh I do like that.

Very nice.

Must have got it from Modelzone if your in Brighton? Or was it L&S Models?

Often pop in there on our seaside vist!

Adrian

Thanks for the compliment

LSA Models http://www.lsamodels.co.uk/, a 'proper' model shop - I've known the owner Jason for 25 years

When Modelzone was Model Aerodrome that was a different story .... (but they do a good sale!)

Edited by cjhm

Very nice indeed. Don't use acrylics but looks tempting now.

Thanks for the compliment

I never got on with the early acrylics (Tamiya\Gunze) but Lifecolor (when you need a proper match to real life) and GW\Citadel (for metalics, washes and close enough colour) seem very good. Drying time is fantastic compared to enamels, only complaint on Lifecolor is their greens\browns need 3-4 coats when using a brush (yes, I know they are meant for airbrushing!). The lack of odour compared to Humbrol and thinners reduces the domestic impact too :-)

only complaint on Lifecolor is their greens\browns need 3-4 coats when using a brush (yes, I know they are meant for airbrushing!)

Umm, no, LifeColor are not optimised for airbrushing, particularly (unlike, say, Tamiya acrylics).