The insides of a Jaguar

SaintsPhil

Afternoon!

I'm struggling to work out what colours the insides of a Jaguar GR1 should be. Namely, undercarriage bays, airbrake bays and the cannon bay. I think most, with exception of the Airbrake bays are a Zinc Chromate finish. I think the airbrake interiors will be the dark grey of the cammo scheme, is thus true for Gulf war desert pink finish?

Assuming I'm right can anyone suggest a suitable paint out the pot or am I going to have to mix?

Thanks

Phil

Afternoon!

I'm struggling to work out what colours the insides of a Jaguar GR1 should be. Namely, undercarriage bays, airbrake bays and the cannon bay. I think most, with exception of the Airbrake bays are a Zinc Chromate finish. I think the airbrake interiors will be the dark grey of the cammo scheme, is thus true for Gulf war desert pink finish?

Assuming I'm right can anyone suggest a suitable paint out the pot or am I going to have to mix?

Thanks

Phil

Hi,

I believe you're right re the zinc chromate colours in the insides of said bays. As for the insides of the airbrakes I would have thought they remained grey rather than paint them pink seeing as the pink was applied for what was going to be a 'temporary' scheme. A lot more paint in these areas would probably just add more weight and time consuming. But I daresay more knowledgeable Jag masters will confirm this.

Paul.

Been a while since I last looked at my Jag references but sure you're right about the zinc chromate in those areas although I think it may also have been used in the airbrake wells. May be worth having a look in the Jag GB thread for some of the reference photos posted there.

Casting my mind back 30 years - the u/c bay and the gun bays were definitely chromate.

As for the airbrakes, the inside of the airbrake was grey as was the recess that the retracted into. The actual bays (forward on either side) were chromate.

Invariably both were pretty grubby as the Microturbo was inside the LH airbrake and the refuel connector inside the RH.

http://sepecat.info/coppermine/displayimag...um=95&pos=8 gives some fairly good images that should answer all your questions.

Casting my mind back 30 years - the u/c bay and the gun bays were definitely chromate.

As for the airbrakes, the inside of the airbrake was grey as was the recess that the retracted into. The actual bays (forward on either side) were chromate.

Invariably both were pretty grubby as the Microturbo was inside the LH airbrake and the refuel connector inside the RH.

http://sepecat.info/coppermine/displayimag...um=95&pos=8 gives some fairly good images that should answer all your questions.

all of those last images at the Jag site are mine if anyone wants any then let me know.

Oh and yes the guy is using them with my OK.

Julien

Afternoon!

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm restoring/re-building a 1:1 Jag GR.1A at the moment and all the bays are zinc chromate finished, except the rear, recessed portion of the airbrake bay which is camouflage coloured.....dark sea grey both sides on our particular jet (XX741). The inside of the actual airbrake is also finished in DSG. Xtracolor do a zinc chromate which is a good match....I even used this to touch up XX741 in places! :)

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes