Percival Proctors - 756 Sqn FAA - codes & colours?

John B (Sc)

Hi folks.

A rather odd & probably challenging request.

Does anyone have any information about the colours or codes for no756 Sqn FAA's Proctors? They formed in late 1939, early 1940 at Worthy Down as a Comms Squdron on the Proctor 1a I believe.

I'm fairly sure the main scheme would have been green & brown with yellow undersurfaces - though whether the demarcation line was halfway down the fuselage or at the bottom of the side is open to doubt. Would anyone have information on codes - and on whether the undercarriage spats were painted in camouflage or yellow ? - my bet is for yellow.

Pictures of second line machines are rather rare...

Cheers,

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

According to Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, although earmarked to form at Worthy Down in 1939, 756 did not acrually materialise until 1941. By that time, I would guess the Proctors would have had low demarcations.

One of the aircraft listed as belonging to 756 is BV630. In Putnam's British Naval Aircraft since 1912, there is a picture of BV559, and it has a low demarcation (Actually, it has a very low contrast scheme and is taken on ortho-ish film (Blues are lighter than reds - so I wouldn't rule out TSS as an upper option.

It has AI type roundels. No mention of codes, although there are Proctors of two other squadrons illustrated with codes (752 and 754).

I have seen a colour photo of an RN Proctor, in TSS over yellow, but I think it was a late war version

Remembered!

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthrea...ctor+royal+navy

Most intruiging is the comment re the undersides being Sky/DEB rather than yellow, which the colour photo seems to confirm!!

Edited by Dave Fleming

Thanks Dave - (and vulcanicity)

Interesting. I have found conflicting information online - the earliest suggesting a 39-40 formation, but quoted as '755/756' so perhaps only one actually stood up then. I think I'd go with your source as more likely to be authoritative. (On average!)

That underside colour reference is interesting too - thanks.

I think the Squadron became a deck landing trials squadron in Ceylon late in the war. The FAA tended to form and disband units more readily & rapidly than the RAF did, typically.

Oh - and I am being immensiely thick - TSS?

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

John,

I may have misled you re BV599

Re-reading my post, I can see how - the aircraft listed in Squadrons of the FAA are P6007 (Proctor I) and BV630 (Proctor IIa)

I mentioned BV599 as it was close to BV630, and would probably be in the same scheme.

Sorry for causing confusion