Advise and views on the 1/72 Academy P-51D/F-51D

phat trev

In our scale (1/72) I’m hoping the Polish connection is strong enough to induce Arma to produce a a P-51B/C as that appears to currently be last best chance for a correct B/C version.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm not sure what the situation is for UK modelers buying Tamiya kits, but Hobbylink Japan lists them for $7.60 USD, which is around 5.84 BP. Shipping to the U.S, is $6.80 USD which equates to 5.22 BP. Note sure how much more to ship to the UK, but pretty sure even two of them would be under the tariff limit. I would also rate the Tamiya  P-51D kit as the best overall and the Airfix kit next,based on my observations as listed below:

Tamiya

accurate shapes and dimensions; very nice panel lines; rear wall of wheel bay is not correct, as it follows the outline of the bay; sliding hood and its framework are separate parts, but if you're very careful, is not a factor; no option for dropped flaps

Airfix

accurate shapes and dimensions; panel lines wider and deeper than Tamiya kit; sliding hood has framework included in the transparency; has dropped flaps option; has correct mainspar/wheelbay (The only 1/72 kit that gets this right!); balances on elevators are not correct, but can be easily corrected with careful scribing.

I would suggest searching the internet for kit reviews and build articles for both kits to help you make a decision. On the P-51B/C subject, I strongly suggest looking at the numerous and extensive discussions we have had on  this topic here on BM; that there is no out of the box accurate 1/72 kit is an agreed consensus, with the possible exception of the old Monogram kit (spot-on contours and dimensions, but no cockpit or  wheel bay detail, simplified carb intake, raised panel line and thick canopy), but there are several ways to get one, depending upon what's in your kit stash, your skill level, or how finicky you are regarding accuracy. Long way around would be to wait until Eduard does the 1/48 P-51D and P-51B/C they are working on- they will eventually do them in 1/72, like they have some of their other 1/48 releases. Me, being God's older brother, I can't wait that long, so will moist likely do some crosskitting, as we have discussed a while back.  Good luck! Hope this helps a little.

Mike

Both Tamiya and Airfix has the same type of canopy with loose frame...

Cheers / André

14 hours ago, Andre B said:

Both Tamiya and Airfix has the same type of canopy with loose frame...

Oops- you are right, Andre! I had canopies from a Hasegawa P-51D in the box with my Airfix kit, so didn't look at the sprue! Sorry for the misinformation!

Mike

• Like 1