C-130J-30 Neoprene colour?

jacksdad

All RAF J Hercules have the under belly/ stone protection. This is due to the amount of damage encountered when landing on beaches/ unprepared runways. All of this comes as a roll and as all of the aircraft will be painted in the dark green, as and when they go through the Major servicing programme at Marshall's. Most of the short aircraft have not reached the Major milestone yet and so therefore are still in Grey with the dark green patches all over it. So you can see many variations of colour scheme at Lyneham. I can almost down to each aircraft (Shorty's) look and know which one it is at the moment. Also there are two aircraft with black radomes which further helps in identification.

Hope this helps

Simon Fisher

Here's a pic I took the other day showing the colour of the neoprene coating on a very faded Mk5...

neo.jpg

As an aside, does anyone make aftermarket resin LAIRCM blisters for the J yet?

Thats a good shot of the wear and tear on the prop blades too.

Regards

Mark

Here's a couple more of the tatty old girl....

23051698.jpg

51530731.jpg

The blisters are indeed being removed from the Mk 5s due, as my namesake says, to the aerodynamic issues of turbulent airflow over the elevators.

As for the neoprene covering, Simon is quite correct as to the whys and wherefores of the stuff. Worth noting that due to the direction of the prop rotation the covering extends all the way up the fuselage on the starboard side but not on the port (first picture above).

Looking at these photographs it looks like the top one 882 has been "strip prepped" which means a lot further protection is applied around the bottom of the fuselage and undercarriage. If you look at the aerials under the belly they have taped up with many layers of black tape for protection. ZH879 is now in the Dark green by the way and looking very smart indeed. :rolleyes:

Simon Fisher