RAF Chivenor 1980's

SimonR

Hi All,

A little while ago I scanned some old photos I took at Chivenor in the early 80's. As spotty teens we used to spend hours sitting on bench on the old railway line that runs up the side of the airfield. Just thought i'd post a few pics for anyone who's interested, not great quality i'm afraid.

Cheers

Simon

chivenor.jpg

151 Squadron Hawks on the north pan, pre-sqdn markings

CANBERRA.jpg

As Air cadets we used to use the shooting range on the far side on the airfield near the estuary, I managed to get a few shots of the old Canberra on the fire dump!

TORNADO.jpg

A visiting Tornado, some time during 1982.

JAGUAR1.jpg

A visiting Jag, around '82

HERCULES.jpg

Couple of Hercs again around '82

WHIRLWIND1.jpg

22 Squadron Whirlwind, soon to be replaced by the Wessex

WHIRLWIND2.jpg

A slightly better shot of the Whirlwinds taken by my big brother on his SLR!

SEAKING.jpg

Interesting contrast, taken in 2009 on a visit home from the same spot!

DOMINIE.jpg

HS125 Dominie departing on a dreary day, 1981 I think

JETPROVOST2.jpg

79 Squadron JP setting off back across the Bristol channel to Brawdy, again around '81

More to follow when I get time to scan them...

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 3

And if you’d had any gliders in those ’82 photos, I’d likely have been in one - I did my ATC Gliding Scholarship at Chivenor over several months in the late summer/Autumn...

bestest,

M.

Not got any photos of gliders, although our ATC HQ was the gliding school and I had a few good trips up in the old Slingsby Sedberghs!

Hi Guys, just added a few more, got stacks of prints but I have lost all the negs and the prints don't scan so well, I'll try and do some more at work next week.

I think I have got another one or two of the Canberra, sadly I didn't have the foresight to do a walkaround!!

Cheers

Si

I think I have got another one or two of the Canberra, sadly I didn't have the foresight to do a walkaround!!

Cheers

Si

Arh yes, foresight for all those old Lightning, Bucc, Canberra etc walkarounds. Also digital would have been good then, now you can 400 pics of nose wheel bolts etc, back then with film and processing you really had to limit blating away!

Julien

• 3 years later...

I Like the old TWCU Tornado and especially the camo JP4 in 79 sqdn colours. I did an Airfix as this one. Will try and do a photo this weekend. Its not a brilliant model having made it a while back!!

• 1 month later...

Happy days Simon!!

I must have met you sometime in the distant past!!!

jon

• Like 1

Great pictures!

Thanks for posting. Do you have more?

If so, please post. Love them... that Canberra is da bomb!

• Like 1