Prismacolor Verithin Pencils

Sundown

Hi everyone,

When I first heard about using a silver pencil to create paint chips and highlight cockpit detail, etc. I thought it was a great idea. While my own attempts at this technique were to my mind satisfactory, I still felt it could be better. It was only when I read an article by Brett Green, where he referred to a 'Verithin' pencil that I thought I might have found what I was looking for.

The pencil in question was a Silver Prismacolor Vertithin by Sanford. It seems the problem with most pencils is that they are thick, with a soft pigment that leaves a bold color but unfortunately dulls quickly and must be resharpened regularly. Prismacolor Verithin pencils are smaller with harder pigment. The pencils tip can be sharpened to a very fine point, and the harder pigment makes these pencils more useful for really fine detail work without the need to be continuously resharpened.

Unfortunately, they are difficult to find in the UK and very expensive to import from the states. luckily enough, I was able to pick up a few in Canada and I am now the proud owner of 84 Verithin silver pencils!! I'm not quite sure why I bought so many, as I'm sure one pencil should last quite a while.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a sales pitch but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying these great pencils? I was thinking about selling them in small quantities for a couple of pounds but please let me know what you think. If the interest is there I will put them in the SELL section of this site, otherwise I will stick the bulk of them on fleaBay.

Regards,

Sean

Edited by Sundown

I'd take a couple of your hands assuming you're not trying to get £100 each :D

Only for the Hasegawa 'limited edition' ones! :winkgrin:

Seriously though, I'm not looking to make any money but instead give others the opportunity to try them, they really are the best silver pencils I have found. Anyway, I would much prefer that the pencils went to nice modelling homes rather than ending up on eBay!

Everyone who has replied seems to want a couple so I thought £2 for 2 pencils delivered anywhere in the UK. That covers the cost of the pencils, an envelope and postage. In my local art shop a 'standard' silver pencil costs £1.35 so hopefully that won't seem too expensive.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM with your delivery address, I can accept PayPal payments (preferred) or cash. If you wish to buy a different quantity send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. I only have a limited number so first come, first served and when they're gone, they're gone!

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sundown

The interest in these pencils has been fantastic, you guys have managed to use up my storage allowance! I have sold 2/3 of what I have, so if you want some you'll have to be quick. For those who have ordered so far, I have a lot of envelopes to stuff! I'm planning to get them posted out on Tuesday so those in the UK should receive them by the end of the week.

Sean.

Edited by Sundown

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Sean,

I was wondering whether there are still some of the pencils available from you? I've just searched for sources of Prismacolor silver pencils on the web and came up with 0, but then discovered this thread...

Cheers

Jeffrey

I have a few left. £1 per pencil plus postage - does that sound reasonable?

I have a few left. £1 per pencil plus postage - does that sound reasonable?

If there are any left I would like a couple. If you could let me have a couple send PM with payment details. I tried sending a PM but your Inbox is full.