Hasegawa 48th F-4K RN Phantom II

Col.

Having bought this kit in 1989 and started in pretty much as soon as it got home I think the time has come to get her finished.

F4-K3.jpg

F4-KRN.jpg

COCKPITS.jpg

FRONTPIT.jpg

RADARPARTS.jpg

Will let the pictures describe what's been done so far for the moment but need to finish the radar and make a new boarding ladder then give her a good clean before a final weathering.

Thanks guys. Was hoping to get some done this evening but only got so far as gathering the references and a fruitless internet search for more photos of the AWG-11 radar unit to help clarify some aspects of it. Tried to take a few more photos including a couple of the intakes but didn't get a clear one for you Unc :( There is an attempt at the trunking in there made using milliput about 15 years ago.

Not much progress to report other than giving the model a good clean. Still a few tight corners to do but getting the worst off.

Here's a couple photos to show the intakes as requested;

Mixed029.jpg

Mixed028.jpg

will you stop it, that now looks more Awesome than it did before (dispite the poor picture quality) :gobsmacked:

if I can get mine to look half as good as that I'll be very happy. Great work Col, you got to finish it mate.

Dave

Cheers for the comments gang (apart from you Mike :bleh: ) Other than a set of Verlinden seats all the extra detail was scratch built using plastic stock, wire, wine-bottle foil, milliput and a bit of plastic bag. Oh and a tub of I can't believe it's not butter for the photos...

Got most of the radar unit wired up and made a little progress with the actuating unit between the dish and main body but nothing else worth taking a crappy photo of yet. With any luck I'll get a bit more done and better pictures taken in daylight tomorrow as I'm off work.

Got a little more done over the last few days but our 10-month-old daughter Iona is down with a bad dose of the cold and needs quite a bit of attention.

Anyway, enough excuses, here's where we are now.

Weathering the underside engine bay area. While RN Phantom's were always kept pretty clean the discolouration and general grime seemed unavoidable in that section.

Mixed017.jpg

Got the two parts of the radar joined together and a bit more detail added. Now this has set there's a couple more small parts to do then get it painted.

Mixed005-3.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments gang :D Not had a chance to do much over the last few evenings but with any luck that shall change tonight. A bit of work-related bad news has put me in the mood for some escape into model-making so next challenge is to finish the radar unit and get a new boarding ladder made.

Will try to take a few daylight photos of the leading edge slats tomorrow for you Periklis. From what I can remember the wing upper halves were thinned prior to being glued together thus keeping the leading edge aerofoil shape after cutting out then a curved piece of plastic sheet was glued in to fill the gap after end pieces were fitted. Main references were the Verlinden Lock-on book covering RAF Phantoms and the Detail & Scale volume on naval variants.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some close-ups for you Periklis. Hope they help but if there's anything else you'd like let me know ;)

Mixed020.jpg

Mixed014-1.jpg

Mixed015.jpg

Finally got the radar finished yesterday.

Mixed011.jpg

Mixed009-3.jpg

Not too much to do now but finding time and motivation is the biggest issue. KUTA required! :lol: