`Super` JP

tc2324

Started sorting out a few bits and pieces for my next `whif` build. So far I have made some very basic `cuts` to the airframe to accomadate an afterburning engine. The aircraft will also get a T-tail, (and thats not for the washing up...), which in turn meant I had to make a cut in the elevators so that the rudder could move. Also looking at giving this wing tip mounted AAM missile launch rails. Pics so far. Got a backstory already planned for this but I may need some help with one minor, (or major, depending on how you look at it), detail. Can anyone tell me what the smallest afterburning engine would have been in the late 80`s?

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Today I tackled the issue of the engine. I need to extend the fuselage and found a 1/48 500lbs bomb sitting in my spares box. After lobbing off the ends it all seemed to fit nicely. Filed and smoothed off the ends and stuck into position.

001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

Then it was just a case of doing some filling of the gaps. I now need to let this dry out and set prior to smoothing off. I may need to do a second application of filler but I`ll have to wait and see.

003-1.jpg

004-3.jpg

I recall it being said that the JP throttle had no effect on the speed but it did vary the noise - your's should trump that comfortably.

Roy Brabrook once posed the question: why did the Javelin take longer to take off with reheat than without? The answer was that the fuel flow system was sized to takeoff - diverting lots of it into the afterburner lost so much in the main engine that overall less thrust came out. At high altitude the main engine drinks less, so up there the afterburner was a real benefit. Hmm - how high is your JP going to go?

Fun though. Considered a singleseater canopy?

I recall it being said that the JP throttle had no effect on the speed but it did vary the noise - your's should trump that comfortably.

Roy Brabrook once posed the question: why did the Javelin take longer to take off with reheat than without? The answer was that the fuel flow system was sized to takeoff - diverting lots of it into the afterburner lost so much in the main engine that overall less thrust came out. At high altitude the main engine drinks less, so up there the afterburner was a real benefit. Hmm - how high is your JP going to go?

Fun though. Considered a singleseater canopy?

Hey Graham, Cheers for those little snippets of info. Without going to much into my back story for now, the idea is that the JP/Strikemaster can use the burner to get out of trouble. Nothing supersonic. Also, again because of the back story it will remain a two seater. As usual everything will be explained, (I hope), in the backstory.

Update for today. Bulk of the model is made. Weapons done, u/c done, primer done. I did think this kit would have a very quick turn around as the modifacations were reasonably simple. Boy, was I wrong.

002-4.jpg

If you made the aft fuselage a tad more rotund and opened up the intakes a little you could go for the reheated Orpheus engine?

Cheers Alex. Will look into that one when I get round to writing the backstory.

Right, decals on and I have to say that after an hour of trying to get these on with out tearing was very painful.

However, got it done in the end and just need to give it another coat of varnish, stick the canopy and weapons on and this should be about done.

001-4.jpg

That jetpipe looks like it's off an F-16. Much bigger than a Jaguar's. I was just thinking, looking at the size of it and the comment made by Alex Gordon about the intakes. Would the standard intakes be able to feed enough air to an engine this big?

Other than that one minor quibble, I love it. I was looking at doing something similar not long ago as a alternative to the Hawk.

Can anyone tell me what the smallest afterburning engine would have been in the late 80`s?

If you made the aft fuselage a tad more rotund and opened up the intakes a little you could go for the reheated Orpheus engine?

Bit late now, but I imagine the most suitable engine would have been the J85. There's no rule that it had to be British, is there?

Edited by pigsty

Time to finish this one off...........,

Strikemaster `2000`

With the retirement of the JP in RAF service by 1994, the BAe Company Directors started to become concerned with the future direction in which the company was heading. With costs climbing with the future Eurofighter project and most of the mid life upgrades to the RAF`s fighter and ground attack fleet in the balance, BAe started to look at sideline projects to help `balance` the books until more positive news with regards to the companies future materialised.

After the success enjoyed with the development and sales of the Strikemaster up until 1984 it seemed a logical choice that this aircraft could be updated and marketed to third world countries looking for a fast agile ground attack aircraft with an air defence capability.

The two key factors for the upgrades were to give the aircraft an after burning engine and also an air defence capability. While the air defence capability speaks for itself, the purpose for the power plant upgrade was for the aircraft to improve it`s acceleration capability rather than push the aircraft into the realms of supersonic flight.

In May 1997 the General Electric YJ101/A was chosen as the power plant for the now named `Strikemaster 2000` project. The GE YJ101/A was a development on the General Electric YJ101 which had powered the Northrop YF-17 in the United States. It then became the basis of the GE F404 which powered the F-18 and the failed F-20 Tigershark. With GE getting it`s cut with any future orders it seemed the perfect choice for the new Strikemaster.

Three aircraft were originally planned with `01` being a mock up for ground instruction and testing. `02` would be a taxi-able version but not chosen for flight testing. That honor would fall to `03` and on the 30th September 1998 `03` was wheeled out at Warton and readied for flight.`03` completed a number of test flights, including live weapons drops of which the pictures below show.

However by the August 1999 not one country had showed a genuine interest in the revival of the Strikemaster. With American warplanes becoming cheaper and even rumours that some US companies were selling their hardware at a loss to keep the competition out, the Strikemaster failed before it had really began and `03` was consigned to the fire dump at Cranwell by 2003.

018.jpg

009-2.jpg