Time for a new airbrush!

SaintsPhil

Evening,

I'm posting mostly for advice but also hopefully to cheer me up after another failed attempt with an airbrush!

I have a cheap (~£25) airbrush I brought from eBay to see if I liked it. I do, when it actually works! So I'm after a replacement. I'm happy to spend £50-£80 ish but might stretch to £100 to get something that will last me a while. Can anyone make sensible suggestions as to what to look for and what to avoid!

I paint indoors, so use acrylics, and mostly 1/72 and 1/48 jets so not sure I need anything for mega detail, at the moment, although the ability to upgrade would be good I guess.

Spare parts are useful too I suspect, I only say this as I think the reason my current AB is done I'd due to the front seal perishing.

Any help from the experts greatly appreciated!!

Phil

Hi Phil.

I'll add the first post with a 10/10 recommendation for the Harder and Steenbeck range..

the build quality is simply fantastic, spare parts are easily avaliable, and the option to upgrade in the future shouldn't be an issue.

They'll propably be many more people with only good things to say abouth theese brushes.

for the scale you build and what you say you need, I would strongly recommend the H&S Evoluton .2, I've got the 2 in 1 version but I can't see myself ever using the .4 needle if you did go for just the .2 option I would also suggest purchasing the larger paint cup also.. you can pick up an Evolution for around £90

Many many people will also recommend Phil of Little-cars.. he stocks the complete H&S range and really knows his stuff.. chech out his stuff here.. http://www.little-cars.co.uk/airbrushes.pdf

also in the past I struggled along with cheap airbrushes from the likes of eBay and had a strong dislike of airbrushing due to various problems I always encountered but since going down the H&S route airbrushing has become quite enjoyable and their SO easy to clean..

I will second the Harder and Steenbeck recomendation, i have an Evolution and cant fault it!

Still Paul, not Phil !

As I sell them I'd obviously say look at the H&S range.

From your requirements, either the Evolution Solo at £87 fits the bill.

You can see the airbrush specs in the catalogue: http://www.little-cars.co.uk/airbrushes.pdf

It has a 0.2mm needle that has coveres the general purpose to detail size painting, and a 2ml paint cup.

And arrives complete with an H&S cleaning brush and Workshop DVD.

The brush has a quick release adapter fitted, but this can be removed and then fits to a standard 1/8th hose.

Spare needles are around £8 and nozzles £12.

Spares listed here http://www.little-cars.co.uk/list1.html

Upgrades. Paint cups, you may need the larger 5ml paint cup, but you can alwats get this later.

There is also a 15ml and 50ml paint cup as well as a micro cup, about 0.5ml for fine detail work.

There are also three other nozzle sets that fit the brush, a fine detail 0.15mm set and for larger area 0.4mm and 0.6mm.

As well as other options like preset handles, mac valves, quick release connectors, airbrush holders.

And easy to clean, as has already been said.

There is the cheaper Ultra brush, which has very limited upgrade options and the Evolution Silverline Solo that has the same spec as the standard Evolution plus a preset handle.

The 2in1 sets save you a few pounds over buying the parts seperately, but if aren't sure you can always go for the solo brush buy the extra parts later.

Hope that helps,

HI

I Have An Iwata HP - CS which Is Superbly Manufactured easy to find Spares

Seems Robust and very versatile, Paul at Little Cars also Sells The Iwata Range

I am very Pleased with my AB

HTH

I'll second that. I find the Iwata Eclipse CS to be smoother and easier to use than most other airbrushes aimed towards the hobby crowd. And personally, I'm not that taken with the H&S's. Nice, innovative tech, but (in my opinion) sloppy triggers and not as tight fitting as most of the better japanese brands. It's a matter of taste, really.

I'll second that. I find the Iwata Eclipse CS to be smoother and easier to use than most other airbrushes aimed towards the hobby crowd. And personally, I'm not that taken with the H&S's. Nice, innovative tech, but (in my opinion) sloppy triggers and not as tight fitting as most of the better japanese brands. It's a matter of taste, really.

I am a recent (well again) convert to the Iwata. I have been using the H&S Infinity 2n1 for the past couple of years and frankly it is just not a good airbrush. I agree with Denstore here, the sloppy trigger and lack of precise fit is an issue along with the seemingly never ending need to replace o rings and seals just makes me loathe using it. I have also never gotten a happy medium from it. I could paint the same paint mixed the same way two days in a row and one day it would spray "ok" and the next it would spatter and sputter and bubble like you would not believe. I have literally just taken delivery of a new Iwata HP-BS and I absolutely LOVE it! Even with a .35 needle in it, I get a much finer line and much better relaibility during a paint session than the H&S.

In fact, I am selling my H&S once I get some pics of it. The Iwata is THAT much better for me. I have owned probably 15 airbrushes in my model lifetime and have tried every brand from Binks & Wren, Badger, Paasche and H&S and here I am back with Iwata....just like I have always done.

Cheers

Mike

PS: try the brushes you may be interested in at shows. You will get a much better feel of what works for you. We all expect different things and have different ways of painting so someones Ferrari may be your Trabant.

I am a recent (well again) convert to the Iwata. I have been using the H&S Infinity 2n1 for the past couple of years and frankly it is just not a good airbrush. I agree with Denstore here, the sloppy trigger and lack of precise fit is an issue along with the seemingly never ending need to replace o rings and seals just makes me loathe using it. I have also never gotten a happy medium from it. I could paint the same paint mixed the same way two days in a row and one day it would spray "ok" and the next it would spatter and sputter and bubble like you would not believe. I have literally just taken delivery of a new Iwata HP-BS and I absolutely LOVE it! Even with a .35 needle in it, I get a much finer line and much better relaibility during a paint session than the H&S.

In fact, I am selling my H&S once I get some pics of it. The Iwata is THAT much better for me. I have owned probably 15 airbrushes in my model lifetime and have tried every brand from Binks & Wren, Badger, Paasche and H&S and here I am back with Iwata....just like I have always done.

Cheers

Mike

PS: try the brushes you may be interested in at shows. You will get a much better feel of what works for you. We all expect different things and have different ways of painting so someones Ferrari may be your Trabant.

I must say it feels nice that somebody finally understands what I've been talking about.:)

And it's not that I'm bashing H&S as a brand. Their airbrushes are probably perfect for people who looks at performance vs price. In that perspective, the H&S, and especially the Evolution is hard to beat. But in my opinion they are not the "german precision tool" that people think.

You should try a Olympos made Micron, Mike. Or a Iwata Micron, if you havn't already. Its the precise fit and feel, supersmooth trigger and long lasting consistency that keeps me coming back to them.

I've had airbrushes of most brands and models now, and in my opinion, there's nothing like them.

They do need a bit of getting used to, and they can be a bit stiff in the first weeks, but they'll grow on you. Only drawbacks are the limited nozzle sizes and of course, the steep price.

Hi

The Iwata Revolutions are also worth a look

And the BR is selling for about £65 now

I have both the the BR and CR and can recomend either of them as a good upgrade to the brush you have at the moment and of the two if you can only have one the CR may be a better choice for spraying model paints as its not quite as fussy as the BR over paint thinning as it has a 0.5 spray head it will almost spray paint un-thinned (Almost) but can still spray quite a thin line.

Paul

Thanks to all for the info, went for the H&S evo from Paul at Little Cars. Great service, arrived next day.

Only managed a few short goes but already worlds apart from the old one. Only problem is now I get a good paint finish all the blemishes and poor seams show up in the primer!!

Thanks

Phil

can i hijack this as I am in the same situation ... found out that the fluid nozzle screw on my cheap starter brush has split and seems to have damaged the part into which it screws (unfortunately it seems this is machined into the main body of the brush so cant be replaced)... looking at little-cars I like the sounds of the H&S Ultra... 2 quick questions

1) can the cup be replaced for a larger one - not sure if 2ml will be enough for all-over grey spraying in 1/72

2) does the cup come with a lid (if not - what is the diameter as I have a lid form my current brush

Looking at the above posts (and others here) I See that H&S is a good choice and I think £50 is going to be close to my limit

thanks guys

1) can the cup be replaced for a larger one - not sure if 2ml will be enough for all-over grey spraying in 1/72

2) does the cup come with a lid (if not - what is the diameter as I have a lid form my current brush

1) Yes, a 5ml push on paint cup is available - Part No. 126893.

2) It doesn't come with a lid, the Part No. is 123463, the diameter of the lid (where it fits into the cup) is 22.1mm > 22.4mm (taper fit)

Can I ask for help about a Revell/Badger that I inherited from my son. Seems clean but when I connect it to the propellant, a) nothing comes out & B) the air comes out from where the hose is connected to the brush. any ideas, am I missing any seals - I have never used one before so I'd appreciate any word of wisdom.

MTIA

• 5 months later...

Can I put a little request on this thread too?

I'm just in the act of moving house, and I've got totally and utterly fed up with my "dual-action" Aztec airbrush. In fact, it's anything but dual-action. In fact, it's totally useless and I don't like it.

So I was looking at a H&S Evolution 0.2 nozzle for a purchase... However, having read this thread, it would appear that it faces stiff competition from the Iwata?

Which is the model of the Iwata that you'd recommend for an equivalent level to the H&S Evolution 0.2? And how much more is it?

I'm going to make this purchase sooner rather than later, that's a promise to myself!

Chris

Well it's been about 6 months since I bought my H&S and I can't fault it! I've never used an Iwata so I can compare if it's better/worse/the same but I can recommend the H&S.

I've done a fair bit of airbrushing since, all acrylics, I was even brave and tried free hand wrap around cammo which came out pretty well overall!

I would suggest getting the larger paint cup as I do find the smaller one runs out halfway through even 1/72 kits, especially if it's single colour.

My only issue to date has been the seal on the front end not being the best. I spoke to Paul at the IPMS show in Birmingham and he told me this was a known issue with the O ring absorbing the cleaning fluid. I had been soaking the parts but after discovering this is stopped and the issue resolved it's self!

Phil

I have both the H&S and Iwata bought from Paul, I must admitt that I prefer to use the Iwata, simply that its more robust, easier in my opionion to clean and sprays great, I would not bother buying cheap air brushes, you end up paying far more because you have to replace them more often especially imitation Iwata brushes from China.

I'm just in the act of moving house, and I've got totally and utterly fed up with my "dual-action" Aztec airbrush. In fact, it's anything but dual-action. In fact, it's totally useless and I don't like it.

So I was looking at a H&S Evolution 0.2 nozzle for a purchase... However, having read this thread, it would appear that it faces stiff competition from the Iwata?

Which is the model of the Iwata that you'd recommend for an equivalent level to the H&S Evolution 0.2? And how much more is it?

I'm going to make this purchase sooner rather than later, that's a promise to myself!

Chris

I run both the Hi Line HP-BH and HP-CH, the BH has the smaller cup and needle for very fine work (although the CH is more than capable for fine lines). They both have an additional air valve on the body of the airbrush so if I want to slightly tweak the air pressure its a touch of my finger. Both cracking airbrushes, had the CH for about 4.5 years and the BH for 2 with no issues and they still work as new. No idea what Paul can supply them to you for, but I would thoroughly recommend them.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry have been away from the forum for a couple of days.

It's difficult to compare one with another.

The H&S 0.2mm nozzle is the standard general to fine detail nozzle.

In the Iwata range this would equate to probably the 0.3mm nozzle of the HP-C+ or HP-CH, so £50-£85 more on street prices is the simple answer.

The only real difference is the HP-CH has a MAC valve on the brush. (you also need to budget for a new airhose for your compressor whichever you go for)

But I'd try the brushes for feel before you buy. Both are totally different to the Aztek, but are put together totally different.

I'll have some at shows, or you can come down to my place to try them out if you fancy trying them.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Paul,

I apologise about the delay in writing back (well, nearly a month at least!) - I didn't actually venture into this section of the forum and totally forgot that I'd written in here.

Thank you so much for the advice - if you're going to be at the Sutton show next month, I'll be there and intend to walk away with a new airbrush (hopefully!!!)

Cheers,

Chris