Magazine madness?

Tim

I like buying model magazines every now and then, especially if it is one that interests me. Although, on several occasions I have shouted out loud about some of their comments. One in particular is how the reviewers, or contributors leave the bomb racks empty "because that is how they are photographed in their references". I could offer 100 pictures of a fully loaded Intruder, Corsair, Skyhawk...Laziness, that's all it is :mg:

Joel (with several models suffering a bomb shortage!)

It's just that they were building Hasegawa OOB........

Yes, but these kits came with a load of weapons, the Revell 1/72 Intruder, the Tamiya 1/32 Strike Eagle are both kits which have a wide choice of armament. I still enjoy buying mags though, it's nice to have a read about your hobby when you are away from the computer.

Joel

I bought a magazine once ..never bought one since I just don't see the Point

Bought a few books for references ..Crap loads on the FGR and F4J Phantoms only ever read one

their on the shelf gathering dust ....

personally I check out your builds and try to copy them badly

What I find with magazines is Here the latest spitfire and ME109 , Or if its armour oh heres the latest tiger tank

Oh that tigers different because col Gruber drove it

So for me I use the interweb

Although, on several occasions I have shouted out loud about some of their comments. One in particular is how the reviewers, or contributors leave the bomb racks empty "because that is how they are photographed in their references".

Ha! Best one I ever saw was a writer who built ALL his models gear down because "aircraft spend 99% of their time on the ground, therefore its unrealistic to build them in a flying pose" :banghead:

My philosophy as a reviewer is to try and include as many of the kits options as possible - if it has a load of stores, load it up etc

As for English and grammar - sorry Edgar but that ain't been taught in British schools for 20+ years. I was certainly never taught it. My English teacher was more interested in pushing her trendy leftist agenda on us and getting us to read "edgy" and "radical" novels than getting our words and punctuation in the right order.

Nev, Edgar's comments were directed at me because he seems to have mis-read my original post. If he'd read it more carefully I assume he would have seen that I wasn't actually criticising poor standards of English in model magazines (although it would be easy to do that, if not a little pointless); my comments were about what magazine editors say (or allow to be said) rather than how they say it. I wasn't going to bother responding to Edgar's post in case I was accused (again!) of causing an argument but I do just have to say that I diasgree entirely with Edgar's suggestion that when a magazine writer or editor uses the term "we" he isn't referring to modellers as a whole. I think anyone would assume that this is precisely what is being implied?

I have stopped buying magazine's. First they are expensive, and do not offer what aircraft modellers like to read. second there are no good reviews in any magazine. To some they are very good, and when bought the kit from the review it is very bad. Both in shape and markings. Same goes for scale drawings, none ever is 100% accurate. One of the reasons they are not is copyright related.

You do not read how long it to to complete an model, and an few hours for perfect model is impossible!

I think anyone would assume that this is precisely what is being implied?

I don't, I have always assumed the author or editor is referring to the editorial staff. To do so otherwise is faintly ridiculous since nobody could otherwise presume to anticipate what the readership is thinking.

peebeep

I sometimes include stores, sometimes not, variety is the spice of life, particularly with several of the same type like P-51s.

As for English and grammar - sorry Edgar but that ain't been taught in British schools for 20+ years. ...

Says it all really (not a personal attack on anyone here I hasten to add).

Mind you I have to admit that my grammar plus sentence structure has gone south since I left school.

As for my spelling don't go there ..And since I have been using the damn computer

My hand writing is crap ...Thinks I need to go to night school

Sorry had to take it off topic :analintruder:

mmm Topic...nice...:P

Ooh aye, remember the advert that was on TV all those years ago?

"What's got a hazelnut in every bite? Squirrel shi..." No that's not it. How did it go again? :huh:

Ooh aye, remember the advert that was on TV all those years ago?

"What's got a hazelnut in every bite? Squirrel shi..." No that's not it. How did it go again? :huh:

A warning for younger readers: The ingestion of squirrel fecal matter may lead to exposure to various zoonotic diseases, including but not limited to:

Squirrel parapoxvirus

Rabies

Plague

West Nile Virus

It should be noted that Squirrel Metabolic Disorder is not transmittable to humans.

It should also be noted that, technically, squirrel fecal matter does not contain the whole fruit of theCorylus avellana, merely the indigestible portions thereof.

Thank you for your attention: We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Paul Bradley