Stretched Landrover!

willskip

Hi, while driving North on the M6 near Carlisle today, I saw three Landrovers on transporters, headed South. They were all probably twice the length of a long bodied Lrover and had twin rear axles. All had side, bar type standoff armour and were painted in sand/desert type colour. They looked very odd.

I have never seen or heard of anything like this before.

Can anyone help please?

Bill O'Brien

Land Rover displayed a wide bodied 6x6 light military vehicle with removable rear body at the 2007 Defence Systems Exhibition International (DSEi) in London. It was one of 10 vehicles constructed for the Oman Army but never delivered... it had a similar rear suspension and drive as fitted to the Australian Perentie 6x6.

AFAIK the British forces don't use the Landrover 6x6, but IIRC the Australian's do:

2177276804_51c0320212.jpg

The vehicle illustrated is a Land Rover 6 x 6 supplied to the Australian Army under Project Perentie (Perentie is a large Australian goanna). This version is used by the Australian Special Forces but other variants are employed as cargo/troop carriers, ambulances and radio vehicles. They have a high degree of commonality with a 4 x 4 version and both were made in Australia and had a high degree of Australian design content (especially the 6 x 6). They are powered by 3.9-litre Isuzu diesel engines, the 6 x 6 having a turbo charged version. The gearbox was the integrated Rover unit first used on the Range Rover and 101 Inch Forward Control and the drive for the 6 x 6's third axle used the power take off cross-linked to the differential lock. While the 4 x 4 used a modified Land Rover 110 chassis, the 6 x 6 had a space frame type structure with a new wider cab.

Great vehicles to drive but sadly about to be replaced by Mercedes G-Wagens although some will remain after going through a refurbishment programme. Most date from the 1980s but a small batch of 6 x 6s was built later.

Make a great kit although I don't fancy converting either the Hobby Boss or Airfix Land Rovers!

Hi, thanks to all for their input about these vehicles.

The Perentie is certainly the closest to what I saw. These three vehicles had solid rear bodies and not canvas. They looked as if they were designed to carry personnel rather than anything else. Also I didn't see any markings. They also looked 'new' but that may have just been the paint job!

Regards,

Bill O'Brien

The Perentie is certainly the closest to what I saw. These three vehicles had solid rear bodies and not canvas. They looked as if they were designed to carry personnel rather than anything else. Also I didn't see any markings. They also looked 'new' but that may have just been the paint job!

Regards,

Bill O'Brien

The Australian Army operates a range of 6 X 6 Landrover Perenties in addition to the special forces patrol vehicle shown above. See http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustr...walkaround.html

They are in the process of being replaced by Mercedes G-Class in 4 X 4 and 6 X 6 configurations. I wonder if Bill's 6 X 6 Landrovers were ex-Australian Army.

The special forces patrol vehicles are being replaced by a Supacat design called "Nary" in Australian service. I understand that the British Army operates similar vehicles.

David

Regards,

Bill O'Brien

Land Rover has been showing Perentie-derived 6 x 6s - there was one at the 2009 Defence Vehicle Dynamics show (but not last year). The British Army uses a 6 x 6 version of the Pinzgauer but they are forward control vehicles.

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/index.php/en/6x4-and-6x6

The "Sandringham Six". It was on "Tommorows World" back in the70's, hence the lack comercial sucess.

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/index.php/en/centaur-half-track

Centaur, from the 80s.

WARNING! Do not click these links! I did and spent over an hour on that site! Some very interesting stuff. Now I need a pile of landy kits for all those conversions!

Now I need a pile of landy kits for all those conversions!

Many years ago I attended the IMEE at Ally Pally, and there was a display by a guy who did nothing but Jeep variants in 1/35. It filled a table...