27 Sqn Blenheims at Singapore IN COLOUR!

mhaselden

V5591 belonged to 11 Sq. Engine cut on take-off,crashlanded in orange grove 2nm north of Aqir 22.6.41.

Looks like desert scheme, quite rightly for 11 Sq.

However, V5581 was intially 84 Sq, then Far East NFT 1.2.42. Again, the desert scheme is entirely appropriate to its history.

Thanks Graham. If we assume the official airframe records are correct (they aren't always, but there's no reason to doubt them), then it looks like V5581.

I didn't make it clear from my first post but this image was taken by the Japanese after the surrender. The aircraft in question was one of the abandoned airframes captured by them. Location is uncertain although Tengah has been offered as one possible location although Palembang seems far more likely.

KR

Mark

Edited by mhaselden

Hi Graham,

I presume the info in BS V2 about 84 Sqn's movements came from the Sqn's 540 but it's hard to be certain given the lack of references in the book. Your premise about 211 Sqn is at least feasible - the lack of unit markings on V5581 coupled with what appears to be a variant of desert camo would fit with V5581 belonging to 211 Sqn given that unit's role as an OCU in N. Africa.

Thanks for the info...and sorry for duplicating discussions here and on j-aircraft!

Cheers,

Mark

Summer-san has also posted the pic of PT-F that has been discussed at length before on this forum. For reference, the pic is below:

1c8a155a00906668988fae61012dbd7b.jpg

According to my Google translation of Summer-san's description of this image, it was taken at Sungei Patani. If Summer-san's location is correct, then this cannot be the aircraft flown by Arthur Scarf on his VC-winning mission because he landed at Alor Star. Presumably, then, the identification of Blenheim L1134 as "his" aircraft could be correct even though we now know that it wasn't PT-F.

I also Googled a translation of the note included with the earlier pic of V5581 which indicated that the original image was taken in Java.

To me, the desert camo points to the aircraft having served, as AB say, with 84 Sq earlier. A photo of another 211 Sq Blenheim en-route to Java (in BS) shows an aircraft in Temperate Land.

I don't know about 84 Sq in particular, but it was common for Blenheim squadrons in the desert to only carry the individual code letter, and it looks as though there may be one forward of the roundel on V5581. This also tended to be the case for an unit acting as OCU.

Nothing wrong with some duplication between sites where there's unlikely to be a lot of overlap of readership.

Guys,

The photo of V5581 was taken at Kalidjati airbase in West-Java. It was captured intact but unserviceable; made flyable at Kalidjati and then flown to Andir airbase for further inspection and repairs if necessary; test flown at Andir but further history unknown. Best regards,

Peter Boer

• 3 months later...

Sorry for dusting off this old, and very long, thread but what are folks' opinions about the installation of bomb sights in the 27 Sqn Blenheims. It seems likely that the aircraft went into battle with Light Series Carriers under the rear fuselage so one could argue that bomb sights would have been retained in the navigator's position in the forward nose. Of course the counter to that argument is that the low altitude at which these strafe-cum-bombing sorties were conducted would obviate the need for any form of navigator-operated bomb sight.

I've looked through the available LIFE pics and can't find anything definitive. Anyone got any better ideas or precedence for fighter Blenheims retaining the bomb sight?

Many thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time to wrap up this thread with my 800th post.

Back to the oft-reproduced photo that had been identified as L1134, PT-F. That image can be accessed via the IWM's on-line search capability and is probably the best quality without looking at the original negative.

Look just below the port wing root and the bottom horizontal leg of the individual code letter is just visible:

large.jpg

I think that visible part of the code letter confirms this aircraft as L4928, PT-E, as seen in the LIFE archive pics:

L4928, PT-E

Note both images show an aircraft with all-black undersides, roundels under the wings and no gun pack. Also, the individual code letter on the IWM image is considerably smaller than the sqn codes, just like PT-E in the LIFE photo. Since both images were almost certainly taken on the same day, I think there's a pretty good chance they are the same airframe. The only other alternative for the IWM image would be PT-L or PT-Z but those are less likely since all other pics of 27 Sqn Blenheims show full-sized individual airframe code letters.

And now let's finish this long-running thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by mhaselden

• 6 months later...
I just noted on my Post #357 that the fin of that Blenheim appears to have a light-toned (probably yellow) leading edge.

Of course the photo of Beau I've posted relates to these lighter leading edges. What was the reason??? De-icing???

Or... is it not Beau, but Blenheim? 307 had some Blenheims for training.

Edited by GrzeM

Back to the oft-reproduced photo that had been identified as L1134, PT-E. That image can be accessed via the IWM's on-line search capability and is probably the best quality without looking at the original negative.

I don't know if you realise that this shot of PT-E is taken from a film sequence that is included in the World At War TV series, namely the episode about the rise of Japan. My copy is on good old VHS tape that doesnt pause very well but maybe some better detail could be gleaned off a DVD version?

Mick