What If II GB

Couldn't find a decent (or rather... cheap enough) Lancaster at Saturday's show but I did find a PB4 Y-2 Privateer which will do quite nicely. a six engined Catalina with a HUUUUUGE wingspan and some other bits of the Privateer transplanted to the Cat. Should look big when done :D I think I'm gonna do it in Dutch colours like I did the Twin Corsair.

Couldn't find a decent (or rather... cheap enough) Lancaster at Saturday's show but I did find a PB4 Y-2 Privateer which will do quite nicely. a six engined Catalina with a HUUUUUGE wingspan and some other bits of the Privateer transplanted to the Cat. Should look big when done :D I think I'm gonna do it in Dutch colours like I did the Twin Corsair.

Sounds great! Will look forward to seeing that!

I just looked at the start date of this GB... and it's a bloody year from now ! And this while my idea just keeps growing and solidifying in my head. that's gonna be a LONG year :(

• 2 weeks later...

Someone should have a go at something like this

Reverse-Aircraft-Carrier-634x501.jpg

(someone other than me that is, im still relativly sane ;))

Edited by AndyP

Someone should have a go at something like this

reverse-aircraft-carrier.jpg

(someone other than me that is, im still relativly sane ;))

Is that some type of stealthy design Andy? :P

Well whos going to be expecting an Inverse aircraft carrier to be deploying flying boats over the desert??? they'd never see it coming, not in a million years :P

i too cant wait to get going with this, and i dont suppose there is any harm with doing a few whiffs while we wait, would help wet out appetite whats not to like, im itching to do my hunter in a special scheme that i still am keeping underwraps as i want it to be a suprise but im itching to share it with the bm world.

another new idea ive had was inspired by listening to a guy in the raf who was on vc10s in the gulf saying that the vulcan could have made a contribution as t could have carried i think 14 lazer guided weapons in the bomb bay and 2 on each wing.

imagine it a pink vulcan with black radome, shark mouth and eyes now that would look pretty meanaceing and awsome, i think.

with some cool female art on the tail. with bombs

in fact im gonna do that definatly

in a what if group build?

no sidewinders or avon engines?

no, just the 8 x 0.303 Brownings and mk.1 eyeball with a Merlin III up front as per usual.

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this today, I'll officially recommit to the Valkyrie B Mk. 1 I wanted to do for the original What-If GB, but with a much better-detailed kit to work with:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC2015

I'm already planning to buy four of these (historical prototype markings and whiffs of a B-70A in SAC natural metal, RAF Valkyrie Mk. 1 and B-70C in current-era Gunship Gray). I'll probably try to do at least one other build for this GB, but the big question is what. 1970s-current schemes for the CF-14, CF-15 and CF-20 in Canadian Forces/RCAF (so nice to be able to say that in the present tense again) markings are high on the list, but I have a lot of other F-20 based ideas and the thought of a photo reconnaissance P-69 has a certain appeal (on the premise that since the US Army had little need for interceptors in WWII, the P-69 might have found its niche as a high-speed, high-altitude recce bird...and it would look good in Haze Blue with invasion stripes, pinup noseart and a slew of mission marks...)

Edited by Sabre_days

The back story is in pre production but supposes that WWII never happened, so what did the RAF do with those Spiitfires it didn't pass to France, Turkey or Estonia?

Trevor

Sounds like a very interesting idea. I'm also contemplating a whiff of the Airfix Spitfire I, but focusing on export markings. The thought of whiffing the Spitfire IX on the premise of Ireland not having stayed neutral in WWII (IAC markings with a kill tally and invasion stripes) is also on the "possibilities" list, along with the Seafire XVII as a USN F1S-2, maybe with Operation Downfall invasion stripes...

...cant wait to get going with this, and i dont suppose there is any harm with doing a few whiffs while we wait, would help wet out appetite... itching to do my hunter in a special scheme that i still am keeping underwraps as i want it to be a suprise but im itching to share it with the bm world.

Go for it Rob! Perhaps we need an inspiration gallery of previous What If's to get us all in the mood once this one kicks off?

another new idea ive had was inspired by listening to a guy in the raf who was on vc10s in the gulf saying that the vulcan could have made a contribution as t could have carried i think 14 lazer guided weapons in the bomb bay and 2 on each wing.

imagine it a pink vulcan with black radome, shark mouth and eyes now that would look pretty meanaceing and awsome, i think.

Ooh now this does sound good!

The back story is in pre production but supposes that WWII never happened, so what did the RAF do with those Spiitfires it didn't pass to France, Turkey or Estonia?

Sounds interesting Trevor. Look forward to reading the full back-story once you get going.

Just saw this today, I'll officially recommit to the Valkyrie B Mk. 1 I wanted to do for the original What-If GB, but with a much better-detailed kit to work with...

I'm already planning to buy four of these (historical prototype markings and whiffs of a B-70A in SAC natural metal, RAF Valkyrie Mk. 1 and B-70C in current-era Gunship Gray). I'll probably try to do at least one other build for this GB, but the big question is what. 1970s-current schemes for the CF-14, CF-15 and CF-20 in Canadian Forces/RCAF (so nice to be able to say that in the present tense again) markings are high on the list, but I have a lot of other F-20 based ideas and the thought of a photo reconnaissance P-69 has a certain appeal (on the premise that since the US Army had little need for interceptors in WWII, the P-69 might have found its niche as a high-speed, high-altitude recce bird...and it would look good in Haze Blue with invasion stripes, pinup noseart and a slew of mission marks...)

Not one but three interesting options for the Valkrie alone and the PR-69 sounds a great idea as well.

Sounds like a very interesting idea. I'm also contemplating a whiff of the Airfix Spitfire I, but focusing on export markings. The thought of whiffing the Spitfire IX on the premise of Ireland not having stayed neutral in WWII (IAC markings with a kill tally and invasion stripes) is also on the "possibilities" list, along with the Seafire XVII as a USN F1S-2, maybe with Operation Downfall invasion stripes...

Then you come up with another three great ideas. You're going to have a hard time choosing which of these to do first - leave some ideas for the rest of us! :lol:

Not one but three interesting options for the Valkrie alone and the PR-69 sounds a great idea as well.

Thanks. One stumbling block with the P-69 idea is that if I did that I'd also want to build a second in plain OD/NG camo with just national insignia (my usual impulse when modeling unbuilt design studies is to build it as designed, in generic markings to convey the fact that it is an unbuilt project and show it in the most "factual" form possible). I'd only want to do a more "out there" whiff if I'd also build the subject in that manner. Which wouldn't be a problem if the Anigrand kit weren't fairly expensive and hard to find (Rollmodels and Nostalgic Plastic are sold out, and although the kit's page is still accessible via Google on Anigrand's site and has an "add to cart" button, it doesn't seem to be in their catalogue anymore, which seems ominous). After I pay off this month's credit card bill, I may try ordering two, though...

The bigger problem is that the Anigrand kit has the wing planform shown in a fairly widely-reproduced three-view, which I think dates back to the Sixties, that shows a constant-chord section near the root:

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2069_XP-69.htm

Several posters in the P-69 thread on secretprojects.co.uk seemed dubious about what function it could serve with no dihedral change or obvious relationship to flaps or control surfaces. My knowledge of aerodynamics is limited to private pilot ground school level material, so I can't really comment much on its possible utility, but the large-scale wind tunnel model had a continuous taper as shown in this drawing:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=6639

I'd be inclined to modify the wing to represent that configuration: I have seen some primary source documents that show the constant-chord section, but not knowing their date relative to the model and lacking any evidence to the contrary I'm inclined to take the wind tunnel model as the most "definitive" known configuration (besides, I think the steady taper looks better ;)). Doesn't look like too great a chore to trim them down, though. I may just go through with this one, if only I can get the kit...

A plausible service designation is another issue, as the entire "F" series is taken up to the F-15 Reporter, which post-dates WWII. I'm inclined to appropriate the Mosquito's F-8 designation and either bump everything afterwards up by one or else say that the USAAF didn't use PR Mosquitoes (or at least not enough to allocate a designation) in this timeline because of the recce P-69's availability.

Then you come up with another three great ideas. You're going to have a hard time choosing which of these to do first - leave some ideas for the rest of us!

Thanks! At the rate I build it'll be a long time before I get to some of these, if ever. I will, I promise. ;)

The IAC Spit might even spin into a small "IAC at War" series, though now that I think of it a rapid wartime expansion might make a name change to Irish Air Force logical...

And I think I made a gaffe with the designation for my US Navy Seafire whiff: FS would never be amended to F1S, particularly without a second design from the same manufacturer, so it would be FS-2 (FS-1 having historically been assigned to a Seafire -presumably a Mk. II- borrowed for evaluation, to my knowledge the Mk. XV evaluated later never got a USN designation and I believe it was postwar and therefore outside the timeline for a "46" whiff, therefore -2 would be the next version).

Edited by Sabre_days

i too cant wait to get going with this, and i dont suppose there is any harm with doing a few whiffs while we wait, would help wet out appetite whats not to like, im itching to do my hunter in a special scheme that i still am keeping underwraps as i want it to be a suprise but im itching to share it with the bm world.

Great idea! I look forward to seeing that one...

That reminds me, musn't ignore the Dragon/Cyber-Hobby YB-49's whiff potential... B)

Edited by Sabre_days