What If II GB

The Vickers Vancouver B1 entered service with the RAF in late 1947. These aircraft were in an overall High Speed Silver scheme... A small number were converted to the long-range recce role as PR3s. These had High Speed Silver uppersurfaces and PRU Blue undersurfaces.

The final recce Vancouvers were withdrawn in early 1970, having outlasted the type which was supposed to have replaced it.

Very impressive back-history there and an interesting range of possible schemes on the various variants. The HSS over PRU Blue PR3 in particular caught my imagination.

Hmm was thinking Fleet Air Arm F-18 Super Hornet on board the catapult equipped HMS Prince of Wales carrier... nah thats just too damn silly... ;)

ooooo or even sillier, a FAA Rafale M haha

Edited by Kallisti

Hmm was thinking Fleet Air Arm F-18 Super Hornet on board the catapult equipped HMS Prince of Wales carrier... nah thats just too damn silly... ;)

ooooo or even sillier, a FAA Rafale M haha

Perhaps we need a 'What may be' GB to cover those ideas...

What if after IIww Russians send some help to communists in Franco Spain? I'm thinking about T-34/85 in anarchist or communist colors.

Edited by wosipunk

What if after IIww Russians send some help to communists in Franco Spain? I'm thinking about T-34/85 in anarchist or communist colors.

Good to hear of something other than aircraft being thought about for a change!

Hmm, Des the kit have to be modified or can it just be an aircraft in markings that it never actually wore? Got a few ideas rolling around my head..

Either or is fine for this one. If we have enough entries there is a likelyhood we will split the GB into two categories; one for structural modifications and the other for colour/marking schemes. So long as it didn't really exist and you can think up a back story to explain why it could have you're welcome to join in.

Still debating which one of my projects will get done for this.

May do my version of the JagdSherman that I thought up a long time ago but have seen at least a couple built. But my vision is different, haha. Course, still got to figure out how the US would have done the mantlet for it. Or maybe an Israeli Panther (modified) would be good.

Got so many aircraft ideas it gets hard to keep track of. Will have to see what I haven't started when this kicks off.

Take it Sci Fi/Fantasy whiffs work for this? Been thinking about some of those Dust miniatures.

Good to hear of something other than aircraft being thought about for a change!

Either or is fine for this one. If we have enough entries there is a likelyhood we will split the GB into two categories; one for structural modifications and the other for colour/marking schemes. So long as it didn't really exist and you can think up a back story to explain why it could have you're welcome to join in.

Nice one, Shall look into something then!

What if the assination of Adolph Hitler in July 1944 had succeeded?

Himmler, Goebbels and Goering also died in the explosion and the Nazi party imploded. Erwin Rommel became Chancellor of the third Reich. He sued for peace with the promise of a staged retreat to pre-war borders. The western Allies were very happy to accept this plan and an armistice was signed in September 1944. However, the Soviets carried on with their advance, intending to push through to the Channel coast. When this became clear, the Western allies realised that they needed to use Germany as a buffer zone. Therefore, the German armed forces were reinforced with Allied equipment as well as German equipment built in factories in France, Belgium and the Netherlands in an attempt to kick-start the engineering industries of the formerly occupied countries.

This gives an opportunity to have P-47s, P-51s and Typhoons in Luftwaffe late-war camouflage schemes, without that pesky hakenkreuz. It also gives an opportunity for a Comet - or even better, a Centurion - in the German three-colour tank scheme. The possibilities are endless.

toying with the Gnat... dodgy Airfix Red Arrows one... maybe convert it to 2 engine RAF scheme... not sure yet.... back story is the problem... well I suppose upgrade of under-powered Gnat, had 2 powerplants used, redesigned intakes - something along those lines.....

toying with the Gnat... dodgy Airfix Red Arrows one... maybe convert it to 2 engine RAF scheme... not sure yet.... back story is the problem... well I suppose upgrade of under-powered Gnat, had 2 powerplants used, redesigned intakes - something along those lines.....

having just seen my sons new Lego Magazine (they are producing a red arrows hawk technic kit - but it has swing wings)..... I thought - ooohhhh how about a twin-engined jet with swing wings based on the Gnat Airframe....

as a purely technical exercise (I will try to do this) what would need to happen to the airframe to allow this to happen - thinking wider, taller... improved landing gear? anything else I might need to ponder

I've got an Airfix 1/72 Avenger that I've cut up and used for spares on a vac kit I'm doing. So got most the fuselage etc still sat around, toying with a turbo engined firebomber. They never existed with a turbo engine, so this could of been the upgrade.

as a purely technical exercise (I will try to do this) what would need to happen to the airframe to allow this to happen - thinking wider, taller... improved landing gear? anything else I might need to ponder

I'd be tempted to make a Soviet-style swing wing, with the wing gloves fixed and the pivots for the variable geometry parts set well outboard.

I'm tempted to join. I've got something thats been on my stalled stash. Hasegawa Northrop F-20 Tiger shark. Toying with doing this as Canadian or RAF, or.........

I am also tempted to add UK style underwing stores for, perhaps, an Auxilary Squadron one!!

Edited by Paul J

My back story starts with Hitler in full flow at one of his Nuermberg rallies. Then 'something' happens and basically wipes out the Nazi Party in one fell swoop.

This results in my Spitfire mk.I being parked outside Templehof a few years later.......

Trevor

I'd be tempted to make a Soviet-style swing wing, with the wing gloves fixed and the pivots for the variable geometry parts set well outboard.

any specific aircraft in mind?

Still looking at a Revell PB4-Y Privateer Academy PBY Catalina Kit Bash to make a very long range Atlantic bomber to close the Atlantic Gap in WW2. And oh yeah... probably in Dutch markings :D