Ninety Blue

NeilF92

Thanks Enzo - yes still a WIP - had to redo the sky and haven't quite figured out how it should look finally.

Also , at this , size 24" x18" , Acrylic on canvas there's a lot of detail to go into the aircraft.

Hi Neil

Hope you will forgive me sticking my oar in

The port wing is looking a bit wide compared to the starboard.

Also watch the perspective on the nose ring.

Have done a quick alteration of the wing in Gimp on the laptop

lightning.jpg

Still not correct as the trailing edge could use more angle, but I just wanted to try and illustrate my point.

Took some off The trailing edge and you can see it has had the leading edge removed.

Also I popped on a black line to represent the no walk line.

The painting is looking ace

keep up the good work!

Thanks Walrus - no problems re pointing things out.

I've had some concerns about that port wing .

The problem for me is that I have taken photos of my 1/48th Lightning and this is how the wing comes out . Could be that the lens used is too large - - should be 50mm equivalent .

I'll double check - using a very quick APM 3D projection - that should let me see the right dimensions .

Thanks jimbuna.

Walrus -

I made a quick APM projection but the difficulty with that is getting the parameters to produce the exact pitch and roll and viewpoint as in the photo.

I rechecked the tracing from the photo and found it was accurate and I can line the plastic model up with the painting and confirm all the angles are as drawn so at the moment I'm sticking with it .

APM offers the best chance of getting it right but ,as said, it is time consuming working through the possible combinations of angle to duplicate this image.

I have changed one line - that is the flap hinge on the port wing which I had slant the opposite way to what it should be . Also - I will probably cut the trailing edge of the port wing to meet the fuselage further forward.

Any distortion could be the result of a viewpoint too close to the subject but at the moment I'm leaving it be till I do a bit more thinking and try outs.

It is quite tricky to get the model poised at the right angle and see that the image agrees - very easy to set up what I think is the angle only to find various lines do not agree - but it can be done so I need to check it out before changing anything .

Edited by NeilF92

I have a 50mm lens on my big camera but am unwilling to swap lenses because of the dust mote problems that entails . The small Powershot zoom is difficult to figure out where 50mm is so lens distrortion is a probability - I can see the exif readings and most were at 140mm equiv. but at quite a distance from the model.

Edited by NeilF92

Still working on this one .

Walrus :

Have amended the far wing by cutting back the outer half of the port wing leading edge which had crept a bit too far forward in the painting.

Also cut off a little of the whole trailing edge of the same wing. Still need to align that trailing edge with the flap hinge line .The end of the wing needs to be squared off plus the roundel on that wing needs a slight adjustment. Next the background will need to be gone over to ensure it all blends smoothly after the modifications. Then check the aircraft and add further details . The a/c outline was probably skewed by lens distortion but I've finally managed to replicate the viewing angle in APM and get a good likeness to what is now on canvas . The viewpoint is probably too close - 100 ft away but I'll stick with this now.

Thanks for the comments and crit .

Edited by NeilF92

Took some time out to rework the port wing on this one - As Walrus pointed out - it wasn't right . The canvas image now lines up with a 1/48th scale model at that angle and size so I'm sticking with this now . I'm treating this one as a colour study for the real thing when I will make damn sure the perspective is spot on before committing to canvas !

Still have to rework the sky behind the a/c and take out the scary blue tints bottom right . Not finished detailing the a/c as yet and need to deal with the arrow and roundel nose marks .

Edited by NeilF92

Very nice work!

I thought you might be amused by this photo I found, if you haven't seen it already.

To me that definitely looks like there's a wing missing. Is there something about the Lightning's form that produces these 'wrong' perspectives?

lightning.jpg

Thanks Walrus , Srecko and Larkie ,

Larkie - the Lightning was never easy to draw , drooping inboard leading edges and from slab side into cylinders in the fuselage make it tricky to get right . Fortunately I know it well enough to be at ease with that photo but I can see why it would throw some folks.

The painting has since been modified even further to show a difference in angles between the wing trailing edge and tail wing leading edge but I won't post again till complete . Down to my mistake eyesight and wishful thinking I'm afraid .

Edited by NeilF92

Well, that's another excellent piece of work, Neill. :clap:

For some reason I'd missed a few of your earlier pictures and was just looking through them now.

I wondered who some of your main influences are artistically - other aviation artists or just in general (- I say that because in some of these paintings the landscape looks as important as the aircraft themselves)?

A week's holiday starting today and you've inspired me to get drawing again!

Hi Dave -Those photos are of Sierra at a later stage when the Sqn lost the arrow head nose and had to adopt the standard checks .

Never seen those shots before - very interesting indeed.

Larkie

Influences ? Too many to mention but Frank Wooton first and foremost . I just about read the ink off the pages of his "How to Draw Planes " book when I was a youngster . Some of Rex Flood's work also inspired me but the landscapes began to feature more when I discovered low level jet hill side photography in Wales and the Lakes . Always had a passion for jets at low level since my teenage years near Lossie.

• 2 weeks later...