A good book to read

jussie202

If you fancy reading a couple of interesting accounts of WWII Luftwaffe pilots then try Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel and Stormbird by Herman Buchner.

Just finished them both and they're fantastic accounts.

If you fancy reading a couple of interesting accounts of WWII Luftwaffe pilots then try Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel and Stormbird by Herman Buchner.

Just finished them both and they're fantastic accounts.

I read Stuka Pilot many years ago, and I'd agree it's great. Mine was an American edition with a fold-out A4 glossy print of the cover illustration. It also had a disclaimer in the front relating to the writer's political views, which I found kind of silly.

I'll look out for Stormbird, as I'm always looking to read accounts by former Luftwaffe pilots - thanks for the recommendation.

I always find it scary when I read about Luftwaffe subjects how easy I find it is to ignore the crappy politics & admire the courage & professionalism displayed against overwhelming odds. Maybe after growing up during the cold war it is easy to dismiss the Russians on the eastern front as being the "bad guys" but when I find myself taking sides against American Mustangs/B-17s & British Spitfires/Tempests/Lancasters then it easy to understand why Luftwaffe subjects have such fascination. I've not read either of the above but will have to hunt them down.

Steve.